A lot of my friends got fired and I feel guilty that I didnt - thread
  • As a revenue generating arm of the business, they have nothing really to lose by keeping me on. I either pay for myself, or I dont.

But you're right, I need to get onto my resume, get it sharp and perhaps get it in front of the right people.

We had a rally call yesterday where the lay offs were discussed.

It was span like this,

"we've done deep cuts today so we we wont have to do them again anytime soon"

Or something.

Eugh.
  • So after some kind words and advice last night.

BOMBSHELL. I'm in a redundancy pool now.
  • So after some kind words and advice last night. BOMBSHELL. I'm in a redundancy pool now.

Fucking hell. Sorry mate.
  • Damn Live.
    Hope it goes ok and you come out unscathed.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Seconded Live. I hope you're unaffected and good luck
  • Cheers guys. 
    Just have to wait and see really, this is the second year in a row now though so I will be seriously looking at moving somewhere else. 
    Excuses like "it's a quiet time of year" and "we are in a recession" don't cut it anymore, this has always been a quiet time of year and this is year 4 of the recession. They have basically failed to plan for a couple of quiet months.
  • Sooo, looks like my role is at risk of redundancy rather than just being in a redundancy pool. In other words "Merry Job centre Christmas fuck bag"
  • They have basically failed to plan for a couple of quiet months.

An all to common occurrence. Sorry to hear that, more time to make some loops.
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • Sooo, looks like my role is at risk of redundancy rather than just being in a redundancy pool. In other words "Merry Job centre Christmas fuck bag"

Damn dude. Been there more times than I care to remember. Not pleasant. I have a feeling I could be there again in the near future. We don't seem to be doing very well in regards to money and a massive project that was supposed to be due this month.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • That is what happened with us, 3 projects were on the cards, even one would have prevented redundancies but they all got pulled.

Cheers for the kind words peoples. The work prospects look a lot better than they were last time I was unemployed (20009/2010 iirc).
  • Grammar nazi first , human being second.
    Lucky your so cute gonz!
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • I'm on it Gonzo. Linkedin and CV updated, showreel uploading as I type, recruitment sites book marked.
  • Grammar nazi first , human being second. Lucky your so cute gonz!
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH
  • And revel checked his grammar trap...

And there was a slightly scared Jonb.

But it was fresh....
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Their, they're Jon, it could be worse.
  • Pm your LinkedIn profile. I have contacts in different places mate.
  • And revel checked his grammar trap... And there was a slightly scared Jonb. But it was fresh....
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH
  • The company I've been at for the last 4 1/2 years just nixed about 250 jobs. Including mine, been unemployed for the last 2 weeks, the company itself has been pretty cool and is trying to sort some reverse recruitment process. Only heard from one company so far, in Adelaide... Phone Interview tonight, so fingers crossed they pay enough to cover a tiny flat out there and a London mortgage. Not massively hopeful though!
    "In the long run, if you play solid, you'll be a more solid player." Aris Bakhthanians
  • Cheers man, good luck to all the unfortunates who are posting in here. 

Oh and Google, guilt is natural but at the end of the day it's just business. There are a number of folks left at my company fulfilling a role I would have done very well, folks who have been there a quarter of the time I have. Folks who are probably on ten grand less and are a cheaper option at times like these! I don't feel any ill will towards them though, not their fault, just like it's not yours either.
    "In the long run, if you play solid, you'll be a more solid player." Aris Bakhthanians
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Good luck for everyone that's gonna look for a job. I've give up to find a proper one (3d artist related, just not gonna happen) and try and use my time to learn some new skills.

Quite happy I got a full contract in the first half of this year. Most people that don't have one are getting fired atm, says quite something as we're the biggest shop of the branch in The Netherlands, second or third in Europe. People just don't buy that much anymore, usually it's much busier this time of the year.

@Dive, post a link to your showreel when it's upped, curious!
  • Will linky in a mo Nina.

Just a thought (@google or mods), it might be nice if this became a redundancy general thread in title too. Also might be better in the Forum Talk section as some talk can be sensitive to outside of forum faces.
  • Cool. Thanks.
  • Might be an idea, I've got my showreel up on Vimeo too but it's password protected as some of the studios  get the arse if their stuff gets posted up for all to see. If we can get this thread for forum eyes only I can stick the link up with the password as well.
  • O.k.
    Here is a link to my showreel, I plan on doing a fancy pants version over the xmas break but just got this together to start the ball rolling.
    Showreel 
    password: benlathwell (not too fussed about mine, just enough to stop numpties from Nestle etc finding it randomly)

LinkedIn
  • Wicked stuff man, hope you find something soon! Be sure to post the fancy pants version up here too. I'll stick the link to mine here.
    Showreel

If anyone fancies it just PM me and I'll give you the password.

Also LinkedIn
  • Cheers dude.
    Showreels are always hard, all I see in mine is late nights in the office and epic stress.
  • Here be mine Showreel

Whats your password Pez?
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • PM'd mate, beautiful stuff in yours, what camera do you use? I am trying to pick up a good starter DLSR for not a huge amount of money.... As I got the job in Adelaide! So once my Oz passport is renewed I'll be flying out next week to (hopefully) be working on the new Wolverine movie. BBQ for Christmas.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!