The Star Wars thread - "Chewie, we're home."
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Pinocchio is one of Disney's finest ever. Incredible piece of work. When Disney knew how to do dark for kids.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Me and the boy at present mainly use Disney+ for watching the 90s Spider-man cartoon. I watched them previously when each episode was spread out over three hours on Going Live, excruciating at the time. I think they took so long to show them that they never showed the entire series or more likely I gave up.

Plenty of other cartoons, X-men, Clone Wars, etc. to keep me paying for the sub.
    Things can only get better.
  • Not sure if there is a seperate mandolrian thread, but just started this and on epsiode 2 and so far its better than the recent triology of movies.
  • There is a Mando thread but it is spoilers all the way to the final episode.

Here is the thread anyway for reference.
    http://thebearandbadger.co.uk/discussion/2406/the-mandalorian-thread-of-beskar-spoilers-ep-8-finale/p1
  • Also you are correct. It is the best Star Wars since the moment Princess Leia met Wicket which marks the start of shit things in Star Wars.
  • Also why was this seemingly primitive creature called Wicket W Warrick?

I get Warrick will be because of the actor but how does this cave man teddy bear have a middle name?
  • Perhaps he just had a stutter?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I haven't been following any kind of conversations about it, but I'm 15 minutes into Rise of Skywalker and it's total garbage.
  • Ha I just searched for this thread to say this. Bored at home in a lull, thought I'd chuck it on for a bit, and it is absolutely woeful.
    Spoiler:
  • I'm sure Abrams thought he was being scripturally economical, he's such a fucking hack, how has he managed to become so successful?
  • Jennifer garner as a spy in school and an aeroplane crashing into a beach.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    I'm sure Abrams thought he was being scripturally economical, he's such a fucking hack, how has he managed to become so successful?

Money Making = popular which is not always equal to quality.
  • To be fair, JJ did a great job of TFA and the first Star Trek reboot movie.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • It's actually getting worse. This C3-P0 bit is just mind bogglingly stupid. Did no-one at any point say "this is the dumbest plot, it makes no sense; look, here are two dozen ways to make this more coherent"? How can anyone defend this?

It's the most obvious and terrible modern example I've seen of "how do we get from this set piece to this next set piece with the least amount of effort possible".
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    To be fair, JJ did a great job of TFA and the first Star Trek reboot movie.

I did like that Star Trek film. He clearly loves the original series.
  • davyK wrote:
    He clearly loves makes his money by superficially copying the nostalgic bits of the original series.
  • Based on

Lost
    Star Trek reboots
    Star Wars

He's a shameless talentless shallow hack and we are all diminished by someone like him making this much money out of our nostalgia and member berries
  • Member berries = testicles?
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    To be fair, JJ did a great job of TFA and the first Star Trek reboot movie.
    Right beside you SFN, don't give a fuck if he's deemed a hack by some, Abrams beamed me to galaxies far, far away and pushed some emotion buttons that 'subversive' cunt missed by a astronomical mile.

Rise of Skywalker was shite though.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I thought the Star Trek reboot was bang on the money. Solid cast (Pegg being the only weak link), Star trekky plot, great visuals and whipped along at a nice action movie pace. Sequels got progressively worse, but always like a bit of Cumberbatch action, so it gets a couple of extra points for that.
  • He's decent at beginnings, but terrible at actually setting up where a story will go and can't do an ending. Part of the problem is that his beginnings always appear to be setting things up, but he's only going through the motions.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    He clearly loves makes his money by superficially copying the nostalgic bits of the original series.

It was a very good cast.....that's probably why I like it.

A good peformance can make a difference in my book. I like Spectre because of Christoph Woltz.
  • I_R wrote:
    He's decent at beginnings, but terrible at actually setting up where a story will go and can't do an ending. Part of the problem is that his beginnings always appear to be setting things up, but he's only going through the motions.
    Yep. I enjoy the first bit of a lot of his stuff.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Funkstain wrote:

It was a very good cast.....that's probably why I like it.

A good peformance can make a difference in my book. I like Spectre because of Christoph Woltz.

DavyK that may have been a step too far ;-)
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    apologies for the antsy tone, very tired today :(
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • No no need to apologise! it's just like, my opinion, man

I mean nothing by it - just sort of half amused half aghast at how bad (I find) his movies / stories to be.

Davy's right - a good cast goes a long way and he seems to hit pay dirt with that (but that'll be his casting agent not him), and he's certainly not a terrible director or editor. Just that his stories make no sense, I mean to the extent of being seemingly deliberately audience-insultingly awful; and he seems to get away with a lot on nostalgia alone, or a sense of something deep without it actually being meaningful at all. He pushes buttons, but doesn't follow through with anything that stays with you other than a sense of being manipulated (in my case).

TRoS is the nadir of his oeuvre, it's just terrible, an embarrassment to good story telling and a shameless nostalgic condescending cash grab "oh we'll give them palpatine the nerds will love that".
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    Funkstain wrote:
    It was a very good cast.....that's probably why I like it. A good peformance can make a difference in my book. I like Spectre because of Christoph Woltz.
    DavyK that may have been a step too far ;-)

It's the only bits I remember come to think of it......probably says a lot..
  • Funkstain wrote:
    No no need to apologise! it's just like, my opinion, man I mean nothing by it - just sort of half amused half aghast at how bad (I find) his movies / stories to be. Davy's right - a good cast goes a long way and he seems to hit pay dirt with that (but that'll be his casting agent not him), and he's certainly not a terrible director or editor. Just that his stories make no sense, I mean to the extent of being seemingly deliberately audience-insultingly awful; and he seems to get away with a lot on nostalgia alone, or a sense of something deep without it actually being meaningful at all. He pushes buttons, but doesn't follow through with anything that stays with you other than a sense of being manipulated (in my case). TRoS is the nadir of his oeuvre, it's just terrible, an embarrassment to good story telling and a shameless nostalgic condescending cash grab "oh we'll give them palpatine the nerds will love that".
    I started to rewatch TROS the other night and with fresh eyes and I dont disagree with you. There were some awful cringeworthy lines/plot points. But what I will say in his favour is the world(s) in the movie feels fun and has a real spark of imagination. Some of the visuals are just gorgeous. Passana for example. Meeting Lando, the sith ship and sandworm,the knights of ren are all fucking dire. Proper shit. BUT. It looks amazing. Its another desert planet but with a life all of its own. The festival even was really cool looking. That planet felt like a proper Star Wars planet with Star Wars things happening on it. Similar to what Davy said about the actors, for me if the design,atmosphere and audio visuals are on point I can forgive a lot. 
    His story might be fan service but its main phase Star Wars. Id rather a fan service story than one that is written by someone who seems to hate Star Wars. (Points at RJ, spits).
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!