• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    Thanks Davy. Sounds like something to get for me. Don't often read on fiction but it sounds more serious an event than is commonly known?

Absolutely.

There are several possible outcomes that were prevented basically by people committing suicide by acting heroically. The core could have burned through the foundation of the plant and hit pools of water under the reactor - apparantly the resulting explosion would have irradiated the entire European landmass.  

Divers went into those pools and opened manual valves to drain them thus preventing that. They were heavily irradiated. One can't imagine what that job was like. But there was worse.

The core could have burned on through to the ground water irradiating the Black Sea for thousands of years.

Miners tunnelled underneath the station in 50C heat then installed a heat exchanger under the core to prevent that. They were all heavily irradiated. 

There are some who now in retrospect say that it wasn't necessary but no-one was going to take the chance to not do it.

The men on the roof shovelling fragments of the core back into the building had 20-30 secs before they received a lethal dose. They started going over their allotted time to get the job done.

There were other reactors on the site - if they had gone up then there would have been a global level event. Fire fighters on the scene preventing the spread of fire were all heavily irradiated.

These guys basically saved the world.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Hilariously, an accomplished Irish novelist has been found to have pulled an ingredients list for his book after Googling how to make red dye.

The ingredients list was from Breath of the Wild.

So his historical novel includes reference to Hylian shrooms.

El oh el.
  • Hopefully he included the cooking him tune too.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Also bought Vineland as needed a first Pynchon.

As a movie guy I think you will adore it
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Hilariously, an accomplished Irish novelist has been found to have pulled an ingredients list for his book after Googling how to make red dye.

The ingredients list was from Breath of the Wild.

So his historical novel includes reference to Hylian shrooms.

El oh el.

I love that he just embraced it though
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Folio editions of Primo Levi's If this is a Man and The Truce arrived today. Funded by my video game selling but both volumes unread for £30. Can't be bad.

I read these a few years ago in paperback and they are a stunning piece of literature; the author's memoirs of his capture and incarceration at Auschwitz and his long meandering journey home to Italy after liberation.  Think I'll revisit these once I clear my current reading decks.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Haven’t really read anything recently (outside of all 986 chapters of One Piece) but someone I follow on twitter retweeted this short story from a few years back and it’s really great. Warning, it is a little bleak

https://nplusonemag.com/issue-35/fiction-drama/the-feminist/
  • Haven’t really read anything recently (outside of all 986 chapters of One Piece) but someone I follow on twitter retweeted this short story from a few years back and it’s really great. Warning, it is a little bleak

https://nplusonemag.com/issue-35/fiction-drama/the-feminist/
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Have you read anything outside of all 986 chapters of One Piece?
  • I think that was paranoid dreck.
  • Gremill wrote:
    Reading 'Gideon the Ninth' and it's great fun.
    I'm reading this at the moment - Absolutely brilliant stuff.

The sequel came out today!
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I am currently reading We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson and my god it is exceptional.
    Get schwifty.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    It's in me shelf. You should have book clubbed it.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I should have, but then I didn’t know it was going to be this good.  The prose flows like a river and the dialogue sparkles.  I’ve only read some her short fiction before (The Lottery), but after this I’ll be seeking out more of her work.  I think I already have The Haunting of Hill House.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Finished We Have Always Lived in the Castle.  Beautiful, tragic and, at times, genuinely funny.  I’m tempted to use the word masterpiece.
    Get schwifty.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Reads like a [6].
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I’m halfway through my first ever Brandon Sanderson book, Alantris, and by god is it dull.  The prose is positively tepid.  I’m charging through because I know it’s his first book.  I mean he must obviously improve massively to have become as popular as he is, but maybe traditional fantasy just isn’t my bag.  The thing is littered with names (and places) that end in -din -dan -don -dell and fucking hell I can’t stand it.  Choice laughable names include Tooladoo and Dooladell.  All the characters are painted in striking shades of the dullest magnolia.  I will give him a second shot after this one (he must be popular for a reason) as I already have Warbreaker and The Way of Kings on my Kindle.

Conversely, I’m also over halfway through Nick Cutter’s The Troop, which has sign this fucker up for movie rights written all over it.  Great fun so far.  Five Scouts and their Scoutmaster on a small island earning some badges.  Guy turns up on a boat carrying something unpleasantly contagious.  Grotesque shit goes down.  Schlocky, disgusting, and brilliant so far.
    Get schwifty.
  • The Way of the Kings is a hell of a good series. The only downside at the moment is that there are massive gaps between releases. Not quite Game of Thrones or Locke Lamora gaps but long waits none the less.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    How do you find his prose in these later books.  At least good?  I think the problem for me is that I started right at the top.  I read Tolkien when I was maybe thirteen or fourteen.  It was Tolkien that made me fall in love with the beauty of words.  There are points in Elantris where it’s just [dialogue] said, and then [dialogue] said, and then [dialogue] said...ad infinitum.  At some points my brain feels like it’s starting to liquify and run outta my ears.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    How do you find his prose in these later books.  At least good?  I think the problem for me is that I started right at the top.  I read Tolkien when I was maybe thirteen or fourteen.  It was Tolkien that made me fall in love with the beauty of words.  There are points in Elantris where it’s just [dialogue] said, and then [dialogue] said, and then [dialogue] said...ad infinitum.  At some points my brain feels like it’s starting to liquify and run outta my ears.

I wouldn’t say I have picked up on the prose being bad but then again I haven’t necessarily picked up on it being particularly good. In all honesty, it isn’t necessarily something I pick up on unless it is exceptionally bad (The Meg for example) or exceptionally good (Ten Thousand Doors of January for example). I think the positives of the series are a cracking magic system, some really epic story telling and excellent scenarios/moments throughout the series.

However the gap between books really is an issue. I am struggling to remember the finer details between books and can only remember the main moments.

Can I take a moment to reccomend (I forget the name of the trilogy) The Poppy War and The Dragon Republic. They are absolutely brilliant fantasy books and the author has a lovely balance between grimdark and wonderful writing.
  • I'm going to start The Dragon Republic soon. Can't believe how young the author is considering how excellent the books are.
  • It’s an outstanding trilogy. The third one comes out in November.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I’m weeding out of that that The Ten Thousand Doors of January is a goodun.  I have it.  It’s next after this months book club read.
    Get schwifty.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    But I might suggest that for October FML
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    But I might suggest that for October FML

Shall I book you in?
    Get schwifty.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Should it be January's book tho :-/
  • It's an absolutely beautiful book.
  • It is a stunningly beautiful book.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!