Xenoblade Chronicles
  • I think the suffocation it puts on you with all the fetching and endless sidequest lists can be a lot off putting, at least it was for me.
  • Yeah, it really does pile it on. It crosses the line that games have whereby it's all too much and you resign yourself to never doing it. GTA has the same problem, except in GTA you don't feel like your character/party is worse off than it could be because you've not bothered finding 50 stunt jumps.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    I enjoyed it but I never want to do an MMO quest again. Kill this thing ok NO
    I felt the same. I loved the game but you get to that bit on the Bionis Leg or whatever and the game smacks you with a million side quests that have to be done now or you'll lose them forever. I got most of the way through them and realised I'd had my fill. 

Such a shame as I should really have pressed on with the story to see where it took you but there you go.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yeah, agree that it neede a bit of quality control on it - anyone finished it? What level is sufficient for a good run at final boss? Coz I'll just do to there then fuck dem sideys
  • So is the gripe then, that the game has too many side quests? Why not just skip them once you've had your side quests fill?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    So is the gripe then, that the game has too many side quests? Why not just skip them once you've had your side quests fill?

Because then you end up stuck against a boss who can wipe your party out in two hits.

There are some spikes later on, let me tell you, when you end up facing a boss or two who make a mockery of you, so you need to grind out some levels and that means doing some of the quests to get EXP. Even without the quests the grind is a chore. When you get to the midway point of the game there as fucking wall of difficulty. I pushed through but it took crazy grinding.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Yeah, agree that it neede a bit of quality control on it - anyone finished it? What level is sufficient for a good run at final boss? Coz I'll just do to there then fuck dem sideys

my office mate was around 95 I think. He did everything upto near the end of the game and found the last boss too easy because there are some even tougher baddies.
  • @Tempy: really? If that's true, I will not get along with the game later. Hate grinding. Sucks.
  • I finished it.  Didn't care for the grindy bits but it's a quality title.
    3DS: 2105-8748-8084 Switch: SW-3316-5834-8308 PSN: aynsleyw
  • Currently working my way through Makna Forest, it's so pretty.
  • Gave up on this, wish I hadn't, it's like FF7 and 8 all over again, i'll probably never go back to it now i've lost momentum.
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    Some of the locations will stay with me forevar.
    The vast wide open sprawliness of the second area(?) with huge monsters grazing. Epic.

Don't OD on quests.
  • The music has been continuously amazing too.
  • Music is by a couple of legends plus others.
  • Nick wrote:
    Thread's a nice reminder. I'm in the 30 hours then shelved camp.
    Same. As others have said it's too much of a drag. More than just the sidequests, it's a shame they've created such nice locations to explore and then not really put anything interesting to find in them.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Not sure why people are saying there's nothing interesting to find. There's tons. Hell, there's even secret locations for which you get bonus XP for discovering.

Plus, don't OD on sidequests? Wot? I spent the last 18 hours of this game doing nothing but sidequests. There's the usual plethora of 'kill x of creature y to obtain z items of type a' quests, but some really interesting ones, too. How many games have you resolve a love triangle?
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii

Send message
    I always do the extra quests in every game I play, I just thought they got a bit repetitive in this.
  • I therefore challenge you to complete the "extra" quests in Skyrim. See you in two years.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii

Send message
    I thought that when I posted it.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    Not sure why people are saying there's nothing interesting to find. There's tons. Hell, there's even secret locations for which you get bonus XP for discovering.
    It's that it's just a location, most of the time, and there's nothing really there other than the place itself. The game also throws new weapons and gems at you at such a rate that there's never much of a sense of discovery when you stumble across one. There's something to be said for rationing such things (and side quests) so that they remain meaningful and offer a greater sense of reward.

I dunno, all I can say is that (and some not very interesting characters) was enough to make me give up after forcing myself to continue for a good while.
  • I agree with JonB. Also love triangle is still as dull as any other quest the game chucks at you.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    You're all dead inside. This game is amaze.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • The core is great, all the extra padding ruins it and how avoidable it is if you want to progress makes it suck a little.

Also, opinions swirly.
  • Nah if you don't like a game that swirl likes you are dead inside. Trufax.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    F U DON'T LIEK NITDO FU
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    COINZ.

I just need the Last Story OST with the first edition slipcase and my Rainfall collection will be COMPLETE BWAHAHAHAHAHA
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Here's a good example of why I love this game.

I'm not high enough level to do the story quest I'm currently at. Not high enough to do it without serious amounts of stress, anyway. So last night I decide to do some "grinding", by which I mean going through some of the multitude of side quests I have left. This may make completionists twitch, the sheer number of side quests in this game, but it does mean you never have to wander around the world map killing things just to get to a high enough level. You're always doing something.

So I decide to do one that involves collecting Items A and B from Locations 1 and 2. When I get to Location 1, there's a giant dock-off ant-thing, many levels higher than my party. Fuck, I thought, there's no way I'm going to be able to do this. But wait... his icon indicates he'll only attack if he hears me. So I walk right up to the item and take it. From right under this monstrosity's nose. My heart still pounding in my chest, I head to Location 2 to find that Item B is halfway up a cliff, guarded by a trio of fuck-you-level monsters. I spot that these guys will only attack me if they see me... so I climb up the cliff via another route, and then climb back down behind them. I'm stood no more than three feet from these bastards, and I just sidle up and take the item.

Quest complete. At least 20 levels short of being able to do it via brute force and ignorance.

Magic.
  • I'm gonna go back and do this during the holidays. Funnily enough it was the same 30 hour mark that I gave up on. I've since picked up the classic controller which should be a nice change. I'm gonna wrap up the last few games I like on the wii and move it into the CRT ZONE, filled with old games I love but never play.
    XBL: DJ Rick Joyce
    PSN: P-BAP
  • Stop making me want to go back and finish this, i'm trying to move on with my stack of other, unfinished games.
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Get involved, you know you want to.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!