The B&B Book Review
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I don't think I've sold the appreciation part as well as Dicken's did.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Now on to Pale Fire. And something for club called The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Dickens' best?

Not like I've read everything of Dickens, but A Tale of Two Cities is an incredible book. 

Where you had formed a certain idea about Estella Havisham's fate in Great Expectations, you'll find that AToTC revels in gritty realism in a way that Great Expectations does not.

Both books (like all of Dickens stuff, and perhaps classics generally) can't be faulted for emotional detail though. I loved them both for that.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Decent non fiction recommendation anyone?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Picked up my copy of The Vision: Little Better than A Beast that I forgot I had ordered before Christmas. So good, such elegant writing delivered with poise and verve. The whole thing is endlessly cyclical, recycling phrases and passages and ideas over and over, but it works so well for the Synthezoids as that's literally how they take in and process information. It really is a stunning set of comics, up there with the best of Morrison and Moore in my opinion - it's smart, funny, and genuinely sad. Can't remember the last time I welled up at a comic, but King managed it over the last 2 chapters of this. Helps that the art, the colours and the lettering are all perfectly executed too. It's just a wonderful thing, intricate and clockwork, honed to perfection. Easily one of the best things I've read in a while.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Picked up my copy of The Vision: Little Better than A Beast that I forgot I had ordered before Christmas. So good, such elegant writing delivered with poise and verve. The whole thing is endlessly cyclical, recycling phrases and passages and ideas over and over, but it works so well for the Synthezoids as that's literally how they take in and process information. It really is a stunning set of comics, up there with the best of Morrison and Moore in my opinion - it's smart, funny, and genuinely sad. Can't remember the last time I welled up at a comic, but King managed it over the last 2 chapters of this. Helps that the art, the colours and the lettering are all perfectly executed too. It's just a wonderful thing, intricate and clockwork, honed to perfection. Easily one of the best things I've read in a while.

Yes.  This.  It's amazing - as I said in the comics thread, I always thought Vision was a bit of a ridiculous character, but King's done incredible things with it.  I'd say it's the first "essential" mainstream comic in ages...
  • I haven't kept up with mainstream comics so I can't comment on that - Batgirl was great at first but kind of faded out, and I don't know what counts as 'mainstream' but I'd lump Squirrel Girl and Wicked+Divine in as essential reads recently, and I'd wager they are 'mainstream' given their popularity. 

You've reminded me as well that I haven't looked at your book yet, whoops. I am a terrible student.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    So the island by Christopher Priest goes full blown off the rails. There is no objectivity / narrator toit
  • Going to finish Monstress this weekend. Very excited.
  • That is in the round up of best of the year, so I will be looking to pick it up later. I am sure I have told you before Tiger but you should read KILL SIX BILLION DEMONS. It's a web comic but it's really good and you'll love the world building.
  • I'll look into it. Long?
  • The comic is not super long, and is also not finished. If you read every prose entry that is made... then you'll be there for a while. I skipped them all, but they might be even more your shit.

It has DEEP LORE and a MAP

latest?cb=20160319195555
  • Tempy wrote:
    I haven't kept up with mainstream comics so I can't comment on that - Batgirl was great at first but kind of faded out, and I don't know what counts as 'mainstream' but I'd lump Squirrel Girl and Wicked+Divine in as essential reads recently, and I'd wager they are 'mainstream' given their popularity.  You've reminded me as well that I haven't looked at your book yet, whoops. I am a terrible student.

Squirrel Girl is consistently great, it's true - though it's a very different proposition.  (Also Ryan North was really nice to my daughter when we met him, so bonus points for that.)  I thought Wicked + Divine sort of lost its way though (after That Thing Happened), maybe I should I go back to it?

(I really wouldn't worry about the book.)
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    head's up i can still get ya comics/graphic novels if you're a bit skint and wanna read them before you buy nudge nudge wink wink
  • Where at yo, I just cancelled my Gothom Academy and Batgirl subs because they've sat unread for 2 months. I really want to read Flex Mentallo.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    All four volumes blud, ya wanna read them?

£5
  • I'm reading Ross Brawn's new book and it's absolutely fascinating
    The Forum Herald™
  • All four volumes blud, ya wanna read them? £5

this is extortion!
  • Now we're talkin'!
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    do ya want digital or trade paperback scan?
  • What's the difference? I take it digital needs a cracked reader?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    nah they're just cbr innit, ready to read
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I think anyway I know shit about this side of things
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    THIS IS A PARASITE RAID
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    PUT YOUR TORRENTS IN THE RECYCLE BIN
  • Haven't been in here in a while.

Actually finished a couple of things recently.

The Triple Post Offense. Fascinating to see what still holds and doesn't in a coaching book from the 50s.

Zero degrees of empathy. So Sasha Baron Cohen has a relo in academia who has written a cool little book about not settling for using the term "evil." good read.

Bad pharma. Just started, but so far, goldacre is pretty much gold standard for writing non fiction/arguing a point impeccably and covering counters. So awesome.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Finally got around to finishing Lolita. A dreadfully sad narrative told very well.

I suspect I would benefit from a second reading.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    It's extremely well written. I should read more of his stuff really. Difficult subject matter though, obviously...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Very much so, especially in a post Yewtree world. Quite disturbing in ways. It must have been quite a shock when it was first published though it would be toxic now as I'm sure a verbal horde would interpret it as an apologist's view.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!