Hardest/Most Stressful level/section in a Game?
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I 100%-ed 3D Land.

BOW DOWN BEFORE ME, FOR I AM LEET.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Clap clap. Can't be bothered myself, got a stack of unplayed stuff and I had my fill. Stuff was basically getting to the point where it was the same but wickedly tough, I'd already got to see all the ideas, which was nice of them to do.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Basically I had nothing else to play at the time, just my 3DS and whatever games I had on it. (Games are stupidly expensive here in NZ.)

In short: I had nothing else to do. ;)
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • It's something I want to do, but I ike the fact that they introduce very little to the game rather than pushing the mechanics to their logical extremes, so I don't feel i've missed out on content, but there is still something to come back to. Typical Ninty.
  • @Tempy

I know what you mean about the lack of new ideas in the special stages. The only new thing I have seen is some kind of black phantom mario hitting me, which wasn't really well executed, I just ran faster.

The bit I was dying on had those green panels on rails with the back and forward arrows. Then some spiky dudes moving in a pattern, it feels like thy made the level, realised it was too easy and shoved some spiky things on there.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Nick wrote:
    I would play Zelda pinball. Something that sprang to mind on topic is this.

Haha. That was my first pick as well. Used to drive me daft as a young fella.
  • @Tempy

I know what you mean about the lack of new ideas in the special stages. The only new thing I have seen is some kind of black phantom mario hitting me, which wasn't really well executed, I just ran faster.

Yeah, but I havne't a problem with it. The Phantom Mario just forces you to do levels that take precision faster, so it's just upping the ante, frequently the extra levels are almost carbon copies of earlier ones, but they added different layouts to certain areas or put Gold Coins in really awkward places. I liked it a lot, a better way of making Mario tougher as you can't really add more enemies or make them do more damage.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Speedhaak wrote:
    Nick wrote:
    I would play Zelda pinball. Something that sprang to mind on topic is this.

Haha. That was my first pick as well. Used to drive me daft as a young fella.

Actually......

this is a hard level but I got to the point where I could 1CC past this level and the next couple. You will also notice that at 6:50 of this video there is a warp gate that opens up taking you either to the next level or the one after - can't remember. I only used it once in a while as the next level (think its the ice world) is quite fun.

I always got to the level in which you had to climb up a tower and fight a boss at the top - I could get to the top - though it was tortuous - lots of springboard jumps and enemies to fight - but the boss was a complete bastard who just soaked up the punishment - no idea even how close I was to beating him....

But ..... imagine trying to play this in 2 player mode? It is 2 player simultaneous and collisions between players is on!!! We could never get by level 2 because my mates were pretty naff at this.

The SNES game wasn't as hard but still pretty tough (but I never finished that either! I got the level where you race an enemy to a bomb to defuse it before he sets it off - never completed it.)

In the SNES version you can switch collisions off which makes it a bit easier - but again - never got past level 2 in 2 player mode...get this ....in both versions - if one player gets a game over it is game over for BOTH OF YOU!. You go to a continue screen and the losing player starts with full lives - but the other player continues with his health bar and lives as they where - it was a nightmare once players got out of synch.

Having said all of this we had a hoot with this in 2 player mode - gotta love the belly attacks by those pigs in pink mankinis in level 1 of the SNES version. With collisions set to on, level 1 degenerated into a basic fighting game - once you got the other guy down you could pick him up and throw him off the level into the lava....we were easily entertained in the early 90s....

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

Wetrix was rock hard - once those leaks appeared it was a fairly stressful affair...and the game just keeps throwing new gameplay tweaks at you as it levels up....

• Davy, Haak, Nick. No idea which game you guys are talking about, vid not showing on iPhone. No one has mentioned game name either I think.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Davy, Haak, Nick. No idea which game you guys are talking about, vid not showing on iPhone. No one has mentioned game name either I think.

Battletoads...

• Ah right. Never played it but heard its tough.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I loved Wetrix! 

Most recent hair tearers, and two that have stopped me from getting platinums:

Homefront: for anyone that has tried it on the hardest difficulty, the part where a tank bursts through a fence and you have to run for a garage. It's impossible. Goes something like this: tank bursts through, run 3 feet, die, restart,tank bursts through, run 3 feet, die, restart, tank bursts through, run 3 feet, die, restart, tank.....etc etc etc

Call of Juarez: Bound In Blood: In the trenches on the first level. Climb ladder, get shot while climbing ladder, fall down, can't see bad guy, climb ladder to try and see bad guy, get shot while climbing ladder, fall down, can't see....... I did every other level on the highest difficulty, even the end boss, but this horrendous f**k up keep that trophy safely out of my reach.

Does anyone ever play test these games?
  • At least that's reassuring about Call of Juarez. I only barely started it,worried that it was going to be horrendous and haven't had a chance to be back since!
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • @davyK What do you mean you can turn the collisions off? You must be talking about a cheat or something because there's definately no option to do that in the Snes version, and if it was a cheat, i'm pretty sure I would have known about it? Me and my brother played it so much we could do the speeder bike level but we never got past the other level I posted above, yeah, coop was ridiculous.

It was the best game ever.

edit: a quick google search indicates there was no 'turn off collisions' cheat.
  • Well if it is, then that hardly counts as the 'snes version being easier' then.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Actually, Pie's just reminded me of another one.

Streets of Rage 3. Me and my brother must have completed that dozens of times over the years, but we have never even come close to beating that bloody robot at the end before the time limit expires. Every time we hit the damn thing it falls over and we have to wait for it to get back up before we can do anything.
  • Searching for cheats I come across this. If you haven't played it, read that and you'll understand what made it so amazing/difficult.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    @davyK What do you mean you can turn the collisions off? You must be talking about a cheat or something because there's definately no option to do that in the Snes version, and if it was a cheat, i'm pretty sure I would have known about it? Me and my brother played it so much we could do the speeder bike level but we never got past the other level I posted above, yeah, coop was ridiculous.

It was the best game ever.

edit: a quick google search indicates there was no 'turn off collisions' cheat.

It wasn't a cheat I was referring to ....re-reading my post I can see how the confusion arose though....

2 player A has collisions on between players (i.e. you can hit each other), 2 player B has collision detection between players switched off (i.e. you can't hit each other). That's all I meant. 2 player A is FAR harder - though a lot funnier if you aren't too fussed trying to progress beyond level 2...

Only found out recently that the Megadrive got a remake of the NES original - seems pretty much an exact copy to me but "feels" easier than the original - on first playthrough I got straight to level 3, and the music on the NES version is preferable.

• oh, oh, wait, I've got it.

The part where you have to turn off Dark Souls to do other things.
  • If we're talking about stress, I'd say our last Moxxi run on Blands 1. That countdown, waiting to hear if reg got the cheeve. Fuck.

Agreed. Genuine tension right there.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Only found out recently that the Megadrive got a remake of the NES original - seems pretty much an exact copy to me but "feels" easier than the original - on first playthrough I got straight to level 3, and the music on the NES version is preferable.

I was reading up about this too, apparently the NTSC version of the original NES game was easier than the PAL version. The MegaDrive port was based on the NTSC version.
  • davyK wrote:
    It wasn't a cheat I was referring to ....re-reading my post I can see how the confusion arose though.... 2 player A has collisions on between players (i.e. you can hit each other), 2 player B has collision detection between players switched off (i.e. you can't hit each other). That's all I meant. 2 player A is FAR harder - though a lot funnier if you aren't too fussed trying to progress beyond level 2... Only found out recently that the Megadrive got a remake of the NES original - seems pretty much an exact copy to me but "feels" easier than the original - on first playthrough I got straight to level 3, and the music on the NES version is preferable.
    Ahh, sorry, yeah know what you're talking about now. It did make a huge difference and yeah was much more fun (and way way harder) when you could punch each other.
  • So what's the hardest most stressful game section/level of this generation?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Hexcells Infinite 6-5
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    (That's a mayber, ftr)
  • I'm struggling to think of anything. It doesn't help I can't remember what I played all last year or year before that.
  • The run up to the ballista in Smouldering Lake, Dark Souls 3.
    I don't know if it was my build, playing it on the wrong day or my insistance that I would manage it before going to bed.
    I just really struggled with this entirely optional part of the game.
  • Holding onto the will to live during Halo 5 campaign.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!