The B&B Book Review
  • Oooo I got that in the sale too! Looking forward to it.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Ok so SciFi class still a thing eyy. Next week it's some Cyberpunk'd stuff including a few stories from Burning Chrome - the titular and JOHNNY MNEMONIC (i know that one from the TeeVee)

Last week was Woman on the Edge of Time by Marge Piercy, which is one half inter-sectional feminist critique of the way society treated Latin american women in the 70s, and one part vaguely related scifi utopia about preserving cultures of the past, and also women don't have kids any more.

This weeks was much better - it was Gateway by Frederik Pohl, a novel which is essentially Stargate meets Capitalist critique. For a novel that a guy wrote in his 50s, in the 70s, it has some obvious issues with sexuality, specifically homosexuality as a perhaps negative trait in its hero. That said, the hero is kind of a pariah to pin the ills of the novel on, and it has a really great conclusion. The little information bytes it litters through the novel are really interesting too, and by the end you get the feeling you can understand exactly how society on Gateway operates.

Also turns out @regmcfly never heard of REDWALL until tonight? Unbelievable! Sic 'em.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I've started reading that Head Full of Ghosts by Tremblay.

Was it H that recommended it? If so cheers, its started really well. Also got House of Leaves, proper physical book, coming in at Christmas, excited to be disappointed by it.
  • I'm about to give Headfull a crack too.

If it sucks I now have two people to think less of.
  • House of leaves is fucking brilliant.

Only revolutions not so much.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I've started reading that Head Full of Ghosts by Tremblay.

Was it H that recommended it? If so cheers, its started really well. Also got House of Leaves, proper physical book, coming in at Christmas, excited to be disappointed by it.

Hey boy I was indeed me. Also House of Leaves is ace. His ghost story one (something knives it's in my bookcase but I can't be bothered to move RN) is alright too. Only Revs is good tho.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    I'm about to give Headfull a crack too.

If it sucks I now have two people to think less of.

Son you never thought of me to begin with
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Finished two canons last couple of weeks.

To Kill a Mockingbird I never studied in school (Of Mice & Men instead. Half the UK population seems to be split in school between those two) but I'm fully on board with why it's universally taught. It's a great tale of how hard you have to fight to dispel age old prejudices and the inhumanity of a human mob. 

The Outsider / The Stranger courtesy of Temps is my first Camus. Truthfully I would probably be a bit lost with it if it weren't for Camus's own brief explanation of what his aim was at the end of this edition. For most of it I'm thinking he's just describing a few days in the life of a sociopath.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I've started reading that Head Full of Ghosts by Tremblay. Was it H that recommended it? If so cheers, its started really well. Also got House of Leaves, proper physical book, coming in at Christmas, excited to be disappointed by it.
    Hey boy I was indeed me. Also House of Leaves is ace. His ghost story one (something knives it's in my bookcase but I can't be bothered to move RN) is alright too. Only Revs is good tho.

You sure? 

Why?
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I've started reading that Head Full of Ghosts by Tremblay. Was it H that recommended it? If so cheers, its started really well. Also got House of Leaves, proper physical book, coming in at Christmas, excited to be disappointed by it.

I loved House of Leaves, and got nicely obsessed wit it when it first came out.  

Following every footnote, decoding the letters etc etc

But Only Revolutions left me cold.  With Leaves the various bits of experimentation serviced the story entirely.  With Revolutions it felt like the reverse, that he'd come up with the structure, and then fitted the rest around it.  

I haven't read Fifty Year Sword yet, but did pick up the first volume of The Familiar - which I liked well enough (certainly more than Revolutions), but not sufficiently to have picked up volume 2, let alone the planned 27 volumes...
  • I'm reading my first Pynchon, opted for Inherent Vice.  Oh my goodness me the man can craft a sentence.
  • Allegedly one of his weaker works too. If Bleeding Edge was anything to go by he's on a downward curve, but that still leaves him way above many others. I've read the other 2 "California" novels he did, Lot49 and Vineland, the latter of which was my favourite. Gravity's Rainbow remains inscrutable in its brilliance.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Bleeding Edge does have a lot going for it but I think part of the inherent (oho) problems with it stem from the fact that it's probably the first Pynch documenting an era that I have an intimate knowledge of. Other texts seem to be describing halcyon bygone eras and suddenly I'm in with the beanie babies
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Vineland is also my favourite btw
  • Vice is meticulous yet playful.  I'll definitely be reading more, I knew it was considered one of his weaker novels but enjoyed the film on second viewing.  Flannery O'Connor next though.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I guess everyone has to feel displaced in time eventually.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Bleeding Edge does have a lot going for it but I think part of the inherent (oho) problems with it stem from the fact that it's probably the first Pynch documenting an era that I have an intimate knowledge of. Other texts seem to be describing halcyon bygone eras and suddenly I'm in with the beanie babies

This is definitely an issue with that one, though given his age he made a remarkable effort that would beggar most of the era that might make the attempt. 
    I think he handled 9/11 badly too, because he tried to overtly work it into the narrative at all rather than leave it as an obvious stormcloud in any 21st century reader's head.
  • Yeah, it was a shame that it tied into the overall conspiracy especially as the chapter that deals with the actual event is done really well.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I've tried Pynchon's V a couple of times now. Can appreciate the craft but found it tiring because I was reading at night. I can read very little at night now - just find it soporific sadly. Need to wait to have some time for daytime reading.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Invisible Cities is magical. I'm in love with it.
  • I am glad you like it.

180 pages of The Diamon Age left to go, and a 5-10 minute presentation to write on it before monday afternoon. I think I am going to be ok but it's a big book that i'm not sure what to focus on.

Smart book though, steampunk via post-cyberpunk nanomachines, postits the question of what we'd do as a civilisation if we had unparalleled control over matter on a nanoscale, and the answer appears to be go back to the 1800s society wise because we'd be obsessed with reliving former glories. As with Snow Crash, the world, the theory work, and the nomenclature is more interesting than the narrative thrust.
  • Finished it. Typical Stephenson (from what I know his work via Snowcrash and literary reviews elsewhere) in that it's 90% world building and ruminations on society and high vs low tech, the ambiguous cybernetics (as in the Norbert Wiener stuff) of early civilisation, with a dash of swashbuckling ninja escapades and a weird feminist slant that seems to awkwardly revel in abusing its heroine only for her to come out on top. Interestingly it's a novel that courts a story of revolution but ends after system is razed to the ground, not really giving you any hint of what may happen in the future, which makes it feel rather timely given the worlds current political situation.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm nearing the end of Deathless. Did one of you recommend it?? Thought the first half was great (in content and lyricism), but a steady decline in H2 thus far...
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Just finished Chuck Palahniuk's Survivor.

What a film that would make...
    Pretty decent book.

It's length and scope has me thinking of it as an inverted version of The Great Gatsby.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Got round to finishing off Communion by Whitney Streiber regardless if you believe the abduction phenomenon is real or not its an absorbing read. Seeing as the author has penned fiction novels previously (this is non fiction according to him) he has an absorbing way of writing.

The transcripts from his hypnosis sessions are interesting. Let's face it the whole subject makes no literal sense, in a way isn't that the point I.e. that it truly is alien?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    A Head Full of Ghosts was superb, cheers reg. Have some musings on it but not typing it all up on mobile. That ending though, Jesus Christ. Goosebumps.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    A Head Full of Ghosts was superb, cheers reg. Have some musings on it but not typing it all up on mobile. That ending though, Jesus Christ. Goosebumps.

Did you read the notes and references at the end?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Did you read the notes and references at the end?

Sadly they weren't in my kindle version. Spoilers ahead:
    Spoiler:
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yep to all that, but there's also bits where he goes through every chapter and explains the references. Makes sense for a book that's meta as fuck with a character called Dr Navidson

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!