Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Lol https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=16541235 "All of Oculus’s Rift headsets have stopped working due to an expired certificate"

O R they?
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Mine worked throughout... hey ho. It's fixed all now anyway. Free store credit if you were affected. No idea if that means me.  No beef if they want to give me a tenner's credit.
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • Bought Sprint Vector and Knockout League yesterday. Both seem to suffer from control issues. Knockout League gives great immersion with the opponent right in front of you, but Sprint Vector is a nightmare trying to follow the courses. Or maybe it was just me? Anybody else find the same?
    PSN: LtPidgeon - Live: Lt Pidgeon
  • Has anyone found a successful workaround for the first model of PSVR with an HDR telly? There seems to be a few options with either using an AV amp or HDMI splitter with varying degrees of success.
    PSN: LtPidgeon - Live: Lt Pidgeon
  • Google's Welcome to Light Fields is up on Steam. Apparently it's seriously impressive.
  • Chet Faliszek's thought on Facebook's chubby for XR: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/980861065989783552.html
    I recently posted about Oculus/Facebook and their data collection. Let me go more in depth and this isn’t just about today this is about the future of XR. At the heart of the matter are these points where their privacy policy and actions differ from other XR companies. 1/many
    FB tracks and stores all device movement and location. They also have wording to allow them to track all communication and interaction with their services. They have been caught capturing call and sms data on android phones through their FB app using similar language. 2/
    FB doesn’t have a Hardware guy in charge of Oculus Hardware – instead, they have Boz – an ad guy, a data guy who recently made thoughts on your value as a FB user very clear. And if you are still confused, FB isn’t a social media company, it is a data tracking company. 3/
    Why care that they track this data? Think the future, not just today. When there are XR apps and devices that you use regularly outside your home. Where natural feature tracking means cameras and microphones strapped to your head recording and saving everything. 4/
    Why should you care that Facebook collects all this data?
    They have already sold ads excluding POC. So what about the next set of political ads? Sell them only to people who haven’t seen a POC in the last 7 days. Oh, wait they have, let’s change the message… 
    5/
    They have been caught selling anti-Semitic ads. They still allow it. Think how much more targeted they can be. Do you drive by a synagogue regularly but not ever enter? Have you visited a store run by a “Jewish looking man”? Let’s stir up some hate! 
    6/
    They have been caught offering ads towards depressed teens. Not seeing enough smiles in your world? Let’s taunt you, if only you had these new items, then people would smile when they saw you… 
    7/
    Facebook recently sent a survey asking if pedophiles should be able to request photos from underage users on FB. So let’s look at positional data, they are small, let’s look at visual, they are in a room with 2 adults – let’s have some kids only fun! Don’t tell mom and dad… 
    8/
    That they have been subpoenaed by ICE is normal - that they have so much information to give ICE is not. Let's add facial recognition. In your world, you gave money to the homeless, in Trump's world you just aided a possible immigrant terrorist. 
    9/
    Or how about game developer Rami and his continual being stopped for “random” checks at airports. Who happens when the Facebook data shows that you were with him? Should they stop you as well? Can you trust all your in life friends? 
    10/
    For you 2nd amendment fans – that headset is counting the number of guns you have in your house as you clean them, the ATF just saw you have one more than registered… knock knock 
    11/
    Facebook has been fined in Spain for not deleting data it collected but was no longer useful for the reason it was collected. Its violations in Europe are too plentiful to list all here. 
    12/
    So it isn’t just Facebook and what they will do with this data, but this data’s existence is a threat to our privacy and freedom.Facebook has done more than above, there are more scenarios. They have also apologized for the above and yet continue doing many of these things. 
    13/
    A future apology isn’t enough. This isn’t to say throw out your Oculus rift. This isn’t to say they can’t change – but right now today – they need to remove that language from their privacy policy and put in place policies not that protect that data – but don’t collect it. 
    14/
    Until then, when they say they are serious about privacy? They clearly aren’t. A privacy policy itself is just a list of privacy violations. Really caring means not collecting the data in the first place. As users or employees of FB – request they change this policy now. 
    15/
    A footnote, someone asked me why now. First the above revelations about the android data and who is in charge or Oculus. But this issue isn’t new for me, I couldn’t find the article but back in 1997 I found the possibly the first public adware and Wired wrote a story on it. 
    16/
    I worked against the adware industry for years, with enough success a company once sent a goon to my house to try and intimidate me. I threw him off my property and redoubled my efforts. 

That company is gone… I am still here. 

/end
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Just played Wipeout VR. Absolutely smashing. Wonderful immersion and the best sense of being there I've had. Even better it's a fully fledged game, not a bolt on like (the brilliant) Star Wars mission.

A word of warning. I'm not that susceptible to VR sickness, but had a slight heady feeling at the start of the game and taking off the headset. Only played one race, but I'm guessing some people may feel queasy.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    That's pretty cool
  • Free VR Steam weekend on Talos Principal and Serious Sam, plus spring sale.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Any interest in the Oculus Go?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • We have one... one of my colleagues is at F8 and they’ve got a freebie. Will give impressions next week :)
  • Rift 2 seems to be shaping up nicely.

• jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Nice.
  • Fancy a session this week Tom?
  • It's too hot, up for a game when my house temperature has dropped though.
  • That's definitely one of the problems with VR. I haven't played since the heatwave started.
  • Yeah, I keep thinking, I should really try finishing Until Dawn.

Then I remember how hot it is and don't do that.
  • Ib got skyrim vr last night in sale.
    Played it till near 6am this morning by accident.
    Been on it most of today too.
    Easy to lose track of time in and very immersive.
  • Yeah, it's great fun in VR; the shitty combat works a lot better when you're either pretending to bop things over the head yourself or blasting magic all over the place. Kind of disappointing how small everything is, though; the height slider really needs to adjust the world scale, too.

Been playing it with my shirt off, when I do; it makes things bearable in the heat. God know what it'd be like with a PC headset that totally encloses half your face, though.
  • How'd you get a photo of me playing?

Seriously, though, the way the PlayStation shows you a video feed of yourself before starting, so you can check you're in a good position, is awful. I don't want to see what a pasty fat blob I am before I go off adventuring.
  • Lol, yeah, it's not good.
  • Get dressed in armour first.
  • n0face wrote:
    It's too hot, up for a game when my house temperature has dropped though.

No worries.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!