DOTY Award?
  • Not much to choose from for me, so maybe Fez.

The rotating mechanic didn't really have the depth and it seemed like they stopped bothering with it half way through and decided to stick a load of controller input puzzles in to compensate. It felt like a waste of time at that point.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    How aren't they random? I've restarted missions and got different layouts and enemies.
    I see what you mean. The country you're fighting in and the style of map are selected randomly. But the maps themselves are build by hand. So you'll see the same bar/petrol station/highway repeated in different countries.
  • Should have left it as a pipe dream eh Tiger?
    Definitely.

I thought it was going to be like the Megadrive games but a touch shinier. Instead, it just had turgid level design and nothing to make me love it whatsoever *sob*.
  • I'm not sure how anyone can be disappointed by NSMB 2. It does exactly what it set out to do and does it well.

I'm not sure what you expected of it.

It's definitely shortlisted for GOTY for me.
  • New Mario 2

I quietly lol to myself at this one.

Who ever would've thought an updated nes game would be any good in the first place?

Some people, evidently.
    Exactly.

For me it was precisely what I wanted, what I expected, and what I got.

I've a feeling ZombiU might be a Red Steel style crushing disappointment.
  • Should have left it as a pipe dream eh Tiger?
    Definitely. I thought it was going to be like the Megadrive games but a touch shinier. Instead, it just had turgid level design and nothing to make me love it whatsoever *sob*.

The whole future/past dynamic ruined the flow of the levels and made every level look the same.

Yeah I was expecting the same as yourself, as it was it looks worse than Sonic 3/Knuckles.
  • WorKid wrote:
    I'm not sure how anyone can be disappointed by NSMB 2. It does exactly what it set out to do and does it well.

Well, it might be because I didn't bother reading up much on it, just saw a little video from E3, and expected a Mario game that played well. If I had done my reading and noted that it was actually set out to be just an updated NES game that doesn't improve on the somewhat average NSMB (DS), then I probably wouldn't have been disappointed.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • For me there are two games this year. One of which is highly contentious and already mentioned, the other prossibly not that well known but is definitely the biggest waste of a franchise ever. 

Runner Up - X-Com

Same reasons as Mod, I am a vet of the old series, of which the first game was undeniably the best, the rest of the series could never match it for whatever reason.

This game came out of nowhere, I only heard about it weeks before launch and got super stoked. Devs were talking about being faithful to the original game, but trying to put their own spin on it. Screenshots surfaced and videos showing that yes, indeed, turn based squad based tactical combat was indeed going to make a return to games.

A good turn based strategy game may have emerged, but it falls so far short of the original in it's ambition and scope and it's almost patronisingly watered down combat, research, engineering and base building systems that I couldn't forgive it. Biggest disappointment of the year based solely on the fact that it was 18 years in the making and that I have just seen Mechwarrior Online, another old classic, thoroughly brought up to date while managing to retain it's core depth and feature set. 

DISAPPOINTMENT OF THE DECADE (CALLING IT ALREADY) - Streetfighter x Tekken

Without doubt, the coming together of the two biggest fighting game franchises of all time should have produced fighting game Jesus and reunited both sets of fans and lead us all to the promised land.

However it quickly became apparent that much had been done on the cheap, animations and even character models were recycled almost wholesale from SF4 characters not appearing in SFxTekken and were used to produce in part the Tekken side of the roster. This was more of an annoyance than a true failing, however, taken collectively it was many small things that eventually combined and killed the game for probably 95% of the people who brought it at launch.

Then the devs started listening to the majority opinion coming through 'fan' feedback. They changed the netcode to a different type of netcode to fix an issue with SFX synching, in doing so they fixed the SFX but the new netcode was pants compared to the old when it came to reducing latency and producing lag free matches.

The final nail in the coffin for most players came about when systems that were put in place to help new players compete, completely negated the offensive capabilities of half the cast by introducing auto block and auto throw breaking items to the game. Subsequent paid for DLC then introduced stronger, better items for you to buy to increase the advantage. At which point most of the core playerbase who would have been in it for the long haul finally abandoned the game as it became clear that rather than build a potentially sustainable franchise, Capcom were going to instead treat their fans like idiots and milk the entire thing for all it was worth with a ton of these dlc assist items, a load of paid for costume changes, and an additional set of dlc characters.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Also a good shout. Definitely the most disappointing demo of the year if nothing else.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Wait. Gav just nailed it. I rescind my previous comments.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    B&B forum.  :p
  • Max Payne 3.  Not that I was really looking forward to it, but I was interested enough to borrow it from a friend.  I gave it back after 90 minutes of the campaign.  Sub-Headhunter gunplay and bullet sponge craniums = no thanks.
  • Yeahh sfxt, sooooo bad online it was ridiculous.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    bf3 and sfxt are great you badgers!

the only way bf3 could be this year is all the new maps, and they make a good game excellent!
    sfxt i only play same room mp but when i did play online (got 10 wins in a row online trophy) it were as expected wth no hint of lag.

my disapointment of the year.......SLEEPING DOGS.
    boring a to b win an easy fight return to a repeat.
    no variety and easy to do well........everything........ repetitive, and all the vehicles have the same turn on a sixpence handling.
    runner up jsr.........shit hd reboot of a shit game.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • The world is a better place because Jet Set Radio exists.
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    BF3 wins biggest disappointment last, this, next and every other year until the sun goes super nova and its shame is finally erased from the galaxy.
  • Whoa Davie... Just no, man.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    BF3 wins biggest disappointment last, this, next and every other year until the sun goes super nova and its shame is finally erased from the galaxy.

for you.
    i suspect its just shit on 360, im loving it on ps3.
    step lad cant even connect on 360 and blames his sisters for hogging facebook and losing connections.

12 days to new maps.......WOOP WOOP.

• daviedigi wrote:
    Mod74 wrote:
    for you. i suspect its just shit on 360, im loving it on ps3. step lad cant even connect on 360 and blames his sisters for hogging facebook and losing connections. 12 days to new maps.......WOOP WOOP.

Isn't that the point of this thread?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    The world is a better place because Jet Set Radio exists.
    Whoa Davie... Just no, man.

i cant see anything to like in it no more, i used to love it too.
    maybe im just shit at it now!

waste of 8 quid.

• Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    daviedigi wrote:
    Mod74 wrote:
    for you. i suspect its just shit on 360, im loving it on ps3. step lad cant even connect on 360 and blames his sisters for hogging facebook and losing connections. 12 days to new maps.......WOOP WOOP.
    Isn't that the point of this thread?

as stated though bf3 were last year.
    none of the 360 crowd have gone premium or played the new maps from this year, VOID!
    ;)

• Should playing a game like as in actually owning it be a requisite of having a valid opinion on this?
  • Absolutely.

Well, having played the finish code in some form at least, rental or at a friends house etc.

Biggest D for me is, unm, dunno. Everything I've played has been fine. Darksiders 2 at a push, but I had no expectations, just felt it ended abruptly and without much of the drama it promised.
  • >8hrs, or so I've heard....
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Nick wrote:
    Should playing a game like as in actually owning it be a requisite of having a valid opinion on this?
    I would have said yes, but as far as I know Roujin hasn't played the new XCOM but looking at his reasoning in the above post, he doesn't have to have played it to be dissapointed by it. So his opinion is valid. In my opinion.
  • Disappointment is directly proportionate to expectation. If you went in to a game hoping it was going to be something else you're bound to be gutted. Shame people miss out on good experiences because of that is my point.

There's a flip side of course, long standing series Tekken I wanted to get into and believe the hype that it might be the one to coax me in. After a week of hell trying to get it - it's utterly inaccessible - it still leaves me completely cold. Good to watch but to play it's a dog.
  • Opinions have been disappointing this year, in my opinion. And yes, I have gone through over 8 hours of opinions.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The integrity of games journalism is the biggest disappointment of the year xox

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!