The Car thread
  • Bad AIDS?
    The Forum Herald™
  • Only if the transaction involves more than I'm expecting.
  • A new battery for the S2000?
    The Forum Herald™
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Guess what I'll be picking up tomorrow?

Ooh, really? What year/spec?
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • 2014 2L 5 door petrol.  It has quite a lot of toys it seems.  Only reason it caught my eye was because of our chat, so thanks!
  • It's an "SE-L", apparently.  Whatever that means.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    2014 2L 5 door petrol.  It has quite a lot of toys it seems.  Only reason it caught my eye was because of our chat, so thanks!

You're welcome! That's the car I had (only I had the 2015 model). Not massively powerful, but very revvy, handles really well and does indeed come very well specced. Is it the Sport Nav trim level?

Also, if it has the Soul Red pearlescent paintwork (which mine had), I'd highly recommend getting a good valeter to Ceramic coat it. It's a very soft, thin paint – so if you do a fair bit of country road driving it marks and scratches like heck. But a decent ceramic nano-coating sorts it. It's a couple of hundred quid, but that's cheaper than knackered paintwork...

EDIT: Ah, the SE-L. Assuming it has the built-in navigation, that's the exact model I had. It's a great little car.
  • Yep, built in navigation and it's red, too.  Will look into that ceramic coat recommendation, cheers.
  • It's a lovely looking car, and the colour is fab. But to get the red/black flip they have to spray it on quite thin (I found this out to my cost). DEFINITELY get it ceramic coated. If you're thinking of keeping it for more than a couple of years, it'll pay for itself many times over as it also makes washing it super-easy (stops muck/salt etc. clinging to the paint). Should take a full day to sort it – it'll need a proper valet, clay decontamination, stage-1 polish using a DA and then the ceramic coating. Some modern ceramic products can be 'topped up' every 12-18 months too.

If I lived nearer to you I'd pop over and sort it for you (I can polish / valet cars and have all the kit).

Hit me up if you need more info.
  • Cheers Jim, will do.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    Guess what I'll be picking up tomorrow?

Oohh, I've got one of those to. Same year. Its a great car. Drives really nice.
  • Good to know. Now I just need to resurrect the S2000.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Here it is.

Ay9kXBB.jpg
  • Yup, that's the one. Lovely car.
  • They are really nice, if I'd been shopping with a higher budget I'd have had a serious look at one of them.

BMW update: love it. Needs to go back in though, there's a groan from the power steering at full lock. I highlighted it during the test drive, the mechanics tried to fob the saleswoman off with some bullshit about how it's meant to do that. Is it fuck! Sorted the Bluetooth though, in the centre console there's a usb and aux port right next to each other. Bought a wee usb Bluetooth dongle that has an aux out, plug it into the aux port, pair my phone to it and jobs a good un. Mounted the phone on the dash, downloaded android auto and I'm away. Doing that, I've ended up with more functionality than I had with the screen in my Volvo. Happy days.
  • Sold one of those this week 2.0 skyactiv. Cheap tax too.
    The Forum Herald™
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    Sold one of those this week 2.0 skyactiv. Cheap tax too.

Yup, very cheap tax.
  • £30 a year versus £195 for the Golf.
  • Looks nice and practical.
  • Damning with faint praise, but that's OK.  I'll buy the GTR when she's a bit older.
  • At least that looks nice
  • Jaco wrote:
    It's a lovely looking car, and the colour is fab. But to get the red/black flip they have to spray it on quite thin (I found this out to my cost). DEFINITELY get it ceramic coated. If you're thinking of keeping it for more than a couple of years, it'll pay for itself many times over as it also makes washing it super-easy (stops muck/salt etc. clinging to the paint). Should take a full day to sort it – it'll need a proper valet, clay decontamination, stage-1 polish using a DA and then the ceramic coating. Some modern ceramic products can be 'topped up' every 12-18 months too.

If I lived nearer to you I'd pop over and sort it for you (I can polish / valet cars and have all the kit).

Hit me up if you need more info.

I've always wanted to try machine polishing my cars, but been scared I'd fuck it up! This one definitely needs it, previous owner was clearly a fan of automatic car washes.
  • Unless you’re a complete idiot, it’s difficult to cause big damage. Getting a glass finish just take practice and the right pad/polish combo. I recommends Auto Finesse pads and Meguiars polish. G3 paint restorer for the deeper stuff. Make sure you have a DA (safer on your paint) and a 3” as well as 5” head/pad.

Buy an old bonnet from a scrap yard to practice on.

Edit: if you’re genuinely interested, check out White Details on YT. Guy is a legend.
  • It’s entirely possible I’ve said this before, but if you’re into cars, engineering or race mods at all, checkout Bad Obsession Motorsport on YouTube. Their project Binky is insane. Basically they’re putting the complete running gear from a Celica GT4 into an original Mini. Without widening or lengthening it. Which shouldn’t really be possible. 

You’ll have a fair few episodes to catch up on, but it’s well worth it. Stunning level of detail and engineering prowess from a two-man band just working weekends.

EDIT: Just realised I didn't post the link to episode 1. Here it is...

• Looking at changing my car. Currently have a Mercedes C220 estate, 60 plate. It's cost me probably best part of £1500k or so this year in faults and still isn't 100% right, will be back into the garage on Monday and giving them an earfull so not expecting to pay any more but safe to say it's caused me to fall out of love with it.

So, if you had up to £6k to spend on a car which needs to be an estate or similar (don't mind an suv but don't want something like a scenic) - what would you recommend?
    I'd like features such as auto lights and wipers, Cruise control and air con, and parking sensors if poss.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • 1500k? You should’ve bought a Bugatti.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • On a more useful note, my seat Leon estate is nice. Might be worth a look.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • The Daddy wrote:
    1500k? You should’ve bought a Bugatti.
    Ha! Didn't mean to put the k!
  • The Daddy wrote:
    On a more useful note, my seat Leon estate is nice. Might be worth a look.

Cool will take a look!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!