Bayonetta 2
  • Right, I'm buying 2 on dl but not bothered by 1. I'm sure there'll be a sale at some point but I already have the game so can't really see the need to buy it again.
  • Might be a big spoiler for some, but this easter egg is pretty fucking cool:
    Spoiler:
  • Confirmed. There is nothing not-awesome about B2.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    IanHamlett wrote:
    ... I think it's fair to call that system dumb.

Nah. EDGE's system was the fairest (IMHO, haven't read it in a while to be fair). You want a bat shit insane system, try the old school C&VG 'out-of-five' method, which puts pretty much any good game into 40% of the score distribution. I think the worst was the percentage reviews, which seemed to donate scientific rigour where none existed. There's no discernible difference between a 90% and 91% game reviewed by different people.
    IanHamlett wrote:
    Anything below [5] is just a flat no. Nobody says "I was hoping for a [4] but it only got a [3] so I'll wait until I see it cheap."

True. This is why I quite liked the podcast Gamerdork's system of "Play it" or "Fuck it in the bin". However, like a movie buff might, I'm interested in why a bad game is bad, and why it might be rated worse than another. So while I'm probably not going to play a [3] or a [4], it's interesting to know why they got those ratings.
    Is it still a 12 year old's wank fantasy though?
    I'm 29 shutup.

TIGER ADMITS TO FAPPING TO BAYONETTA, FILM AT 11.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Chuffed that Ueda is doing the soundtrack again.

• @swirl I generally like the edge system but this "in my day a 10 really was a 10" stuff is actually asking for less resolution on an already crippled scale.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    IanHamlett wrote:
    @swirl I generally like the edge system but this "in my day a 10 really was a 10" stuff is actually asking for less resolution on an already crippled scale.

I'd agree there, they spaff out 10s these days like they've got a quota to get through or something.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • For some reason I thought this was coming out on 5 October rather than at the end of October.  Disappointed.  Also disappointed that Australia isn't getting the swanky collectors box for some reason.  Second class citizens.
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    Nah. EDGE's system was the fairest (IMHO, haven't read it in a while to be fair). You want a bat shit insane system, try the old school C&VG 'out-of-five' method, which puts pretty much any good game into 40% of the score distribution. I think the worst was the percentage reviews, which seemed to donate scientific rigour where none existed. There's no discernible difference between a 90% and 91% game reviewed by different people.

Used to love in old fashioned magazine reviews when there'd sometimes be a full page dedicated to what weapons it will let you use.  Complete with a chunky pixelated cut out of the shot gun and a brief description on how it works.

Seem to recall local magazine Hyper not only rating games out of 100, but also their various aspects like Graphics Audio Playability Lastability and Fun Factor.  Very important of winning arguments at school.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Very important of winning arguments at school.

Heh, yeah. "Game X got a total score of 91%, while Y got only 90%!" "Yeah, but, in the break down bit, Game Y got more in the Fun Factor section. So nurrrr."
  • I used to have an issue with percentage but now I don't. For example something that gets 89 percent would get 8 or 9 out of ten. The nuance is the same as the difference between 69 and 70 percent at uni. A world and simultaneously a small amount apart.

Edges full use of the ten scale is fine. What could, e.g. rock band have done more?
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    The nuance is the same as the difference between 69 and 70 percent at uni.

The difference, though, is that a grade at university is averaged over three years, using hundreds of pieces of work and a slew of exams. There's a strict, clear methodology to attaining marks, which is applied across all applicants. Hence, there is a small but measurable difference in the abilities of someone who got 70% and someone who got 69%.

Game reviews have no metric like a university mark does. Each game is played for a relatively short period of time. If you're lucky, the reviewer may have completed it. The "percentage" awarded to a title comes down to the gut-feeling of a single individual, maybe a handful in the case of Famitsu.

This is why I don't mind Metacritic scores for things. Taking an average across several reviews is actually a good way of smoothing out the frothing fanboys and the irrational haters. The main problem with Metacritic is that they try to average to a percentage no matter what the review system of the publication in question. If marking out of five, a good game gets 80% and a great one 100%. It's got to skew the final results something chronic.

At the end of the day though, even a Metacritic score is no more 'scientific' than the individual scores you put in. They're all just gut-feeling numbers. Garbage in, garbage out, and all that. The difference between a 69% and 70% on Metacritic is still meaningless in the extreme.
  • There's a problem with different reviewers treating the scale differently, but that also gets averaged out. The big problems I see is that a score from a big site carries more mean weight than a small site and some places use the opportunity to go against the flow for clicks.
  • I've never used Metacritic.

Without accompanying words, the number is virtually meaningless.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • The summary is there too and a link to the full review. I don't like them but it's a useful service. Before that I would just read a few reviews anyway. How can you be sure you're not just reading a fanboy review otherwise?
  • Wii U - Bayonetta 2 Direct: http://youtu.be/MwGD4WbAppo

Only just seen this. "We've just made a full on balls out game about a dominatrix witch, flashing her bits while using gymnastic gun-kata to defeat baroque-styled angels. We'll tell you all about it in this really dry corporate presentation."

Top lel.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Demo available on the eshop right now!
  • Curtis wrote:
    Demo available on the eshop right now!

Cool... @moot_geeza
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Fuck yes. I'll just have to plug my WiiU in, charge my pad and dig out an HDMI cable.
  • Finished the demo, using the gampad screen.  Absolute insanity.  I didn't realise quite how much better than Bayonetta it would look.  I'm not keen on playing demos of big games I'm definitely going to buy these days, because I get grumpy having to replay sections again when the game is released, but I'll revisit that sequence any day of the week.  So many thumbs up it felt like I'd been snorting meow meow.
  • Fucking hell.
  • When I finished the first game, I thought the same thing that I thought when I finished Ninja Gaiden, which was 'amazing, I'll definitely play that again'.  I never did, with either game.  So glad there's a top drawer sequel to this.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    She's sexy, new haircut looks good.

Even Willem the Cat agrees, was playing with the pro controller, gamepad in it's stand in front of me, Willem moving in and occasionally trying to punch Bayonetta. He gets this game.

Lovely demo, will play all of it until I know what's up with that caviar.
  • Just fucking wow. I'll need to investigate further but it looks like they've made the lockon automatic. That's a shame because you didn't really need the lockon in the first game but using it added some new possibilities.

The other thing is a lockon is a kiss. As you know, angels are quite prudish so blowing a kiss at them would knock them off guard for a few frames.

The haircut is also way better than the 1998 chav cut she used to have.
  • I'm not gonna play the demo. Gonna lock myself in my room when I have the full game and just have sex with it.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I've just realised this'll arrive on the wife's birthday.  "Sorry darling, this one's not for you...." *heads up stairs for the next few hours*
  • There's still a button for lock-on, according to the controls page.  Dunno if that means it's not automatic or if it is automatic and pressing it switches between bad folks.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    There was no auto lock on. :/

There was a consistent target reticule thing when fighting the ex-hair demon thing on the side of the building, but I imagine that was because the target is massive and you need to know where you're aiming.
  • No it seems like the old system is intact. I just don't remember the kiss being on generic enemies when I was fighting unless I was holding lockon.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!