The overheard thread
  • JonB wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    Fridge's are complicated and stuff although I basically know how it works and it's quite fantasticaly cool.
    Even I know that much. And I know apostrophes

Oh burn it all down.

Weirdly I wrote that comment when I was correcting some internal communications full of stuff like "bonus's"
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I remember when I was discussing Pink Floyd with a friend who happens to be a physics teacher. He teaches up to A level. He was aware that the dark side of the moon isn't actually dark, but he did think it a remarkable coincidence that the Moon's rotational period was the same as the Earth's. Unfuckingbelievable.

Doesn't the same side of the moon always face towards Earth (albeit changing brightness dependent on orientation vs. the sun)?  It doesn't seem obvious that that should be the case (or have I just embarrassed myself more/less than your friend)?

Aren't there then other moons who's rotational period about their axis is a (non-1) integer multiple of their rotational period about the planet they're orbiting.  I don't think I ever properly understood why that was the case.

I can't help feeling there should be an online encyclopedia to help answer these questions.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The moon has greater mass on one half than the other, so gravity has acted on that side over however many millennia to cause it to always face earth.

Plus, I didn't know the seasons thing until I saw it on an Attenborough doco fairly recently. I don't know whether I wasn't told at school or just wasn't paying attention when I was told, but it surprised me at the time.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    How many seasons are there on the moon?
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    How many seasons are there on the moon?
    They're up to season 4 now, just before
    Spoiler:
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Some hippy idiot once told me science couldn't explain spring or neap tides. I told her it was indeed one of the great mysteries of nature.
  • A former manager tried to explain the existence of the soul (and thereby reincarnation and karma) through the second law of thermodynamics. I wasn't impressed.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Some hippy idiot once told me science couldn't explain spring or neap tides. I told her it was indeed one of the great mysteries of nature and then rendered her unable to bear spawn.

FTFY.
    A former manager tried to explain the existence of the soul (and thereby reincarnation and karma) through the second law of thermodynamics. I wasn't impressed.

OK, I'm curious. How?
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Just heard a pikey shout 'get my gun' to his woman whilst absolutely obliterating the biggest of four late teens who ran out of the Catford McDonald's to drag him out of a campervan.  He didn't look like he needed it, to be fair, but the threat was enough to send them back for their McFluffies with tails between legs.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    adkm1979 wrote:
    First, Shirley?

That'd make a smidgen more sense.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Just heard a pikey shout 'get my gun' to his woman whilst absolutely obliterating the biggest of four late teens who ran out of the Catford McDonald's to drag him out of a campervan.  He didn't look like he needed it, to be fair, but the threat was enough to send them back for their McFluffies with tails between legs.

Never, ever, cross a pikey.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Fridges work by keeping the things inside it cool.  are you lot stupid or something?
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    "It's in the eyes, if you look crazy. The challenges of teaching. I bet the first iteration of the wheel wasn't round. It's all bollocks (edit) Bollocks to it!"
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Fridges work by keeping the things inside it cool.  are you lot stupid or something?
    JonB wrote:
    Fridge's are complicated and stuff although I basically know how it works and it's quite fantasticaly cool.
    Even I know that much.
    There you go.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Just heard a pikey shout 'get my gun' to his woman whilst absolutely obliterating the biggest of four late teens who ran out of the Catford McDonald's to drag him out of a campervan.  He didn't look like he needed it, to be fair, but the threat was enough to send them back for their McFluffies with tails between legs.
    Never, ever, cross a pikey.

He was only about 5ft 10", quite lean and muscular, but the guy he had up on a car bonnet was probably 6ft, slightly brick shithousey, and clearly worked on his glory muscles in the gym.  Four against one, with the one being the second smallest of the lot, I thought he was done for.  Campervanman didn't even take a punch as far as I could see, it was a masterclass in self defence (although probably caused by a masterclass in cuntery when he was in the McDonald's a minute or so earlier).   

My Labrador decided to pretend to be fearsome from the safety of our car, I was very proud.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    A former manager tried to explain the existence of the soul (and thereby reincarnation and karma) through the second law of thermodynamics. I wasn't impressed.

OK, I'm curious. How?

Energy cannot be created or removed, so what happens when the human body dies? All that energy has to go somewhere. Therefore there must be a soul!

• GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    The worms that come to eat thee up convert it into kinetic energy when they wiggle away, is that so hard to believe?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    What do you get if you cross a pikey?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Something fishy?
  • The worms that come to eat thee up convert it into kinetic energy when they wiggle away, is that so hard to believe?

I couldn't be arsed to explain. The concept had clearly gone straight over his head at some point in the past.
  • From a pub quiz earlier in the week: (which is the best one I've ever been to because the quizmaster was so smashed for the second half he resembled Orson Welles peddling Paul Masson):

Quizmaster: "Which actress links the following three films...."

Woman from the team that eventually romped to victory: "Why do you have to use the word actress?  The word acTOR is non gender specific".

Quizmaster: "Because I meant an actress.  With a vagina".
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    OK, I'm curious. How?
    Energy cannot be created or removed, so what happens when the human body dies? All that energy has to go somewhere. Therefore there must be a soul!

I think that'd be the first law they're thinking of. But still, epic muppetry. As good as the people who think that water is destroyed when it enters the body, hence there must be a god.
  • Woops. At least I knew it were one of the laws!
  • JonB wrote:
    Fridges work by keeping the things inside it cool.  are you lot stupid or something?
    JonB wrote:
    Even I know that much.
    There you go.
    oh. (now) i see what you did there.  bravo.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Woops. At least I knew it were one of the laws!

To be honest, the geezer in question probably did say it was the second law, it's pretty clear he didn't understand them anyway!
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    "Sweating like a blind lesbian in a fish market."

An old one that you only ever hear an old timer say. Great to overhear, especially when you look and realise it was said by someone pushing 80.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    This was on TV a while ago but was a police reality show - set in Belfast so was quite novel - I was reminded of it by the McDonalds located tale earlier in the thread.

A set of winos in McD's had clearly pushed the patience of the manager who had asked the boys in green to clear them out after they produced several cans of Carlberg's finest. As they hit the pavement the lady shouted to the camera in defence of her fellow inebriate who was getting it a bit rough as he was putting up some resistance...

"See? Police brutality! Can't even have a quiet drink in a restaurant." Her sense of injustice was hilarious.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!