Elite: Dangerous
  • Ask for permission:
    A+< dpad
    RB to CONTACTS
    select the station and ask permission

Approach the indicated docking pad - use the crosshair sensor next to your main one if you can't see it to find it. 

Go slowly. 
    Lower your landing gear B+Down dpad
    Use your right stick to maneuver in. When you get really close the sensor screen changes to a landing pad with a direction indicator. Bring your ship to a stop on the target facing the correct direction and you are done. 

Handy hint:
    The direction you need to face on the pad is always facing the low story control tower, with the office lights on.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • pantyfire wrote:
    You get inter systems conflicts or civil wars in a system.  You also get flagged as you are flying about and asked to follow people and drop out of warp and have a chat etc... It definitely feels alive. There's loads of things buzzing about and 'unknown' radio sources to go and have look at.

Hmm yeah that sounds more like it. Did I miss it being £30? It's £35.99 now, do you think it will be on sale again soon?
  • I think it was on sale for PC at £30.
    Xbox is £25 as the moment. 

I dunno what the prices are historically but i can't see them lowering the price again or the kickstarter backers would probably go ape. Didn't they pay in the region of £60?
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Yeh sussed docking.

Bought it but no idea what to do now. I'll have a proper bash tomorrow.
  • Dick around for a couple of hours. Make loads of bad decisions then delete and restart. It'll go much smoother. 

Go back to the main menu, then go options and select delete save. I think.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    What are the consequences for blowing up?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    You have to pay insurance and you get your ship back.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    You lose your cargo but the ship is free. So not much.

How are you finding it?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    You have to pay insurance and you get your ship back.

How much is the insurance? I take it that only cones into effect once you buy a new ship or upgrade your starter?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I upgraded my starter ship with a scanner, and some new lasers and it cost 4000. I had the option of of taking the original without upgrades for free.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    You lose your cargo but the ship is free. So not much.

How are you finding it?

Did the tutorials and nearly deleted it.

Then I bought it.

That's it so far.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Why did you nearly delete it? Were you flummoxed?
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I was perplexed and flummoxed at how a game could have such a bad tutorial. In fact im not even going to call it that. Its a series of unexplained instructions that instruct you of nothing. It's a guesstorial.
  • You watch the video, you look at the control layout, you play the tutorial. It's not rocket science, no, wait..
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • I think I've enjoyed this so much because it's so bewildering when you first load it up. 
    I've fumbled along and worked everything out mostly for myself and it feels like I've achieved something rather than being lead by the noise for a hour by the normal tutorials. 

But that's because i really wanted to figure it out. Most will just go WTF and put it down. Frantic is nearly most.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Nah I'm pootling through.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Frantic will love it when it clicks. I had trouble even lining my ship up with my destination until I clocked the little display on the dash. Then I had trouble even though I was looking at the little display on the dash as it wasn't pointing me towards my destination. It was pointing me in the complete opposite direction, which is indicated by the circle being hollow instead of full.

Loads to learn but once you do it's a great feeling, zipping about in no time when before you'd have squandered 20 mins overshooting the station you're aiming for and coming out of hyperdrive in the arse end of space.

The combat is rewarding too, only shot down two ships but the satisfaction gained is on a par with beating a Souls boss, real fist pumping stuff.
  • FranticPea wrote:
    Video?

There's links to YT vids in the tutorials.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    I remember spending a looong time trying to get the pad controls into something coherent. Even finding a simple online pic of exactly what the various control schemes looked like was basically impossible. Diggin about on forum posts gave some help but perhaps it's simpler now. 

Got it to the point where I was cleanly flying, docking, supercruising and whatnot but thought the starting ship would just get blown away in bounty missions. Seems that may not be the case so I'll try a restart and see if I can go hunting. 
    I liked just pootling off into the unknown and investigating unknowns/finding starmaps to sell.
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Webbins wrote:
    FranticPea wrote:
    Video?

There's links to YT vids in the tutorials.

Yeh. Found them but it just loads up borked. Like the bulletin boards. I'll watch some vids on YT this weekend if I have a spare minute.

I'm not sure a Naval ship would allow a rookie like me get close enough to wave at him mind....

mIpFQnb.jpg
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Firing your lasers while attempting to dock, when you ment to apply reverse thrust.

No amount of "I'm sorry, I didn't mean it!" is going to help you now.
  • Just got blattered by space pirates. I need to earn some cash.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I'm going smuggler. I've kitted myself out with double heat sinks, and I'm going to practice silent running so I can sneak into docks unscanned
  • That's the route I want to go, I've only got 6 grand though.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    So had a quick crack again. Same nonsense. 

Trying to find the controls managed to shoot off ma useless starter hardpoints inside Armstrong Station so that cost me 100 quid. Never mind. 

Managed to find a bounty in the nearby Freng System. Bonza, 90k, ne skill pre-reqs. I'l av it!

managed to get over there sharply enough but then found that the Freng system consists of about 3 station, 4/5 resource collection area and godknows what else. Non idea where this dude is, no clear indication of how to find him. Went to a resource point just to see what they're like and pretty quickly got attacked by some eejit called Andy. He was gubbins as was I so we did the silly target chasing thing for a while (he got my shields down and disabled me a couple of times but I managed to get away before he could finish me off.. my pokey starting lasers didn't seem to cause him too much trouble) I eventually  gave up and just frameshifted to the nearest port. The bounty didn't seem to be there either and there was no clues to where he was... 

I might try to give it another crack in a bit but it is a bit impenetrable in most everything it does. I also seem to have a permanent drift thing going on with the left stick. Tried increasing the deadzone but that hasn't fixed it quite yet. Doesn't seem to appear on any other games mind... Might just try resetting the controls to default again and starting from scratch.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I would imagine bounty hunting is not recommended until later in the game when you've got a decent ship and weapons. Trading and smuggling seems like the natural start point for me.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Bounty Hunting is the easy way to begin as long as you go for missions with relatively low bounties, the higher ones are too difficult. You'll get the reward for the mission and the individual bounties. A lot of wanted ships don't even have shields. Just scan them first and if they look too hard, run away.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    But to scan ships you gotta get near and target them right? How do I find one target in a massive multi point system? Various stations, waypoints, resource nodes.. empty planets? Are you supposed to just hop about an dget lucky? Seems a bit daft.

The bounty was written up as open to any old hunk o' junk btw.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Most of the early bounties don't ask for specific targets, only pirates in general. The named ones are generally pretty tough and if you accept them and go to the recommended system you'll usually find them. You don't want to do that on your own though.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!