The Star Wars thread - "Chewie, we're home."
  • Yeah, watched them last night, standard fare.  Seems better than Boba and Obi so far though.  And I'm glad the episodes were a decent length, giving time for things to actually develop and heppen.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • digi wrote:
    Just watched the first 2 episodes of ahsoka and it's all very predictable, still nothing much else to watch.

QFPT
  • I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would - it's pretty good Saturday morning kids TV show fodder.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Its ok. I like Shin and the big angry looking man. I can never remember his name. I like the ship designs. But the 3 main rebels lady folks leave me cold. Also that's quite the tight pair of pants on Hera.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • So many ass shots. Show seems to be aimed at adolescents.
  • I'm reading Thrawn at the moment.
    They really just need to make a Thrawn show with the Andor vibe.
    The book is even paced like a tv show.
  • I too have noticed the amount of Hera butt shots. I'm not really feeling this show much so far. I think they needed to revise the character looks from the animation. With her bright orange/yellow trousers Hera looks like someone cos-playing at a convention. I get that it's more of Saturday morning kids show type vibe than something like Andor but it just feels a bit juvenile. And more improtantly I'm not really liking Ahsoka as a character. She's just not very likeable.
  • She is rather dull and boring, I'm finding.  No character whatsoever.
  • Ahsoka herself seems strangely detached. Very bland, very boring to watch. And Im a bit confused, I don't remember Sabine being force sensitive in Rebels.

Regarding episode 3, Ill try not to spoil anything, but Im not liking the New Republic in this. Mon Mothma basically seems to be nerfed now? And the New Republic are a bunch of absolute clowns. I can only imagine its like this to tie into the sequel trilogy to retcon some of the points raised there.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    And Im a bit confused, I don't remember Sabine being force sensitive in Rebels.

She wasn’t. She is barely force sensitive in this. I think the idea is that Ashoka noticed she was a teeny bit force sensitive after Rebels and tried to apprentice her as some kind of weird self-development exercise. Struggling to understand what they’re trying to achieve both in-universe and out as it doesn’t seem she has enough native ability to be a Jedi.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Agreed about Ahsoka being too much of a stoic silent style. I think fans have been pretty clear they find that kind of character boring since the prequel trilogy. I don’t think it was necessarily bad she was a bit more muted in Rebels and Mando where she was a minor side-character but she’s leading a TV show - she needs to be more extroverted even if it risks coming across as a bit of an artificial retooling of the character post-Mando.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    She wasn't exactly muted in Clone Wars or Rebels. I haven't watched this but I wouldn't have expected her to be an Obi-wan clone.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Yeah I mean she was outright outgoing in Clone Wars but was a calmer mentor-style character by Rebels. It’s kinda weird to just keep going further and further down that route when you want the character to front a TV show.
  • I object to her character on the grounds that all Twi'leks should be Jabba's lap dancers, not Jedi!
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Anyone think that - like Boba Fett - it all looks too clean and shiny and obviously CGI? Star Wars' aesthetic was always 'used universe', and I feel Mando and Andor nailed the look, but Ashoka felt like a high budget fan film.

Also, the creases in those whatsits coming out of her head just makes her look as though she's made out of the stuff that's used for headphone ear pads. Someone described her as 'unweathered cosplay' and I can't help agree. It's a similar issue that I had with the Gamorrean guards in Boba Fett - the costume/ makeup is inferior to the original trilogy.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Doesn’t help that we are also watching in much higher resolution these days.
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Apparently there is a technical issue with Ahsoka where some colour data that is meant to be specific to Apple devices has ended up on the non-Apple versions of the video and is making the visual presentation look flat on affected devices so there’s a possibility it might be related to that.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    There certainly seemed to be issues with the latest episode.
    Spoiler:

Or maybe it’s my telly.
    Things can only get better.
  • Doesn’t help that we are also watching in much higher resolution these days.

See, first high-spec audio ends up with people needing to use subtitles unless they've got studio-level speakers and now this.

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    See, first high-spec audio ends up with people needing to use subtitles unless they've got studio-level speakers.

I’ve never heard anyone blame harder-to-make-out dialogue on the rise of high spec audio before. Not even sure what high spec audio is, TBH.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    See, first high-spec audio ends up with people needing to use subtitles unless they've got studio-level speakers.

I’ve never heard anyone blame harder-to-make-out dialogue on the rise of high spec audio before. Not even sure what high spec audio is, TBH.

I hear loads of complaints re audio mixes that when played through bog standard speakers it accentuates dialogue tracks that are at a lower level than, for example, other sound effects.

Just Google something like "why is dialogue so quiet in movies?"
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’ve read articles about the phenomenon, I’ve never heard it blamed on high spec audio before. Doesn’t explain why people complain about it in films in the cinema either.
  • Yeah I saw Tenet in a cinema with Dolby Atmos. Sound mix was atrocious.

• It’s a specific movement isn’t it, like a stylistic choice from the people making the movie? It sounds perfectly acceptable in the mixing room but becomes tricky across the multitude of sound set ups kicking around.
    So artistic choice x not that many perfectly tuned sounds kits x different levels of hearing = some people struggling with naturally delivered nattering.
  • Ahsoka the show is a strange one.(Ive seen as far as episode 5). The main story is following the Disney SW template. A super basic, pretty unremarkable story strung out way too far. The main characters are boring and all following a similar subdued, stoic template. There are many terrible writing decisions and things that dont make much sense, such as Ahsoka trying to train someone that Hyuyang described as pretty much the worst candidate for trianing he has seen in 100s of years.
    However, it looks and sounds fantastic in places. Echoes of old music themes coming through and some really lovely cinematography in spots.
    Spoiler:
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It’s a specific movement isn’t it, like a stylistic choice from the people making the movie? It sounds perfectly acceptable in the mixing room but becomes tricky across the multitude of sound set ups kicking around.
    So artistic choice x not that many perfectly tuned sounds kits x different levels of hearing = some people struggling with naturally delivered nattering.

I’m not even sure that it’s about it sounding perfectly acceptable in the mixing room, one of the theories that I’ve heard for why it comes about is because the people mixing the sound know what the dialogue is, so when they push background noise they can still make out what’s being said because they are able to make out the words that they are expecting to hear.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Pretty much agree with all you said there Ninja.
    Spoiler:

I’m enjoying it as my SW fix, far from perfect, but not a dumpster fire like some of the other misfires.
    Things can only get better.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    It’s a specific movement isn’t it, like a stylistic choice from the people making the movie? It sounds perfectly acceptable in the mixing room but becomes tricky across the multitude of sound set ups kicking around.

I’m not even sure that it’s about it sounding perfectly acceptable in the mixing room, one of the theories that I’ve heard for why it comes about is because the people mixing the sound know what the dialogue is, so when they push background noise they can still make out what’s being said because they are able to make out the words that they are expecting to hear.

For Nolan movies at least isn’t it also connected to the fact he never does overdubs and always records vocal performances live, same time as video with no overdubs? I remember reading that somewhere (probably right here knowing my shoddy memory these days).
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The only time that should be an issue is if there’s a lot of background noise when recording the audio, but even then, in the majority of cases, you could boost the specific vocal frequencies to make them clearer.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Am I right in thinking Andor was thought of quite highly on here? I watched the first episode last night and it plodded along in an incredibly average way with very forgettable characters.

If it is decent, when does it start perking up?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!