The B&B Book Review
  • pantyfire wrote:
    I enjoyed that, I think I read the sequel as well but I'm not sure.

I think all 3 (?) of the books in the series are supposed to be tip top.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Me dad got me the complete book of Robin Wood horror essays/reviews and can't wait to read it. Missus got me Sapiens which looks fantastic.
  • Been listening to James S Corey's "The Expanse" book series. Upto book 7 in the series now. I've been really enjoying them and have a growing affinity to the crew of the Rocinantie (name of the ship). Its been quite peaceful to listen to audio books while painting and decorating.

One of the two authors (under the pen name Corey) worked under George RR Martin (Game of Thrones). You can see some similarities (dont want to give any of the storyline away, in case i spoil it for someone else).
  • Same as the tv show "expanse"
  • I cannot remember who it was that initially suggested it as it was a while ago, but, thank you to whoever first mentioned Senlin Ascends. I have just sat down with a big cup of tea, ignored my children for an hour and finished this wonderful book.

Wildly imaginative, excellent characters, a genuinely gripping story and a great deadpan sense of humour make it one of the best books I have read in a while. Absolutely adored it.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • <3! I think it was me. One of my favourite series ever. So pleased you liked it!

I am reading Middle England by Jonathan Coe. I don't read this type of book normally. I'm enjoying it, but... It's not as good as Bancroft by a long shot.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Book-wise I received a copy of The Global Village - Marshall McLuhan co-wrote. My the man had an intellect - even dipping in at random shows a frightening prescience.

Will be a challenge to keep up with him but I'll have a go.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Nearly halfway through Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and I'm loving it. Obviously I went into it expecting Blade Runner to jump out from the pages, and sure enough stuff like the Voight-Kampff test is represented, but to my surprise I find a lot of Fallout in there too. The LA of Blade Runner felt like a bustling city packed with life to me, but in the book the isolation and decay is fucking oppressive. You get a hint of it in the film in JR's abandoned apartment block but it doesn't come close to the post war desolation I'm reading here.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    You dick
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I love the Dick, me.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I got two books for Chrimbo - Lincoln in the Bardo & Milkman. Also borrowed Warlight. So some literature awaits once I can find my reading mojo & cope with something above Haruki
  • Been at The Monk. Proper gothic yarn.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    My reads over Christmas included two more Lovecraft stories: The Call of Cthulhu and The Dunwich Horror. Both good, though I preferred Dunwich over the more iconic Cthulhu. Will be getting back to more of those throughout my larger reads.

Also did Jon Padgett’s The Secret of Ventriloquism. I knew what I was getting into with this one; I was after weird horror and I suppose that’s really what I got here. Nine short stories that are all in some way connected to the point where it feels more like a bizarrely plotted novel than a short story collection. Very strange, and I wonder if anyone other than Padgett himself actually knows what’s really going on it. I loved it. Incidentally, I think he’s the editor of Vastarian, which is some sort of Thomas Ligotti critical response/love-in thingy. Hopefully getting Ligotti’s Teatro Grottesco for my birthday later this month.

And right now I’ve just started Paul Tremblay’s A Head Full of Ghosts.
    Get schwifty.
  • I listened to Lovecraft's Necronomicon on Audible. I don't get the love.
  • I tend to read one of Lovecraft’s short stories in between books. Some have been great (Colour from Outer Space particularly and The Thing on the Doorstep) but many have been poor. I love the whole Cthulhu mythos and the necronomicon stuff but the actual stories about them don’t tend to be the best.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Like a camp fire story, this bit is scary because it is scary, woooooooooo, and the body was never found wooooooo, and you should be afraid because if you remember that bit from before when he did that thing, that thing now is scary woooooo.
  • I've never read an actually scary horror book in my life, and not for want of searching. I don't think the medium really supports it, too much contemplative space and time.
  • House of Leaves scared the wife.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    @Brooks Completely agree with that.

As for Lovecraft, I had to recalibrate my expectations after reading my first story of his (The Nameless City). He doesn’t seem to have any interest in having actual characters populate his tales (so far as I’ve read), just meat puppets to grind along his narrative, to be horrified so that we don’t have to. I’ve got used to his style and I’m enjoying them for what they are. The only one I’ve truly loved so far is The Colour Out of Space.

But I’m ready for more of this sort of thing, and have been compiling a list of authors I want to get to this year, including Clark Ashton Smith, Bruno Schulz, Robert Aickman, Harlan Ellison, Victor LaValle, Lauren Beukes, Arthur Machen, William Hope Hodgeson and Algernon Blackwood.
    Get schwifty.
  • Uzumaki is a little creepy.
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    Uzumaki is a little creepy.
    Yesssss.

Books are better at creating a feeling of unease rather than actual fear. I find Lovecraft more interesting on an academic level now. He's been far surpassed in the genre he created, I think.

Related: I read an interesting thread about the golden age of sci-fi the other day, basically saying not to bother unless you get super interested in the genre. It's largely been out done in style, plot, characterisation... Everything. Still worth picking out the great stylists and conceptualists but it's largely not the worth time at this point.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    I got two books for Chrimbo - Lincoln in the Bardo & Milkman. Also borrowed Warlight. So some literature awaits once I can find my reading mojo & cope with something above Haruki

Both are great.

Milkman especially but I read it before the awards and hype and really I just liked the cover and the title and I didn’t get that it was a sort of PARABLE initially as although I’m always drawn to the literary stuff I’m just not that smart,ok?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Got the audiobook of A Christmas Carol read by Tom Baker. Superb job.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    "disemelevatored"

Mr Dick, are you taking the piss out of me?
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Finished Neil Gaiman's Fragile Things a while ago. Collection of short stories and I loved it. Watched American Gods recently too and now I feel like I should pick up The Norse Mythology.

Picked up The Great Gatsby for cheap at a garage sale, only two chapters in but not sure what to think of it yet. I'm just picking up random books with titles / authors that vaguely ring a bell when I see them cheap. Another one that's one the pile is Lord of the Flies.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Aye, need to get that Norse Mythology one.
  • It was on Radio 4 recently and I think it's still available on iPlayer. If that's of use.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I listened to Gaiman’s reading of Norse Mythology about a month ago. Was good. Stephen Fry’s Mythos is next on the list.
    Get schwifty.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Reading Limmy -Thats your Lot. Some proper laughs alongside some absolute shit.
  • I'm halfway through a translation of Monkey/Journey to the West and it really is retrospectively impressive how accurate the 70s/80s tv show captured the traits of Monkey.

Although I am quite surprised to see that the pilgrims have only just encountered Pigsy and its already the halfway point of the book.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!