The B&B Book Review
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Sleepyhead. A 'Tom Thorne' book - a series I knew nothing about. I got it for free for my kindle off Amazon for some reason and not sure why.

I'm not attracted to crime novels but I enjoyed this. Very good prose - very tidy.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Made into a TV movie pretty sure. Solid.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I started to read Charlie Higson's young adult book 'The Enemy' to see whether it was suitable for child no.1 to read and now I can't put it down.

It's about a plague that turns every adult into a disease ridden cannibal 'zombie' and the kids who have to survive in the ruins of London. It's surprisingly grim and doesn't pull any punches in killing children in a wide variety of ways. Simple prose, as you would expect given the audience, but very effectively done and extremely tense, atmospheric and at times genuinely scary.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • tin_robot wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Right, I was ever-so English gent in the email, and signed off 'yours desperately'.
    Definitely your best bet.  The book appears to be essentially self published (listed publisher is a printing company) which is probably why you're struggling to get it from anywhere else.

It's arrived, signed by the man himself.  The human touch still exists.
  • Gremill wrote:
    I started to read Charlie Higson's young adult book 'The Enemy' to see whether it was suitable for child no.1 to read and now I can't put it down. It's about a plague that turns every adult into a disease ridden cannibal 'zombie' and the kids who have to survive in the ruins of London. It's surprisingly grim and doesn't pull any punches in killing children in a wide variety of ways. Simple prose, as you would expect given the audience, but very effectively done and extremely tense, atmospheric and at times genuinely scary.
    I read that as one of my younger cousins left it in my flat. Enjoyed it too but didn't end up getting any of the others.
  • I've started the 2nd one - it's even more brutal!
  • The Last Days of New Paris.

I'd started to wonder about China Mieville. I enjoyed This Census Taker and Three Moments of an Explosion (The Dowager of Bees is a firm favourite) but after grinding out quality novel after quality novel in such a short space of time he hadn't published one in 5 years.

This isn't a novel either. However, it is a huge throwback to his Bas-Lag books in so many ways. The description of a magic infused war between fascists and surrealists is Mieville at his raucous best. Weird, magical, absorbing fiction. Fall Rot <3.

Nailed on for award nominations if you ask me. Highly recommended.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I wonder if he'll ever go back to Bas-Lag. It seems to me he's avoiding it to not be a world-builder which is the type casting of literature.

Noted reco though. Will keep it on the list.
  • It's really good.

Saw some talk about This Census Taker being covertly set in Bas-Lag. Not considered that personally, but I wouldn't be shocked. There are almost certainly some dissections of it to PROVE THIS AS FACT somewhere.
  • I've also learnt a lot about surrealist art which is cool.

The afterword is... bonkers.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    He is my favourite author who looks like he would beat me up.
  • I do need to catch up on Chinas output. Last one I read was Railsea I think.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Station 11 was decent though I was expecting more of a story based on the travelling symphony when it's primarily about the sense of disconnect survivors and the new generations have between a pre- and post- collapse world where 95%+ of people died over a few months. I'm surprised it won the Arthur C Clarke award considering the only concession is a super Swine flu that kills within days of exposure. The author it seems voiced disagreement when it was categorised as sci-fi which is fair enough.

Moonlighting as a pleb means I'd not read Fahrenheit 451 till this week. I finished it with the same feeling I had after polishing off To Kill a Mockingbird last year in that this is a work well justified of the classic status. I didn't quite the expect the strong suicide themes either and cultural despair. Captain Beatty is a fascinating character with far more implied depth than a small novel has any right to get across.

The afterword by Bradbury is pretty illuminating to boot. His story about inspiration for the The Pedestrian short story from being stopped by a policeman while strolling who thought he was fishy, then drove off after saying "Don't do it again!". Then he briefly mentions some mad other stories he's done I may well have to track down - 

"The Exiles, concerning the characters in all the Oz and Tarzan and Alice books, and all the characters in the strange tales written by Hawthorne and Poe, exiled to Mars where one by one their ghosts melt and smoke and fly away to a final death when the last books on earth are cremated.
    In Usher II, my hero collects all the intellectual book burners of earth, those sad souls who believe fantasy is bad for the mind, dances them at a Red Death costume ball, and sinks them to drown in a tarn as the second House of Usher vanishes from sight in countless fathoms."
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I've just finished City of Mirrors, the final book in The Passage trilogy.  It's a pretty special series in my eyes, grand vision & story telling, spanning many a generation.  Very highly recommended, fully of bleakness with hope within - enjoyable plot, well written, compulsively readable.  

Anyone tried either of his other books??
  • @Muzzy, have you read the Wool trilogy? That has a similar story arc. I adored The Passage, but gave up on The Twelve as it just didn't grab me. Will go back to it, if the final book is decebt.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    New Christoper priest (gradual) sadly doesn't quite do it. For me he'd been on a run since inverted world, so it felt likely that he'd do a duff soon (hi Lionel Asbo) it's just not enough - he's done this world, and the story and hook aren't enough.

MOVE AWAY FROM THE ARCHIPELAGO CHRISTOPHER
  • Not a book review but whatever.

I like real books. I like my standard Kindle too. Does anyone have a Kindle Voyage or Oasis? The first sounds like it might be worth the investment. The latter is crazy expensive. Experiences with these?
  • Been tempted by a voyage, it reviews well. £30 off here:

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/kindle-voyage-wifi-30-off-139-99-argos-2666692
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • That's what got me thinking, heh.
  • Why is it better than a paperwhite? Looks like that's still the sweetspot.
  • The biggest difference other than slight improvements/changes to form factor and weight is the adaptive light. It's better in every way, I gather, but is £60 more expensive. The biggest difference seems to be the adaptive backlight.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/kindle-voyage-vs-kindle-paperwhite
  • Do either of them have physical page forward/back buttons on the case itself?
    That's the one thing i miss about my older none paperwhite kindle.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • The Voyager has haptic buttons instead of pure touch. Not quite the same I know.

I like the physical buttons on my current Kindle (2012 basic, maybe?).
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Stopharage wrote:
    @Muzzy, have you read the Wool trilogy? That has a similar story arc. I adored The Passage, but gave up on The Twelve as it just didn't grab me. Will go back to it, if the final book is decebt.

I own Wool but haven't read it yet. Had forgotten it was the first of a trilogy. Got First Law and the Mark Lawrence trilogies ahead of me too. Plus many others. Can never decide what to read next then, Gone for some random Kindke effort (The Ranoake Sisters?) just cos it's short...

Why is a pile of books less shameful than of games?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    pantyfire wrote:
    Do either of them have physical page forward/back buttons on the case itself? That's the one thing i miss about my older none paperwhite kindle.

Still use my version 2 and don't see the appeal of upgrading. Physical page turn buttons and a keyboard. 3G too.
  • davyK wrote:
    pantyfire wrote:
    Do either of them have physical page forward/back buttons on the case itself? That's the one thing i miss about my older none paperwhite kindle.
    Still use my version 2 and don't see the appeal of upgrading. Physical page turn buttons and a keyboard. 3G too.
    Aye. My standard paperwhite would be the perfect ereader if it had the physical buttons of the version 2.
    The light is extremely good and solves lots of little quality of life issues for me.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My daughters have the paper white an it's excellent - I just like my old one. Paperwhite even with just one next page button would be perfect.
  • Yeah, I wouldn't want a keyboard myself but I do like the buttons. I dare say I'd get used to the haptic feedback very quickly but... hey. More interested in the adaptive light.

Oasis is mental. Soooo expensive.

The Kindle is just such a fucking good piece of kit. Absolutely superb. 

For those who have owned older versions, how much better do you find the Paperwhite over standard?
  • My only issue with my old kindle was the need for an external light source at night or in low light (baker st District and Circle line platform). Having the bedside lamp on when the wife was trying to sleep or using a little led light that threw glare spots onto the screen was a ballache.

The paperwhite solves those little issues. The screen imo is exactly the same as my old kindle, i have adjusted the light so that during the day it's just like reading my old kindle but at night with the bedroom lights off its comfortable to read in the pitch black. 

It really, really is a tiny issue but moving your thumb to touch the screen to progress the page is the only gripe i have with the paperwhite, i have got used to it, and that gripe is more than outweighed by the lit screen. Everything else is spot on.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I couldn't go back from the Paperwhite. Even under reasonable lighting the contrast of the traditional Kindle was significantly worse than paper. But yeah, I'd rather have buttons for turning the page. The Paperwhite had a bit of a resolution boost from the previous Kindle models and I found that noticeable as well.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!