Weird Stuff (tinfoil hat wearing goons only, please)
  • Kow wrote:
    See, I didn't think any of those things were true. Mandela effect is just bad memory.

Probably. Still quite interesting though how i share false memories with lots of other people. There's tons of them, some very US specific, but i can't be the only one here finds at least one a bit strange

https://mandelaeffect.net/mandela-effect-examples
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Wasn’t Jane Goodall being killed by her chimps from the Simpsons?
  • Nelson Mandella can't have died in the mid 90s because Titchmarsh did his garden in 1999.
    Gotta have a system to remember these things.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    See, I didn't think any of those things were true. Mandela effect is just bad memory.

Also a bit of echo chamber / easily persuaded bullshit maybe, having read up on the term of never heard of before.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I don't think there are that many who share most of the memories those videos claim. People share the videos and say oh look at all the people that believe this without actually believing it themselves. Personally I think it's a crock.

Edit; bah, Muzzy.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Now watch Djornson flounce.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    The fact its called the Mandela effect, because apparently people think he died in the 90s, makes me dismiss the lot. 1990 is the year he was released from prison, which is why the 90s are the first decade that jumps out at people when asked about him.
  • *shrug*

ok :) i think it's interesting.

i've asked some people in real life to describe the Fruit of the Loom logo and they remember it the wrong way (like i do.)
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Probably some overlap with urban legend in there too.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Fruit of the Loon
  • Ya'll should chill more and Google more. This seems like a reasonable intro:

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Mandela_effect

The ones that i agree with the fact seem batshit crazy to me anybody would think otherwise too
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I don't even know wtf it is so :shrug: that's my memory for ya
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I guess it's a bunch of grapes and an apple or something.
  • Some of them are definitely things, mainly the spelling and movie/book titles.

Interview with a Vampire vs Interview with the Vampire is fairly common.
  • I know Mandela didn't die in the 90s because I remember when we needed to buy new biographies for the library that referred to him being dead.

Also a problem with the current crop of sex scandals - you never know when some personality'll get outed as a nonce and we'll have to remove all those books that say how great they are.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Confusing Interview with a Vampire vs the Vampire is most likely down to just not having had much interest in the stupid movie at the time and never thinking about it again. Hardly anything weird going on. There are also typical spelling mistakes people make due to pronunciation etc - it's not weird that many people would make the same mistake.
  • Yeah certainly nothing weird.
    I filed it alongside all those photos of supposed time travellers because they are apparently wearing a red t shirt in a black and white photo.
  • The fact its called the Mandela effect, because apparently people think he died in the 90s, makes me dismiss the lot. 1990 is the year he was released from prison, which is why the 90s are the first decade that jumps out at people when asked about him.

According to the internet, it's people thinking he died in the 80's not 90's.

Obviously none of them are rugby fans.
  • I imagine 90% of that stuff is Americans being pig ignorant about anything beyond one farm over.
  • Could you humour me with a little experiment? PM your answers?

We Are the Champions by Queen. How does it end?
    What did Darth Vader say to Luke?
    Whats the famous line about the mirror and the wall in Snow White?
    What does Pikachu's tail look like? (think shape and colour)
    Sex ? the city
    Full product name of the worlds most popular soft drink
    Most famous line from Forest Gump (it's about confectionary)
    Describe Dolly in Moonraker
    Will Smith lovelife history
    Describe most famous picture of Henry VIII

Dont know how to word this one so will just describe. A lot of people remember a movie called Shazam with Sinbad as a genie. It doesn't exist.

p.s. remember, i don't think there is anything crazy going on. It's just interesting how bad human's memory is. And also that's kinda scary because we are our memories and all our political opinions for example are based on memory, so perhaps we are easily manipulated.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    "Some people distinctly remember him dying in prison in the 80s". Have those people not watched any news at all in the following 40 years?
  • Kow wrote:
    "Some people distinctly remember him dying in prison in the 80s". Have those people not watched any news at all in the following 40 years?
    LivDiv wrote:
    I imagine 90% of that stuff is Americans being pig ignorant about anything beyond one farm over.

• Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I couldn't answer more than one of those. And I know my answer would be wrong, but it would be wrong because the line has been misquoted so often, not because my memory is wrong.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Djornson wrote:
    Could you humour with a little experiment? PM your answer?

We Are the Champions by Queen. How does it end?
    What did Darth Vade say to Luke?
    Whats the famous line about the mirror and the wall in Snow White?
    What does Pikachu's tail look like? (think shape and colour)
    Sex ? the city
    Full product name of the worlds most popular soft drink
    Most famous line from Forest Gump (it's about confectionary)
    Describe Dolly in Moonraker
    Will Smith lovelife history
    Describe most famous picture of Henry VIII

Dont know how to word this one so will just describe. A lot of people remember a movie called Shazam with Sinbad as a genie. It doesn't exist.

p.s. remember, i don't think there is anything crazy going on. It's just interesting how bad human's memory is. And also that's kinda scary because we are our memories and all our political opinions for example are based on memory, so perhaps we are easily manipulated.

I could answer most of those questions, but if you told me any of my answers were wrong, I’d just shrug.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    I couldn't answer more than one of those. And I know my answer would be wrong, but it would be wrong because the line has been misquoted so often, not because my memory is wrong.

Actually, I think a lot of Mandela Effect examples are because of initial misquotes, comedy skits, and so forth
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Could you humour with a little experiment? PM your answer? We Are the Champions by Queen. How does it end? What did Darth Vade say to Luke? Whats the famous line about the mirror and the wall in Snow White? What does Pikachu's tail look like? (think shape and colour) Sex ? the city Full product name of the worlds most popular soft drink Most famous line from Forest Gump (it's about confectionary) Describe Dolly in Moonraker Will Smith lovelife history Describe most famous picture of Henry VIII Dont know how to word this one so will just describe. A lot of people remember a movie called Shazam with Sinbad as a genie. It doesn't exist. p.s. remember, i don't think there is anything crazy going on. It's just interesting how bad human's memory is. And also that's kinda scary because we are our memories and all our political opinions for example are based on memory, so perhaps we are easily manipulated.
    I could answer most of those questions, but if you told me any of my answers were wrong, I’d just shrug.

That's fair enough. Some people freak out at some of them because, i guess, they don't like to think that their memory is fallible?
  • Kow wrote:

To be honest, no, i probably didn't watch the news much between the ages of 20 and 30. I ocassionally read stuff by Robert Fisk or John Pilger. But i think the point is exactly what you are pointing out. HOW can i misremember it? It makes no sense. There must be some other explanation... (again, i'm playing devils advocate here)
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Memory is incredibly fallible. We have rubbish memories.
  • Memory is incredibly fallible. We have rubbish memories.

I don't disagree. I guess the answer to my initial question 'is this an appropriate place to discuss the Mandela Effect' was no :)
  • I can answer all those questions and most would be right, and if they weren't, Aliens.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!