The Car thread
  • If you want all that kit for £6k, in a family size estate, I’d seriously look at a top spec Mondeo. They lose value like mad in the first 5 years, so you’ve a good chance of a bargain. Anything German will be too old for that price, and Jap stuff holds its value too well.

Might be worth looking at the Skoda Octavia and Superb estate too. Or maybe a Seat Exeo - that was basically an Audi A4, but I can’t remember if it was available as an estate or was saloon only. Might be worth looking at - they came loaded with kit.

Avoid anything French/Italian like the plague. They will break.

Have you considered leasing?
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • I think you're right on the mondeo front. Looking around, unless I want well over 100k miles, seems to be best bet.

Not sure leasing is right for me at this stage to be honest.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Also - the vast majority of these cars are dielsels. Do I really need to be concerned about a second hand dielsel?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Don't buy diesel.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Also - the vast majority of these cars are dielsels. Do I really need to be concerned about a second hand dielsel?
    Not really there’s still demand there still
    Selling you’ll still get more miles to
    The gallon
    The Forum Herald™
  • Issue with diesel and older cars is the new emissions tax starting in april in quite a few major cities. Taking your car through the designated emissions zone will cost around £14 a trip. Crazy. One to be aware of. The older the car the higher the price of travel in that zone.

This article is for London but alot of cities and towns following Londons example

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/05/londons-ultra-low-emission-zone-what-you-need-to-know
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I reckon they will get heavier and heavier taxation in the future. Any easy and justifiable target for any government wanting to look good from an environmental perspective.
  • And yet my diesel Alfa is only £20 a year road tax. The government being as consistent with their intentions as ever.
  • These things go in cycles.
    The Forum Herald™
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Wrong thread Bob.
  • I wouldn’t get a diesel, not unless you’re doing 20,000+ miles a year. Rumours abound of massive tax hikes inbound on all diesels. Have a look at 2.0 petrol Titanium X spec Mondeo estates. Proper bargains, and relatively cheap to fix if they go wrong.
  • Imho it could go either way with diesels.
    Locally its quite likely cities will introduce and increase carbon zone taxes. Partially because councils are fucking skint.

Nationally, I wouldn't expect any further changes to road tax, the story is dead now and our governments are reactionary.
  • Still the cost issue. Diesel is costly, and you don’t really see any major savings unless you’re doing serious mileage.

Also there’s the environmental/air quality issue.

Also also there’s the fact that most diesels handle like a bag of spanners because a quarter tonne of pig-iron lumped on your front axle is a bad thing.
  • If you're looking at an estate around 6k with all those toys you mentioned, you're in the same market as I've just been - if you're happy with a 2012 car. Mines was advertised with 6.2k on the window, there's a few of them out there at that money.
  • The juke is very small but if you like the looks go for it,
    The Forum Herald™
  • Bob wrote:
    These things go in cycles.

Nah, that’s wankels.
  • poprock wrote:
    Bob wrote:
    These things go in cycles.

Nah, that’s wankels.

Rotary gags are the best gags.

• But they use a lot of oil
    The Forum Herald™
  • HawBawJaws wrote:
    If you're looking at an estate around 6k with all those toys you mentioned, you're in the same market as I've just been - if you're happy with a 2012 car. Mines was advertised with 6.2k on the window, there's a few of them out there at that money.

Yeah it'll be around a 2012 version.

Finding petrol versions of these old estates is tough! But will keep searching. Wonder whether to wait for the plate change in March, if it'll make a difference
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    I'll add to the noise that my sister has had to get rid of her family wagon recently as the 2012ish era diesel she was running was going to cost £1500+ to get through last year's mot. They seem to be tightening up the emission regs year on year to get them off the roads.

She ended up with a recentish petrol Zafira as she needed to ferry 4 rapidly expanding boy children and her fella about..
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • Yeah M.O.T conditions changed in April iirc.
    Much stricter now on emissions amongst other things. The advisory process is also different.
  • My long term car plan is all falling into place nicely.

Currently have an MR2 Roadster that belonged to my departed Stepdad. Have to keep that for another few years, out of respect. Also a ‘practical’ diesel Alfa Giulietta which is (very) surprisingly quick and has a really luxurious interior.

In a few years time the diesel will be financially impossible to keep on the road, so we’ll be forced to get rid. I’ll sell on the Roadster at the same time, and we can replace the two cars with one old 911. Job done. Hopefully Brexit will fuck the prices for classic cars in the UK and we’ll be able to pick one up without going bankrupt.
  • I know a chap that has a 2.7 '72 911 he will be selling soon. Just finished restoring it. Lovely thing. Probably be a lot cheaper than market value too as he mainly does it for the fun of the work. I can always ask him if it's still available...
  • I know a chap that has a 996 that he's putting into storage.. even the value for those are going through the roof.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Jaco wrote:
    I know a chap that has a 2.7 '72 911 he will be selling soon. Just finished restoring it. Lovely thing. Probably be a lot cheaper than market value too as he mainly does it for the fun of the work. I can always ask him if it's still available...

That’s exactly the sort of thing I’ll be looking for, but not just yet. I’m thinking about four or five years from now. Want to run the Alfa as long as it’s practical to do so (basically until the government tax me into stopping).
  • V6 and V8 cars will probably go up in value over the next few decades i think.
  • Yeah for sure but nobody will drive the fuckers.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Eventually, all ICE cars will be the preserve of those that can afford them as hobbyist toys and will sooner or later only be allowed on tracks / private roads.
  • I dont see the hybrid/electric revolution gaining any traction in less devrloped countries. Infrastructure and cost of ownership being two massive hurdles.
  • Yeah presumably he means in the first world.
    The Forum Herald™

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!