The B&B Book Review
  • Sharp Ends by Abercrombie, its great to be back in that world again.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    City of Mirrors by Justin Conin, it's great to be back in that world again.
  • High-Rise by J.G. Ballard, it's great to be back in the world again.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Well at least two of us can use apostrophe's
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Whats going on in thi's thread I hate's not knowing I used's to teach English
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Plodding along with Pale Fire. I don't know why but before I read PF I had the impression it was a kind of dark, subversive murder/mystery. Not something that's producing belly laughs in me reading this conceited dicksack character derail for pages yet again into stories of idiot kings. I'm quite enjoying it.

"I think there must exist a special subversive group of psuedocupids - plump hairless little devils whom Satan commissions to make disgusting mischief in sacrosanct places."
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    The Essex Serpent is a decent story on the dynamics between science/faith friendship/love/lust if anyone sees it laying it about.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Forgot to post again when I finished Spycatcher.  Interesting right up to the end. Still a good read despite its age.

Reading "The Corrections" by Jonathan Franzen. Not sure where it's going but enjoyable so far.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Working my way through The Divine Comedy. Fooking brilliant.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Pale Fire finito.

What a messed up unique book. FEEL BLESSED M8s to have read Invisible Cities and this within the span of months as they're so structurally different from typical lit. A proper good insane comedy on the most unreliable narrator's megalomania.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I forget who recommended it to me ages ago in this thread but I got Station Eleven voted in for this months' book club read so that's my next dive.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Started reading Wolf in White Van after finishing the Hydrogen Sontata (very good that one).

Writing style doesn't flow as easily for me as I think it should, but I'm still fairly early in. It keeps on skipping between different story lines, but as they all have the same main character it can be a bit confusing at times. Have a feeling it will get more interesting soon.
  • Finished bad pharma. Amazing. Stone cold brutal. Here are my arguments, here are the facts that back them up, here's where the evidence is a bit weak, so I'll not go over the top, here's what should be done, give me a reason outside of raw greed why we shouldn't. No? STFU and fix shit then.

Started "why I am not a feminist: a feminist manifesto."

Good read. Total opposite of bad pharma in method though. 150 pages of semi-rant. Many more generalised arguments, but that's fine. She Makes some great points and I'm pretty sure Brooks would be very happy that one of the overarching themes is that Feminism should be part of a wider struggle with some other isms.

An arvos read if I didn't have interruptions.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Reading The Islanders, by Christopher Priest. It's quite unusual - a kind of lonely planet type guide to a fictional island archipelago that tells you the history of The Dream Archipelago through its inhabitants and their history/stories.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Read A Clockwork Orange. It was pretty horrorshow.

The language is cleverly used to both mute and heighten the violence. It hasn't really dated and bits of it felt quite prescient.

The ending didn't quite work for me but as an overall experience it was quite special.
  • I like how the vernacular needles its way into your brain.
  • Aye, totally. Words like tolchock, bezoomny and chepooka were floating around in my dreams last night.

I picked up the book years ago but the language put me off. It clicks quickly though and works really well, my version didn't have a glossary but I never felt I needed one.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    We did CO for A level and I still use droog irl to this day. The invisible transition when you become fluent about halfway through is a great thing.
  • Gremill wrote:
    Reading The Islanders, by Christopher Priest. It's quite unusual - a kind of lonely planet type guide to a fictional island archipelago that tells you the history of The Dream Archipelago through its inhabitants and their history/stories.

Last time I met H he was reading this, it seemed fucking wild. Gotta love it when an author has got so far into his own fictional headspace that he's started referencing himself.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    trippy wrote:
    Read A Clockwork Orange. It was pretty horrorshow. The language is cleverly used to both mute and heighten the violence. It hasn't really dated and bits of it felt quite prescient. The ending didn't quite work for me but as an overall experience it was quite special.

There are two endings. One version of the book ends just like the film does, whilst the author's "cut" sees Alex growing up and realising what a cunt he had been - but of his own free will. The US version has the 21st chapter cut out.  Burgess was further incensed because having 21 chapters was deliberate.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Aye, I read about that, pretty interesting. Heretically, I think 20 chapters might have been better.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Finished Pale Fire. Enjoyed it by the end, kind of feel I'd need to read it again having gone through the whole thing and having read some commentary about it (read: read the Wikipedia article about it) in order to form a definitive opinion though.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    What was your hot Zemblan take?
    Spoiler:
  • Stopharage wrote:
    Amazing news. (Hyperbole Alert).

Neil Gaiman's next book will be a sequel to Neverwhere. That follows from the news earlier in the week that Pullman is doing a follow-up trilogy to His Dark Materials. Excite.

Ah brilliant. A proper one at last then.

I haven't read the short story spinoffs, I may care about them again now.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    Reading The Islanders, by Christopher Priest. It's quite unusual - a kind of lonely planet type guide to a fictional island archipelago that tells you the history of The Dream Archipelago through its inhabitants and their history/stories.

Hey I read that recently too. I'm onto the gradual which is his newest, also set on the dream archipelago. Remember the one about the drones exploding? That's where it's set
  • I just finished East of Eden by Steinbeck. Bit of a mammoth. Took me yonks. Really enjoyed it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!