A lot of my friends got fired and I feel guilty that I didnt - thread
  • All the best live. And Pez of course who I'll miss.
  • Cheers Pez. Its a Canon t3i
    Your descriptions were very insightful. Imagine if those directors knew what they were doing during pre-production. Probably save a few million in post production costs!
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • So I got made redundant. They have made my role redundant rather than just myself.

It leaves the design team as 2 senior artists whereas it used to be 2 Seniors, 2 Juniors and a Technical Lead.
    Work is coming in, we have been busy for the past fortnight and every one of us is currently on a project, so essentially the company is fucked. They have the work but can't make money out of it.

The pressure is on a bit but it is better I leave now than be forced to work unpaid overtime and get shafted when the company folds.

Interview at a new place tomorrow, so fingers crossed.
  • Oh man that really sucks.
    Good luck in your interview tomorrow dive.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Good luck Live, sorry to hear that man. Definitely seems to be going round the industry at the minute, places having to low ball prices to clients just to get the work but then haven't enough to cover the staff. Get this: my old work rang me up last week offering me a similar role in January on a 6 month contract! Utter utter bullshit. It would mean my redundancy has in fact saved them zero pounds and has just been a massive amount of heart ache and stress for nothing, apart from me losing my full time status which you get for working there for 4 years freelance. I politely told them no and I fly out to Adelaide on Saturday night for 5 months work there.
    "In the long run, if you play solid, you'll be a more solid player." Aris Bakhthanians
  • Cheers guys.

It's a joke isn't it Pez. My place will likely be ringing around March/April if they still exist, it will cost them to get me back.
    Good luck in Adelaide though, glad you found something quick.
  • I've just been given some news at work. Bunch of shite.
    Not redundancy thankfully.

Will be back to rant later, cycling home so a chance time get some of the anger out at least.
  • Good luck Live. That sucks.
  • Yeah found it quick but it was the ONLY place to contact me (apart from my old work a couple of weeks later). There was such a cull of my department that all the other companies were full up with my old colleagues, getting in there quicker because they had shorter redundancy periods! But definitely make them pay man, the swine.
    "In the long run, if you play solid, you'll be a more solid player." Aris Bakhthanians
  • Think I just saw the job you turned down on linked in. So that will be costing them in agency fees, top work there.
  • Slowly but surely, slowly but surely. ;)
  • Oh yeah, where was I.

Firstly, yes, I'm grateful to still have a job.

At work a bunch of us have been working on a project. 
    They've been worried about people leaving so put in place a retention package, a cash amount every year, with by far the majority at the end of the three years.

So they double our notice periods and obviously the cash incentive keeps people there. I've turned down job offers because of the package. The extended notice period makes you very difficult to move on.

Then today they say they're moving the project work to "BAU", closing down the cost centres, oh and yeah, the money isn't happening. 

So the promise of money kept us there when they needed us. Now they've decided they aren't that bothered, they've pulled the cash.

They've said it was always "non contractual". Fuck that. 

They can't do they (can they?). I'm ringing ACAS in the morning for some advice. I'm also dusting off my CV. 

I'm seriously pissed off about this.  It's not so much about the money (although it would have been nice, it wasn't a huge amount), it's the way they're treating us that's annoying me so much. They've got what they wanted from the retention package (people stayed, people worked hard and committed), and now it's nearly time to pay, they're pulling a fast one.

They've basically said we're lucky they're not sacking people. At least that would be honest. 

Well, from now on I'm sticking to my side of the contract. No unpaid overtime. No favours, no flexibility, nothing "non contractual".
  • That sucks man, I would read and re-read your contract, both for this cash pool thing and to establish what exactly they can ask of you. "any extra services the company require" and "additional hours to meet business needs" are pretty common in contracts.
    They've basically said we're lucky they're not sacking people. At least that would be honest.
    This exactly. I prefer working in a light, friendly environment but I would rather work in a cold environment than be lied too.

Turns out after I left yesterday the rest of my team not being let go called a meeting with the manager.
    They are pretty much running down the visual side of the company and focussing on software sale. Fine, it's their company but in the past 3 years I have been here the software development dept has continually made a loss while the Visual dept has subsidised it.

They are dissolving the 'bread and butter' dept to focus on a loss leading dept!!! Why not have both?

I think I'm in for a rough couple of months before I find something but mid to long term I am much better off out of it.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Cherry_Pez wrote:
    As I got the job in Adelaide!...

WOW... Only just seen this post... Congrats!
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Lol, that interview didn't go well.
    The role was barely related to what I do, not sure why they invited me for an interview. Ho hum.
  • Ah man.
    Sorry dude. I hope you manage to find more opportunities soon.
  • Man that sucks Workid, like Live said, check and see if there's anything in the paperwork you can hold them to. Other than that I agree, bare minimum effort on your part and maybe try and find somewhere less poisonous. 

Cheers Ricky, flight leaves tomorrow night at 10, still sinking in really. Me and the Mrs have just had our Christmas Day, about to collapse in front of Elf and sleep it off :) 

Sorry the interview didn't go well Live, all the best for finding something pronto.
  • I raised my grievance with management today. More or less I got told to fuck off.

I also rang ACAS.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Cherry_Pez wrote:
    As I got the job in Adelaide!...
    WOW... Only just seen this post... Congrats!
    I only know of the Adelaide we have over here.  Is there a UK variant?
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Cheers Gonzo. I do indeed have both them things.

On one hand, I'm pretty pissed off about it, but also worried about shitting in my own nest.
  • they sound totally arrogant that you have it in writing yet still refuse to pay it. You'll be fighting employment lawyers off witha shitty stick Mate once you decide to claim on this.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Cheers chaps. A bit of rabble rousing when I get back on Monday I think. Quite a few of us in the same boat.
  • If anyone is interested by the way, here's a link to the place I got my redundancy insurance through.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!