The Car thread
  • Hmm. Not really sure I'll ever enjoy a saloon shape unless it's a high end German type. The Rapid Spaceback in Sport SE trim is a good alternative though, I'd say. A lot of spec for not a lot of money, and that glass roof is nnnnnnnnice.

Still, dunno if that's too big for a "first", or if that is even a thing.
  • Budget I'll be on PCP probably trying to keep it under 150p/m but will push up higher if its a really really nice one.
  • If you’re going new, seriously look at the Skoda Fabia. Seriously.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • Also the VW Up GTI
  • No no, PCP used. With my budget I'll only really get entry level if I go brand new and nahhhhh I want nice things. The UP is a tin can and I'm 6'4" ill look bloody ridiculous.

Fabia has always been a shout but.... I want an armrest.

I've never said I'm not difficult. ;)
  • Hmm toys size and luxury for £150 p/month? Definitely the Octavia. Avoid diesel though.

Also consider a Mondeo Titanium X. Really.
  • Tbf on the UP my brother had one for a bit and was fine, I could even sit behind him happily. We are both 6'1". However I do get not wanting to look like Simpsons "this is the largest automobile I could afford" guy.

Anyway. Be sure to have a look at insurance quotes before setting your heart on anything.
    Safety extras can help here as well.
    My dad got £60 knocked off his quote earlier just far having parking sensors.
    So consider paying a bit more for park assist or auto braking may save money in the long run if available.
  • Yeah I'm very weary of being set on a car then forgetting its a 1.6 or 2.0 and being like hmmmm insurance eh

Would definitely like rear sensors though. Can see them being a lifesaver in my formative years as a driver.

Jimbo, again I just really don't like the saloon shape. Screams taxi driver to me. Hence maybe the Rapid Spaceback?
  • Octavia and Mondeo are hatchbacks...
  • Rapid is a d3cent car though. A Polo basically.
  • Insurance on absolutely everything with be the fuck. New driver, Glasgow postcode, etc etc. They’ll probably cross-reference with your social media, find this place, and whack an extra two hundred quid on your quote just for Forza chat.
  • Apologies, my terminology usage is very noob-like in here. 2012 mondeos are in the price range. Hmmm... Food for thought.

I guess I just need to either listen to that age old advice of "first car? Fuck sake stop being silly and get something small and that'll be you. There's a Corsa, good lad" or just sack it off and say lol here's my fastback
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    I think that’s Mazda 3. The five is a people carrier

Yes Three, that Five looks like an ugly Totota Previa
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Just had a swatch at a '14 Mazda 3 on Auto Trader. Dang, shits tight.

Poppo, they'd also see my insane number of FNF victories and apply a superb discount, obvs.
  • I had a Mazda 3. Cracking car. Avoid the diesel though. Go for the 120PS SE-L spec. Many toys, drives really well, as much power as you want for a newbie driver, cheap tax and insurance.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I'm rocking a 2014 mazda 3. It's a very nice little car. Drives well and is economical too. £30 a year tax!
  • Yep, I have the same. Won't set the world on fire but it's fine.
  • I'm rocking a 2014 mazda 3. It's a very nice little car. Drives well and is economical too. £30 a year tax!

My £20 tax a year Alfa Romeo laughs at your 30 quid. So expensive!
  • £20?!
  • Yup. £20 a year VED, even though it’s faster than my Roadster and very roomy inside. No, I don’t understand it either.
  • That’s... what?
  • Diesel. It’s a diesel. That’s why. I think? 2016 model, two litre diesel with a massive Garret turbo and all the toys. 20 quid a year. Utterly bizarre.
  • Hmmm, I'll look more at the Mazda then. Happy with a Badger Approved vehicle. Although why do affordable Asian shapes have to be so.... So..... So..... Meh lookin?

Also, I'm confused at the messaging here. Get diesel, save on car tax, but also don't get diesel, cos it bad. Huh?
  • I'm confused at the messaging here. Get diesel, save on car tax, but also don't get diesel, cos it bad. Huh?

Welcome to UK Government’s clear and sensible environmental policy messaging.

(Up until a year or two ago, they were telling everyone to buy diesel because it’s better for the environment and for air pollution, and enacting policy to encourage uptake. Then they changed their minds. Now it’s bad, mmmkay?)
  • Ah. Makes total sense if they're behind it.
  • Yeah. Basically, the officially-sanctioned methods of measuring harmful particulates in the air changed. Under the old methods, modern diesels came out cleaner than equivalent petrol-engined cars. Under the new methods, they come out worse. Cue immediate U-turn from both EU and UK governments and an impressive amount of Orwellian doublethink about how ‘we have always been at war with Diesel engines’, because politicians can never admit that they were wrong.

But there are safeguards in place that prevent suddenly changing tax/charges on the cars people already own, so mine’s a good example – super-cheap tax on a car with a clean-as-possible modern diesel engine, and they can’t bump my tax up overnight. It’ll probably be 10 years or more before the taxation catches up with their change in policy. 

But don’t buy a brand-new diesel car now – those are taxed to buggery. So much so that many manufacturers have just removed diesel from their line-ups.
  • Ah. And if I get a used "clean diesel" car with low tax, will I be safe for a similar amount of time as you? Or will I be first on the chopping block since I bought after these changes were made?
  • Nope, same idea as me.

Vehicle tax rates roll out year-on-year, but only on new cars. Existing cars stay at their existing tax rate for a while. But I don’t think it’s a guarantee, it’s just ‘the way it’s done’.

The bigger thing is the sales tax on the new vehicle, anyway. That’s the one the Gov really bump up whenever they can. The reason most manufacturers have dumped diesel engines recently is the insanely high tax placed on buying new ones. They can’t compete any more.
  • You probably shouldn’t worry too much about tax anyway – your insurance is going to be the far bigger concern. You could start getting online quotes on random cars just now, pretending you’ve already passed your test. It’d give you a genuine feel for how much it’ll sting you for on different cars.
  • My beemers 20 quid a year to tax as well. It's not stupid fast, but quicker than the Volvo was (which was a zero tax car).

R.e. insurance, when i changed to the bmw, i updated my address as well. Weirdly, even though it's street parking here and i had a driveway at my old house, it actually reduced in real terms. Insurance companies are weird.

As by bawbag ex is currently finding out, as she rattled her car into another one last week. Not even had her car 7 days and she prangs fuck out of it.

Am i allowed to laugh, given that nobody was hurt??

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!