Secret Santa 2012 - The Grand Reveal!!!
  • Maria, If I dont fucking receive my Jaffa cakes after EVERYTHING I've done for this forum...
  • :)
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    @Google: It wasn't a 'you' you, it was a collective you. Our monthly income (until the end of this month) is around £3k so for me to spend £200 would be like somebody getting £50 on the dole spending a tenner.

Also Amazon isn't all bad, I bought my mate a pair off those black & white salt & pepper pots hugging for about £2.50 inc postage so there are bargains and ones that mean something to be had at even the 'regular' retailers...
  • google wrote:
    Regardless of price, I'm really looking forward to someone spending some time thinking of what they'd like to get me and receiving a package with stamps and handwriting on through my door. I'd much rather someone just spend a couple of quid and spend the time and effort to do that than spending more and getting a courier to send it to me.
    Great if it works out, but it depends how well the person knows you whether they can really think of something suitable, and in my case there's no chance of you getting something posted personally.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    The thing about secret santa's in a work place is that people don't actually know each other. Things are bought on a whim. I don't see what the issue is. Just have a minimum and maximum spend that's all good surely? Santa gifts people don't like can always be re-gifted. I don't think anyone should take it personally. Unless I am missing the point of a secret santa?! Please say so if I am!
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • You are right but I also agree with Google, i'd take a found object wrapped in newspaper with more excitement then an Amazon order. However this obviously won't suit everybody so I'll be happy whatever I receive.
  • I don't want to buy a gift from Amazon.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Oh no blatantly! But I won't rule out ordering from amazon and having it delivered to me then me showing whatever it is some TLC before posting it off. I mean some may not have a choice but to order something from amazon.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • beano wrote:
    Please say so if I am!

You're not wrong - but this is a forum. It's not particularly difficult to find out someone's favourite games/movies/music/tastes - you just look at their forum history.

But you're right in one regard. If someone were to just find something funny/cute/cool and send it that would suffice.

I just feel like Amazon is a cold, heartless store - the equivalent of rushing to a petrol station and buying some flowers on mothers day.
  • Bean - it's not amazon that's the issue - it's just a means to an end. 

But the idea of secret santa in my eyes should be that it's a fun, interesting exercise to spread some christmas cheer to friends all over the country/planet.

Throwing in credit card details and not actually interracting with it feels...wrong.

Your idea is sound though. I will take extra glitter on my George Michael Biography, please.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Fair do's - just trying to find some good in it somewhere or at least discover how or when it can be acceptable. 

But I totally understand the cold-feel. I've spent years sending xmas gifts to fambo via amazon due to geographical locations and baggage restrictions on flights. I even have my family send my xmas presents via amazon to my house because of the restrictions. So I don't have any presents until I get home and make it to the post office but I don't have to crush stuff into cases or pay sleazeyjet fifty quid for an extra bag. (I even had an argument about sexism and women and massive handbags + carry on luggage. They weren't having it.)

Spent the past 5 years at least have been like this. This year, although a lot of it I am likely to still do via amazon marketplace, I am trying to make an effort were I wrap and post presents myself. I've managed to post / get at least one item to fambo and friends this year for birthdays without amazon and I've felt rather good about it.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    It's the postage that kills it, the posters I have made are going to cost £3 each to send and that's only for a postal tube. Anything of any decent dimension will cost a small fortune to send...
  • I agree with google here that by actually finding, wrapping and sending a gift with a handwritten note feels like it has more thought behind it and is more in the spirit of things. 
    However I will also agree that sometimes it's not possible to do this due to various reasons and will not rule out the possibility of searching online and ordering something that i think someone will like. It is still the thought that counts and I know for a fact that I wouldn't look at an amazon package from someone on here and think "oh... They didn't put much thought in did they?", I'll just be happy that someone took the effort to think of me and think of something I might like.

Will certainly be better than my last secret Santa gift anyway, my female boss bought me a pair of novelty cock barbells. 

That was an awkward laugh round the dinner table!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    If I get google, I'm going to buy him Lucas Radebe.

Money no object.
  • Will certainly be better than my last secret Santa gift anyway, my female boss bought me a pair of novelty cock barbells. 

That was an awkward laugh round the dinner table!

The only way to deal with that would be to wop out the old Johnson and put them to work.
  • Olimite wrote:
    If I get google, I'm going to buy him Lucas Radebe. Money no object.

1849493_120215143507_Shell_radebe.JPG
  • n0face wrote:
    Will certainly be better than my last secret Santa gift anyway, my female boss bought me a pair of novelty cock barbells.  That was an awkward laugh round the dinner table!
    The only way to deal with that would be to wop out the old Johnson and put them to work.

Who said I didn't? Lol
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    My mate bought his secretary (who had 'a reputation') a box of condoms. There was some hooha. Somehow it didn't get tracked back to him - lucky boy!
  • i'm tempted to show some spirit and join up, but now i'm worried i'll be kicked off the forum for picking the first thing i see on amazon for a tenner....

also, being a 'secret santa' to me is an exercise in buying something ridiculous, if it's something you wanted then i've let myself down! ;)

anyway, isn't this all just a convoluted marketing scam so that moto can find out our names and addresses?
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • At a previous company a nice lad who was a little too easily coerced into things by his slightly more outgoing chum, bought a rather large lady a ceramic pig and a pack of diet cereal bars. There was uproar. The lady was obviously offended and the lad felt so guilty that he apologised to her and bought her a large tin of Roses by way of apology.
  • moto, do you want to mark the OP'ers with those who you have their home address? Heads up for those who dont to send it over asap
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Skondo wrote:
    At a previous company a nice lad who was a little too easily coerced into things by his slightly more outgoing chum, bought a rather large lady a ceramic pig and a pack of diet cereal bars. There was uproar. The lady was obviously offended and the lad felt so guilty that he apologised to her and bought her a large tin of Roses by way of apology.

at a previous place i worked, a 'rather large lady' was getting married and someone bought her a slimming book as a wedding present!  what i found even more amusing though, is that i mis-heard at first and thought they had bought her a 'swimming' book, which i thought was just a brilliantly insane thing to buy someone, rather than simply insensitive!
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Am I sending moto my address now? Or are we waiting?
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    moto, do you want to mark the OP'ers with those who you have their home address? Heads up for those who dont to send it over asap
    I'll do it over the weekend, I'll put a mark next to each of those that I have received.

At Ram, no need to worry about me knowing addresses as I'll delete them all once I've passed them to whoever is getting you your gift. All those that will be receiving their poster will know my address as I have put it on the label as a return address. Also f people are worried then could you not use your work address?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Can I get omega watch pls
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    haha!

Funnily enough I sold mine the other week as I simply never wore it, my mate has said that if I ever want it back I can...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I have bought all watcehs
  • ANSWER MY QUESTIONS EGG
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Can we call this Secret Shanta

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!