The B&B Book Review
  • Erm.. I think there's a whole lot of people jumping on The Girl on the Train bandwagon.. but no not really.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Has anyone read 

The City of Mirrors?

Good ending to the trilogy?
    The Forum Herald™
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Aye. I enjoyed it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I am reading Prince of Thorns. Really enjoying it - easy reading, compelling prose. I think I have the first in the other two series too, are all three trilogies good? One not yet finished??
  • Everything by Mark Lawrence is highly regarded. Latest is trilogy is only 2/3 complete but they're all supposed to be great books. Only read a couple myself.
  • Gremill and Aaron have read more, I think.
  • Gremill and Aaron have read more, I think.

I’ve read Prince of Thorns but struggled with the second book in the trilogy. No idea why, I just can’t seem to stick with it. I think it suffered from me over reading fantasy books at that time as it was all I read. I then started to really flag with the genre and it was Mark Lawrence’s work and the Mistborn series that suffered. I really should go back to them. Prince of Thorns was excellent and his stuff, as Tiger said, is very highly regarded.

I make a point now of switching up genres when choosing what to read next.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • So you're always banging on about these fAnTaSy books which really aren't my jam, but it turns out that is just because I need them to be set in Space, and about transhuman monsters struggling to come to terms with the impossible goal their distant and reclusive Father figure has put in place for them.

I listened to the first canon Horus Heresy novel, Dan Abnett's Horus Rising and apart from a kinda dull middle chapter where they fight a load of evil space bugs... it's pretty good? I know a lot of the Heresy stuff inside out because I am a huge fucking nerd, and a lot of the writing is a little clunky (they literally get the Only War tagline into a conversation) but the characters are... not bad? The Primarchs are not at all how I expected them to be, and the Marines have a decent amount of humanity to them, and the obvious lack of humanity that they do have is frequently addressed. Knowing how it ends actually makes it quite fun to read, with Horus Lupercal being absolute BEST BUDDIES with Sanguinius (who he later murders ruthlessly) and the fact it's all working towards a conclusion we all know, it has a lot of fun contradicting things you might think you know, muddying the waters of sympathy by making Horus just a fucking great guy, and having lots of knowing foreshadowing. 

I'd recommend it. 8 people getting brought into Compliance by turning rebels into meat paste by one or two Bolter rounds out of 10
  • Sorry if this sounds incredibly condescending, @Tempy - but have you tried Dune?
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Nah, never read it. I’m sure it’s good, just never got around to it.
  • Neither have I, but when you say fantasy, but in space, it seems pretty close to the mark. (The film adaptation at least seemed like that to me).
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • It probably is, but it’s not about Space Dad and his Space Sons so it’s on the back burner til I chew through these audiobooks
  • LoTR isn't set in space. Read it.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I did when I was younger
  • And did you like it?
  • It was great. But it kinda stands apart from a lot of stuff being a bit of an Ur document for most fantasy.
  • Quite a staggering entry for the genre for sure. I suppose its quality is fantasy's bane.
  • I'll mention "In the name of the wind" again by Rothfuss.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    So I finished the Broken Empire trilogy. Thought it was good, at points (particularly the first book) very good. Likely to try the next trilogy next year as they're loaded up on my Kindle...

Meanwhile though, in honour of Sir Temp, in trying Pale Fire. I've got through the prologue and am trying to work out how to read the rest lol. Some great prose for sure, certainly am interesting time, not sure how Kindle friendly though given leaping around?!
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Just finished Children of Time.  I have acute arachnophobia, so I don’t know why I thought that would be a good idea.  Anyway, it was certainly something out of the ordinary.  It has its problems, mostly to do with the structure (always alternating chapters between the humans and the spiders), but also the vast tracts of time it spans.  It has the overall effect of keeping the characters at arms length.  But a very unusual story and I enjoyed it overall.  And that’s the second book I’ve read this year about giant dancing spiders.

Before that I finished both Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion.  Both great in very different ways.  The second book goes to some completely bonkers places.  I might read one of Simmons other, non-sci-fi books in the not-too-distant future.

Also coming up on the end of the first book in Guy Gavriel Kay’s The Fionavar Tapestry.  He can wield words very nicely, but he pays almost no attention to characterisation and so his story and world have to do all the heavy lifting and, quite frankly, they’re both pants.  I’ll finish The Summer Tree, but I won’t be bothering with the next two books or anything else the man has written.

Still on fantasy, I’ve completely abandoned my attempt to reread Donaldson’s first six Covenant books before heading into the Last Chronicles.  In short, I remember them being great, but they’re actually derivative pap.

So now I’ve had my fill of fantasy and sci-fi and I’m ready for some horror.  Was going to ask for recommendations, and would still welcome them (the weirder the better), but for now I think it’s about time I read me some Lovecraft.
    Get schwifty.
  • Read some Thomas Ligotti
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Cheers, Temps. Teatro Grottesco added to The List.
    Get schwifty.
  • Nice, that’s the one I read. It’s great.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Want to read some Lovecraft first, then John Langan’s The Fisherman followed by Jon Padgett’s The Secret of Ventriloquism. Will get to it after those.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Just read Lovecraft’s The Colour Out of Space and wow, suddenly Jeff VanderMeer’s Southern Reach trilogy isn’t so startlingly original. Certainly whatever came to Earth in VanderMeer’s Annihilation was a very close cousin of Lovecraft’s creation.
    Get schwifty.
  • He might have been a hypochondriac racist but he did basically come up with All the Tropes.
  • The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet was a great book. Interesting to see how minimal the narrative was. So, so character focused.

Excellent.
  • I enjoyed that, I think I read the sequel as well but I'm not sure.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Got a few Dicks and the first three Culture novels for Chrimble. Canny pleased. Just need some time to read the bastards now.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!