The B&B Book Review
  • Brooks wrote:
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    The city and the city. Not the finest idea, nor all that well thought out. Lacked the magic of previous books. All in all 2 mehs out of 5.

This is the only Mieville I tried all the way through, and it did not sell me on the guy whatsoever.
    It's pretty different to most of his stuff. I doubt you'd like any of it.
  • Nina wrote:
    Gremill wrote:
    Reading Authority, after re-reading (and enjoying more the second time around) Annihilation. It’s both not what I was expecting and not as poor as I’d heard - I’m actually really enjoying it.
    I enjoyed that one too. Just started the last one the other day (keep forgetting the names), which has a solid first two chapters. That's as far as I got.

Will reread Annihilation at some point too, think I had wrong expectations going on and feel like I'll appreciate it more the second time.

That’s definitely my thoughts on Anni
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I'm trying to read Umbrella, my first Will Self, for book club but the opening is so stodgy I'm bordering on just taking it back to the library early.
  • Brooks wrote:
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    The city and the city. Not the finest idea, nor all that well thought out. Lacked the magic of previous books. All in all 2 mehs out of 5.

This is the only Mieville I tried all the way through, and it did not sell me on the guy whatsoever.
    It's pretty different to most of his stuff. I doubt you'd like any of it.

I suppose the only one I actually liked was the one with the moth. Thought there were some interesting ideas which weren't ultimately driven to completion, which I hoped was by design.

In other news I am cracking on with Theogony by Hesiod the the library by Appolodorus (not a dinosaur). This will scratch my Greek itch.
  • Perdido? Did you try The Scar or Iron Council (same setting)?
  • The one on the ship was alright but the train one only had a good last 5 pages.
  • Also, you recommended uprooted right. Never has a book repeated the word "rivuelt" more. It was as annoying as hearing a teenage girl say "like".
  • Heh, I noticed that too. Weird that it got through editing.
  • Brooks wrote:
    Lord_Griff wrote:

Did you read or was it audible. Lad narrating can only do one voice, so I gave up on it and went for the book.
  • Booked it during train rides. But yeah I only audio stuff now, it's a better use of my time.
  • Brooks wrote:
    Lord_Griff wrote:

I quite enjoyed it. It was a mix between 1984 and a semi-plausible two-state solution for Israel/Palestine.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I thought the writing and concept were super clunky. Also reading King Rat now and can see the kernel of the idea there but poorly realised in his new book. Shame.
  • Which kernel are you referring to? Last days of new paris?
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • City and the city. Rat king does similar.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I enjoyed King Rat. It'd make a good YA book.
  • Yeah I can see what you mean.
  • Just finished The Circle by Dave Eggers which was very kindly sent to me by Stopharage, you lovely man.

Very much a novel of our time. It builds the tension very slowly and while it is intriguing, sometimes you do wish it would increase the pace. The descriptions of the daily grind are almost too detailed, but I’m sure that’s for greater emphasis and to highlight the world the lead character (Mae) is becoming a part of. Unfortunately I don’t think the tension builds to anything surprising or significant. There are a couple of intended shocks, which are not shocks at all and there is one metaphor that Mr Eggers keeps smacking you over the head with as if he’s saying ‘do you get it yet? I’m not sure you do’ Whack! ‘How about now?’

The conclusion was extremely predictable and given the subject matter, the last paragraph which was perhaps intended to make the reader think ‘no, they can’t go there, how immoral, how unethical’, but it’s actually simply a natural progression.

Enjoyed the majority of the build up, but the conclusion was very unsatisfactory and completely unsurprising.
  • Started Robinson Crusoe. I don't mind the old timey language but the entire book is one long unbroken passage of prose. No chapters. No breaks. 240 pages. Geez a break, Dan.
  • It's shit, don't bother.
  • To be honest I probably wouldn't but it was a gift and I feel obliged. It's been a long standing tradition with one of my uncles that every Christmas he gives me a book. Last year was East of Eden. Loved it. This year, well it's gonna be a slog.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I read it as a kid and liked it
  • The version I read as a kid I enjoyed too, but that isn't the version I read as an adult that was fuckin' baws.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I think that might be right
  • There's like 100 pages of him talking about making a pot.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    That sounds legit
  • Reading Strange stories from a Chinese studio by Pu Songling. Anyone else read it?

Each story might have a moral or lesson to teach, but by fuck are the majority a complete head scratcher. It is like some of the stories just stop.

Mr Wang got up early for breakfast. He had eggs and bacon. There was a strange light in the sky. Mr Wang finished his breakfast. End.
  • Sounds great. Reads like a Murakami synopsis.
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    The Complete Essays by Michel de Montaigne.

The only blogger you'll ever need.
    It's a world of truck drivers.
  • TheBoyRoberts
    Show networks
    Xbox
    The Boy Roberts
    PSN
    TheBoyRoberts
    Steam
    TheBoyRoberts
    Wii
    BoyRoberts

Send message
    Just finished Time Was by Ian McDonald. 

Simply fantastic, tells the story of two lovers trapped in time following an experiment in WWII. 

One of the best pieces of fiction I’ve read - honestly can’t recommend it enough.
  • Recently finished The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton. Best to go into it knowing as little as possible. It's probably the most original bit of writing I've seen in years. It's extremely disorientating and for much of the first half of the book you'll be utterly flummoxed by what on earth is going on. It's a (possible) murder-mystery set in a Cluedo-esque setting with a wide cast of characters, most of whom are deeply unlikeable. There is also a consistently shifting narrative and the whole thing has a touch of Sexy Brutale. Recommended.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!