#Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    It is YA, yes. All that means is the MC is of a certain age though - it's a deserving award winner. And don't do down children's fiction if you're intent on writing it, that man!

I wouldn’t dream of it, tiger, otherwise I wouldn’t be making Valente’s book one of my next reads. I just don’t want to overindulge, that’s all. I will add it to my list.
    Get schwifty.
  • My name is Livdiv and I need your help.
    After spending 25 minutes in a book section of a small Smiths I came to the conclusion I know fuck all about what books to read.

I am looking to start reading before bed, I know roughly what I am after but not sure where to start.
    I'm looking for something not too taxing, something that can send me off to happy dream land rather than send my mind racing about my life or current affairs. Pure escapism I guess.

Fantasy seems the obvious genre, although I have an aversion to anything that goes too Tolkeinesque.
    Something world building would be good.

Tried The Colour of Magic last night, just the Kindle preview but didn't really hit the spot.

Stuff I have read...

LotR and The Hobbit, I liked these but feel I want something a bit different.

Game of Thrones, up to midway through A Feast for Crows. Done with the series but open to similar.

The Shining, Trainspotting, Fight Club, Clockwork Orange. All great but would be nice to avoid film books/ book films.

A bunch of biographies and non-fiction like Dave Gorman's stuff.

Any help would be appreciated.
    I felt like an old dear would feel in a game shop, totally clueless.
  • Read The Diamond Age
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Game of Thrones? The Last Kingdom is good, if you like reading about Vikings being bastards. Conn Iggulden did some canny historical fiction books about Julius Caesar but I forget the name.

All are light and fluffy, but with some good world building going on.
  • The Red Knight - Miles Cameron
    Is a fantasy novel I read last year that really stood out from the rest.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • @Tempy

Blurb sounds quite heavy but will see if there is a kindle preview.

@Sparkly
    Sorry edited in GoT there.
    Last Kingdom could be a goer.

@Panty
    Red Knight sounds interesting.

Thanks all.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Weaveworld by Clive Barker is fantasy that’s as far away from Tolkien as you’re ever likely to get. It’s dark, vivid and completely bonkers.
    Get schwifty.
  • Anything by Joe Abercrombie is also well worth reading. Excellent fantasy that can be very darkly humorous whilst also being seriously violent and twisted. Amazing characters, excellent story telling and it all moves at a brisk pace.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • I was hovering over a Barker book earlier but decided against it because of darkness, don't want nightmares!
    I remember that game that came out with his name on, all kinds of fucked up.
  • Try not to stick to any genre if you’re starting out. It’s fine presuming you’re gonna love all fantasy stuff or horror or whatever but I’d say you’re limiting yourself.
    Non genre easy read from me would be;
    Anything by Magnus Mill (especially three to see a king).
    Dan Rhodes (particularly anthropology and Timolean Vieta Come Home).
    David Sedaris.
    A load of Cormacs stuff (just not the *hard* ones).
    Willy Vlautin

All easy to find. Broad range and easy to read without settling down to say Dan Brown level.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I was hovering over a Barker book earlier but decided against it because of darkness, don't want nightmares!
    I remember that game that came out with his name on, all kinds of fucked up.

His earlier Books of Blood short stories and obviously Hellraiser were definitely horror, but by the time he gets to Weaveworld his stuff is fantasy with a dark twist. There’s definitely some fucked-up imagery in his later stuff, but there are also bizarrely beautiful things as well. Weaveworld is the gateway drug to his grander fantasy books. Over which book did you hover?
    Get schwifty.
  • Cheers Uncle

I think my leaning to fantasy is really an attempt to avoid anything that relates too easily to anything real world. I don't wanna be reading about one thing and it reminding me of whatever Boris Johnson said that day, or the shite state of the economy etc.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Donnie Brasco if you can find it...

One of my favourites.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • @Raiz

Cheers.
    Honestly cant remember what book it was. The whole thing was a daunting experience. Reading the back of books doesn't help either. Strange how every book in Smiths is "The best insert genre book since insert other book title"
  • Borges, Labyrinths.
  • If you aren't dead set against sci-fi I will ALWAYS recommend the Neal Asher Polity series of books for rip roaring escapism and quirky AIs.
    I started with Brass Man years back but most of them are great. Stay away from the 'Spatterjay' ones, they are set on a sea world with immortal ship captains and they are a bit... Odd.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Anyone read " the book of strange new things" by Faber?
  • I picked up a book earlier, titled something Gods. The blurb seemed quite good, something about new worlds and ways of viewing them etc blah blah "..written from the viewpoint of an orca", back on the shelf.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There's Discworld. I've only read one of them - Mort - in which the Angel of Death takes on an apprentice. Very enjoyable and quirky. Very easy to read. I believe there's a rich world to explore.

And I loved the Dark Tower books. The first is only a warm up - Once I started reading the 2nd one I was hooked.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Have you read Blood Meridian? Jack Ketchum if you want horror.
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    Anyone read " the book of strange new things" by Faber?
    I read it a few years back. If you've read a fair bit of sci-fi then the story is somewhat similar to things you may have read before; humans attempt to settle elsewhere and the focus then turns to the travails of doing so and getting to know the natives. It's not a hard science-fi novel but is more a philosophical novel set in a sci-fi setting.  I quite enjoyed it, but it did leave me pretty cold at times.
    I'm looking for something not too taxing, something that can send me off to happy dream land rather than send my mind racing about my life or current affairs. Pure escapism I guess. Fantasy seems the obvious genre, although I have an aversion to anything that goes too Tolkeinesque. I felt like an old dear would feel in a game shop, totally clueless.

Might be worth giving The Passage by Justin Cronin a go. First in a trilogy based around a scientific experiment gone wrong which then leads to an apocalyptic event. That might put you off given your brief though, but I thought the first book was a great beginning. 

If you want something lighter then the Damned Busters by Matthew Hughes might be worth your time. Dead Harvest by Chris F Holm is from the same stable and is the first in a trilogy. 

Soon I will be Invincible by Austin Grossman is a superhero novel from the point of view of a potential super villain.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Read The Wasp Factory too.
  • Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I am noting them all down even if not replying directly. So much to choose from I may see if any are on offer on the Kindle store. I think Im gonna have to sample a few things . This is what I get for not really reading for 15 years.

Soon I will be Invincible sounds like an interesting concept, cheers Stoph.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    srs though if you go fantasy thats another person lost to me
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I am noting them all down even if not replying directly. So much to choose from I may see if any are on offer on the Kindle store. I think Im gonna have to sample a few things . This is what I get for not really reading for 15 years. Soon I will be Invincible sounds like an interesting concept, cheers Stoph.

PM me for books save ya dollars
  • srs though if you go fantasy thats another person lost to me
  • Ha.
    Im not stuck on the idea of fantasy but horror and sci fi aren't going to chill my brain out enough at bed time.

Cheers for the offer DS, Im happy to drop 2-3 quid on stuff but if something comes up that is pricey or I get hooked on a series I will give you a shout.
  • Maybe give Station Eleven a go too. Adore that book.
  • srs though if you go fantasy thats another person lost to me

Here I am telling Liv to open his mind to ALL genres and I just cannot fucking stand fantasy. Lord, I’ve tried but it’s just not for me. Last time I said this in here I got shouted out for 3 pages or so but I just can’t go with it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!