The Star Wars thread - "Chewie, we're home."
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Awesome story poprock, that poster is one of few iconic memories I have of the prequels. Lucas was never going to meet my expectations of the prequels, but they should've been better than what we got.
    Things can only get better.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Noxy pissing in a gimp's mouth finally has some competition.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Amazing. Pop that poster was the thing that got me excited for TPM, so from the bottom of my heart, fuck you pal!
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • 1. Noxy's Ants
    2. The PopRo Menance
    3. Pissgimp
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Who was it that had the regular street parking fiasco?
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Skerret wrote:
    from the bottom of my heart, fuck you pal!

Totally accepted. I’ll take that on the chin.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Nah it's alright, it's not your fault. It's George, fatty iguana neck George.
  • Yeah, but it’s the (A New) Hope that gets you.

Anyway, I’m still angry at Lucas for ruining Indiana Jones as well.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    On the subject of tales does anyone have a collated copy of the Noxy ant saga?
  • poprock wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Phantom Menace came with a huge weight of expectation, though.

Is it time for my Star Wars story? It might be time for my Star Wars story. I hope I haven’t already told it around here.

In ’98 I took a break from art school and went to America to do an internship with a really cool design co-operative. Total dream gig. I got to work with local musicians and artists (like Miranda July and Quasi) as well as some amazing corporate clients like Nike, MTV, and Lucasfilm. Yes, Lucasfilm, in ’98. You can see where this is going.

One of the principal designers in the co-op had a secret project. He’d signed an NDA and wasn’t even allowed to tell us what he was working on, or who for. The project had a codename for filing purposes and that was it. But he just couldn’t keep it to himself. He started leaving bits and pieces around the studio ‘by accident’. A mocked-up letterhead design for George Lucas (featuring a shiny chrome spacecraft). A transparency of someone with a lightsaber against a greenscreen background. That sort of thing.

One evening, he sat a few of us down in the pub and spilled the beans. Said he was stuck and needed help. Working alone just wasn’t how we did things, and he needed the team. He admitted that he’d been to Skywalker Ranch and Lucas has shown him a rough cut of The Phantom Menace. His project was to design poster campaigns for the movie. Not THE movie poster, but the accompanying promo stuff. Posters you might see on bus shelters, billboards, as magazine ads, etc. He got a ton of beers in, told us the plot of the movie, and asked if we could all brainstorm for a couple of hours around the table and help him get a variety of ideas down, then back off and pretend we’d never worked on the project – he didn’t want to fuck things up by getting caught breaking the NDA.

You have to remember the context here. The whole world was excited about more Star Wars films. Nobody knew yet that it was going to be shit. Nobody. As Yoss said, the weight of expectation was huge.

I ended up scribbling a little boy with his shadow in the unmistakable shape of Darth Vader, with notes to the side that it should be in the desert, vaguely recognisable as the same place Skywalker was first seen in A New Hope, and as real a photo as possible, reportage style. Everyone around the table agreed it was cool, and nailed the plot in one go. It was torn out of my notebook and went on the pile of ‘maybes’.

I headed home to England a couple of weeks later and thought little more about it. But when the very first teaser posters arrived in UK cinemas, months later, there was my idea. And it became THE poster. It’s the one everyone remembers.

Shame the film was shit. Shame the following two were even more shit. Shame shame shame.

But fuck it, the Simpsons even parodied my poster concept. Career high point, right there. Doubt I’m ever going to top that.

SimpsonWarsEpisodeIWallpaper1024.jpg

Holy fucking fuck.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I googled the poster to refresh my memory:

StarWarsEpisodeITeaser.jpg

It's funny how these things never look as good as you remember, innit?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    No wonder the sword fights aren't as impressive in the of trilogy. Darth Wade-r
  • That story. Nice.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Nice one Poprock. Though agree with Skez that you set expectations high with that concept.

Regarding the Han Solo film... why? (Apart from Disney investors)
  • Ahhh Poprock, a "genuine" cool story bro.
  • Fuck me, that poster is easily one of the best things about the entire prequel trilogy. A glimpse at what might have been......brilliant concept,well done that man.  There was no 4th Indy film. What Lucas did to Indy was unforgivable.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Piprock you a baller lad <3
  • Wow, I loved that poster. Can still remember being in a cinema and seeing that poster months before the film came out and for the first time greeting really excited about Phantom Menace. That poster really raised my expectations. So, yeah, great job poprock but also fuck you man for setting unmet expectations. But mostly great job, that is one cool story.
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • That is probably the coolest thing I have ever heard.

Poprock, that is genuinely one of my favourite Star Wars images and probably the single best thing about the prequels.

I prefer the one without the building in it though. I actually feel pretty strongly about that.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • Just read your story to Mrs Prime, Poprock.

Her response of "holy shit!" with a broad smile, pretty much the same reaction I had when I read it earlier.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • I like the idea that Howard takes inspiration from arrested development and narrates the whole movie.

Young Han: the falcon is the fastest ship in the galaxy!

Howard: it wasn't

Young han: it made the kessel run in less than 12 parsecs

Howard: it hadn't
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I googled the poster to refresh my memory:

StarWarsEpisodeITeaser.jpg

It's funny how these things never look as good as you remember, innit?

Girth vader.

• Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Scarlett Johanakin
  • poprock wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    Need to meet Poprock at some point. Stop hiding in Glasgow, meet the losers!

I’m not hiding. You’re all hiding.

(Still gutted I missed Aussiestock by a bawhair, but it was worth it. I mean, I got all engaged an’ stuff.)

Weak excuse that.
  • Great story though. I loved that poster too, pretty much the image that comes to mind when I think of the movie.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Seems the Solo debacle was indeed one over tone and lord and miller refusing to do reshoots.

“Ever since filming began back in February, Lord and Miller began steering the Han Solo movie more into the genre of laughs than space fantasy. Lucasfilm and producer Kennedy believed Lord and Miller were hired to add a comedic touch [to a space fantasy], while Lord and Miller believed they were hired to make a comedy.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'd rather see the dumb Han solo comedy. We're talking a world with Chewbacca and Jabba the Hutt existing.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    And the little rat thing
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    And the little rat thing, indeed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!