Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    But if an 85 minute supercut turns up in "the wild" it'd be easy to pin the blame on Grace as the source of the material that he was only allowed to cut privately and thus he'd find himself against Lucasfilm/Dinsey legal teams, which is the kind of gun no one wants to stare down. Probably better to just avoid all that.
    Cite Art or some such.  Fee's could be funded by the Legion of fans.  More to the point, Grace should have kept it to himself instead of teasing me.

Can't see how it will be that good, other than being over quicker. Will still have wooden acting and same old camera angles. Can't polish a turd.

But you can sprinkle it with sparkles.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • A late entry but Ali deffo gonna take the 'Most incorrect post of 2014' award.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Are we gonna get a top 5 before the year is over?
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    1.Ali
    -daylight-
    2.Tempy
    3.Tempy
    4.Tempy
    5.Tempy

Not saying which posts though.

The plot is laughable and the performances are tied directly to the dreadful dialogue, soulless blue-screenathon and shite direction.  Lucas had full control and this is what we got.  The plot is not adult, it's convoluted and misguided.  Complex does not mean good, and simple does not mean simplistic.  Stoklasa was spot on.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • I stand by the political plot. And Shakespeare is just as hammy at times. Palpatine mirrors the likes of Iago perfectly. Just because you don't like the prequels doesn't mean there was a great deal of intelligence underneath but what it needed was more Kasdan style polish and far, far less poo jokes and horrible acting. Everything else got in the way of the underlying plot and made it near irrelevant and removed any tension, peril or darkness. Not to mention f**king midichlorians. There's something they need to undo in the new trilogy.
  • Thanks. Love you too you cunt..

Just because it was filmed and acted worse than the average school nativity play doesn't mean in the right hands, that plot couldn't have worked brilliantly. But all we got was poo jokes and " faster, more intense" directing. Oh, and that "love is blind" scene. My skin still crawls at that.
  • Trade Disputes and Blockades and Midichlorians, oh my...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yes, if Kubrick had got hold of the "plot" he could probably have done something with it. So what? He could have done the same with a washing powder ad. Which frankly have more plot than the Phantom Menace.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Politics makes any film better.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Ariel: blockading the shit out of your clothes.
  • There's no intelligence to it. The taxation plot is incoherent, the politics is superficial, it's all boring and impossible to follow - not because it's complex but because the story is so poorly told.

Palpatine is actually one of the better realised things about the prequels but he's not exactly a well-developed character. He's just evil for the sake of it. What are his motivations, his philosophy, he just wants power and to kill good guys. It's standard kids cartoon character rendering.

They're bad films. Name something a film contains and the Phantom Menace is bad at it (plot, dialogue, actors, action sequences, set design, developing audience engagement, even the spaceships are shit and forgettable). The exceptions where it's actually quite good are costume design, character design on some of the aliens and the score which is boss. There may be others.
  • The Naboo Starfighter is a great looking ship. Always liked the design of the droid army too - landers, transports and tanks all looked great, and fit together as a force quite logically. They would have made an imposing military sight if Lucas dated elevate them above comedy junk.

Palatine as Iago though, heh. Ok.
  • I'll take those corrections.
  • The droids are one of he biggest problems for me, stormtroopers were shit shots, but they at least looked threatening on parade. Same as the Trade Federation, Lucas desperate to use CGI for everything so he doesn't have to pay for British character actors and a load of extras.
  • I'm fact the ship/vehicle design in Ep 1 is largely spot on and unique - pod racers included. I can't remember what a single craft from Ep2/3 look like. Ep1 felt Star Wars-y in that respect, the design was varied and largely on point with factions having definitive, logical designs.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I'm fact the ship/vehicle design in Ep 1 is largely spot on and unique - pod racers included. I can't remember what a single craft from Ep2/3 look like. Ep1 felt Star Wars-y in that respect, the design was varied and largely on point with factions having definitive, logical designs.

I'll take your word for it but barring a couple of exceptions I can't picture any of them.
  • It may have something to do with watching it when fairly young I guess.
  • monkey wrote:
    There's no intelligence to it. The taxation plot is incoherent, the politics is superficial, it's all boring and impossible to follow - not because it's complex but because the story is so poorly told. Palpatine is actually one of the better realised things about the prequels but he's not exactly a well-developed character. He's just evil for the sake of it. What are his motivations, his philosophy, he just wants power and to kill good guys. It's standard kids cartoon character rendering. They're bad films. Name something a film contains and the Phantom Menace is bad at it (plot, dialogue, actors, action sequences, set design, developing audience engagement, even the spaceships are shit and forgettable). The exceptions where it's actually quite good are costume design, character design on some of the aliens and the score which is boss. There may be others.

It's only impossible to follow because of all the other unnecessary shit around it and because Lucas's unedited plots are always useless. If you haven't read it, have a look at the original drafts of Star Wars in "Skywalking", a Lucas biography. Bloated doesn't even start to cover it. It was Leigh Bracket that pulled it all together into the first two films that everyone loves and that no sequel can match. Even Kasdan's work on Jedi isn't as good. But those first two movies boil down to "disparate bunch of good guys rescue princess and defeat bad guys" followed by "disparate bunch of good guys run away from bad guys pissed off about first film". That's it. Anyone saying an 8 year old could have written the prequels but not the original trilogy is talking nonsense. If Empire hadn't been so beautifully made by Kerschner, I'm not even convinced people would hold the originals in such reverence. Imagine if Lucas, buoyed by his success on Star Wars, had been given a free directorial role on Empire instead? It would have been another Phantom Menace moment. And Richard Donner's directing on Jedi was perfunctory at best. It certainly lacked any of the atmosphere of Empire.

That a clever plot was ruined by bad direction and even worse acting can't be disputed because it's completely true, and add to that list unnecessary plot McGubbins that spoiled the whole thing. Should have let Spielberg direct it IMO.

As for the design. There was both good and bad. The trade federation droids were a low point. They could have been threatening until they added that ridiculous voice and all the "roger, roger" nonsense. It turned them into comedy when they were meant to be a threat. I'm surprised the Seperatists didn't win because the Republic were too busy laughing to shoot. Lucas also mistimed so many of the jokes as well, ruining the tone of a lot of scenes. The worst being the Geonosis arena. The Jedi are defeated and about to be slaughtered, all is lost....and C3PO is wandering around with a trade federation body making terrible puns! Completely ruined the impact of the clones finally arriving. In the ObiWan vs Anakin fight I was just waiting for one of them to stand in poo and Jar Jar turn up with his tongue wrapped around something.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Go easy chaps, it's only a movie.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • I found the droid army awful. Yes aesthetically the army all tied together perfectly, from the ships to the troops to the landers etc. But the look of the droids themselves was shit. Completely non threatening. C3P0 looked tougher.
    I have to laugh at the opening crawl of Phantom Menace. There I was in the cinema on the first day..And bang there goes the music and the crawl starts talking about economic blockades and such? My lightsaber flopped like the old peado's in Blue Harvest. (and probably everyone else in the cinema too)
    Look the plot with the tax etc was a sideshow. It doesnt matter in the scheme of things. Provided the surrounding stuff was Star Warsy enough. In a good director's and writers hands they could have pulled it off.(oeeer). But Lucas fucking couldnt.
    A big problem though in Phantom for me aside from everything else was that fucking kid Anakin. What a super annoying cunt. Total dickhead. Plus he was born from the force??? Literally the force is his daddy. Not very powerful is he though? For all this prophesy talk Darth Vader doesnt turn out to be such a massive world ending power does he?
    Lucas is effectively saying that Vader is ForceJesus. Yet without the power that should bring. Its just a complete mess. I think Lucas got lost in his own ego and thought that a green screen could sort out Christiansen and Portman's frankly disgraceful acting.

EDIT @Ali I think we are on a similar page here brutha. Re droids and Lucas fucking things up at least :D
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Go easy chaps, it's only a movie.
    Hopefully no ones taking this too seriously.

The plot is not hard to follow due to bloat, it's hard to follow because it's barely there and what is there makes little sense.

Hence the 8 year old comment. Things are strung together illogically with no control like a rambling story made up on the spot by an idiot. Ep 4 on the other hand is lean as hell. You don't need much in these films. A basic framework to get your characters into battles, while making sure you're characters are interesting and develop or do interesting things. It's quite hard to be economical. Eps 1-3 not only lack brevity but theres not one interesting character in the whole 5 odd hours. When the characters do have developments they're poorly handled. And it's only really Anakin that changes in any perceptible way at all.
  • A big problem though in Phantom for me aside from everything else was that fucking kid Anakin. What a super annoying cunt. Total dickhead. Plus he was born from the force??? Literally the force is his daddy. Not very powerful is he though? For all this prophesy talk Darth Vader doesnt turn out to be such a massive world ending power does he? Lucas is effectively saying that Vader is ForceJesus. Yet without the power that should bring. Its just a complete mess. I think Lucas got lost in his own ego and thought that a green screen could sort out Christiansen and Portman's frankly disgraceful acting.

It always amazed me that he chose a child over a teenager. If he really was using ring stories (and he was) then he should have started with Anakin at the same age as Luke. Then we might have gotten someone who could actually act and not make you want to scream "shut the fuck up" when he blurts out "this is pod racing". Can you imagine A New Hope being remade to reflect the prequels more accurately? 

ObiWan: When I first met your father, he was already a whiny little cunt and things went downhill from there. Should have stabbed the fecker in the head if I'd realised....

And was I the only one watching Phantom and being creeped out when I  realised that Padme was going to shag this annoying little brat and produce Luke and Leia?

As to ForceJesus, that was Lucas reiterating Joseph Campbells theories and the whole virgin birth myth a bit too much. It's not unique to Christianity and Campbell devotes entire chapters of his 4 book Masks Of God to the subject. And Lucas does love Campbell.
  • Oh, and while we're ripping apart the prequels, can I just say "She's lost the will to live" and leave it out there for eyes to roll at? Should have ended with ObiWan desperately getting her lifeless body to a medical facility to save the twins and do away with all that ridiculous shite. And Lucas was using Othello as his base, like it or not. Desdemona dies of strangulation as well....
  • Obiwans character arc - gets smugger, grows beard.

This happens entirely off screen in the gap between the first and second films.
  • Ali wrote:
    And Lucas was using Othello as his base, like it or not
    Using a classic work of literature as the base for your story is not unique, inherently interesting or sufficient to elevate your story above the level of your ability to write it.
  • The main reason the prequels should never have made the leap from page to screen is because they are utterly irrelevant. I don't give a shit about Darth Vaders's back story, and neither should any other sane person. Everything you need to know about Darth Vader is revealed in the original three films.
    In trying to concoct a new three film narrative, Lucas completely forgot what made the original Star Wars great in the first place.
    Seriously, if there was a button you could push right now that would completely excise all memory of episodes 1-3 from history, who in their right mind wouldn't push it without hesitation?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Can't argue with that, g. 

But, equally, if there was a button marked (with a very large sticker) "Redo the entire prequel trilogy with Spielberg directing, Kasdan on script and people who can act", I'd press that instead.
  • @Ali those vids dont seem to be working...hmmm yes meeting Annie at Luke's age would have been much mo' betta. What annoys me too wa sthe Jedi sometimes forgetting to use the force. Like there were parts in the ObiWan - Jango fight I think. Obi Wan could have crushed all Jango's guns etc, or could have force pinned him to a wall etc. Same for a lot of the fights. I know Lucas was probably trying to make the fights more exciting by not having the Jedi as game breakingly powerful but cmon!!! These are magic ninjas!!!!!!

@G yup push that button. The prequels added nothing.At all. And in fact they have harmed the original trilogy. By fleshing out what I had presumed to be super cool backstories into.....what we got.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • In the trade they call it the Prometheus button.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!