The Whisky thread
  • It's pretentious to keep the bottle tubes and boxes? You mean after you finish the bottle?

I keep 'em until I finish the bottle, but not otherwise. The only empty containers I've got are some Bruichladdich ones, which I kept because I love the design of them.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Got rid of the tubes today even though I've still to finish the bottles. The faff of taking it out etc. Don't know - all of a sudden it felt silly.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I've also kept all the tubes ever, saw them all in the loft last week.  They need to go really.
  • Nothing wrong with a bit of whisky based pretentiousness though.  I added underlights to my cabinets back in the days when they were well stocked.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Excellent.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Think it's a spill over from my general de-cluttering of games and DVDs that I've been doing lately.
  • Similarly to Goober, I've been making my way through this since Christmas.

kilob.non19.jpg
    Hope I get a new bottle of something for my upcoming birthday as it's gone down a treat.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    That's good to hear. The Loch gorm is delicious but not something I'm going to stump up for regularly so something similar but a bit gentler on the wallet would be great.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Whisky of the year yet it's hardly started yet
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Genuinely don't know anything about whisky but I like it.
  • That's a fib.  You know that Kilchoman was whisky of the year for 2017 for starters.
  • Genuinely don't know anything about whisky but I like it.

That one is a belter.
  • 17015656_10212650494876364_2905397848254918070_o.jpg?oh=062fd2eab72fba707aba9cb597025768&oe=59739B51

My wife bought me this when she came back from her trip Duty free.

She didn't realise it wasn't the JAmesons I normally have.

I feared the worst but it's actually rather drinkable.
    The Forum Herald™
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Just picked up a bottle of lagavulin 16 from Tesco for £28 on a reduced to clear deal. Possibly only a deal at my local but it didn't show up as a price comparison saving on the bill so there might be a similar deal out there in other supermarkets.
  • Cheers for the heads up, gonna take a look on my way home.  Not had a bottle of that for nearly 6 months now.
  • Tried Lagavulin 16 ... love it.

Peaty earth and with that slight TCP smell

Anybody rate laphroaig over lagavulin?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Nah. I like Laphroaig but Lagavulin is the rolls Royce of Islay's for me.
  • Whisky festival last night was definitely back on form. It was relatively quiet compared to last time I went, meaning you could easily access the stands without much waiting (apart from the odd bellend that seemed to want to share his life story with the exhibitor).

The glenlivet stand had some quality stuff out, including Chevas Regal 18, Arbelour 16, all the Nadurras, all the Glenlivets, and for a black token (included as part of the admission):

the_glenlivet_25_year_old.jpg
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Decided not to go this year after increased disappointment over the last few. Glad to hear it's improved though - i think the wider choice of access options will have helped. I was going to do the 2hr taster pass but couldn't in the end.
  • Yeah I just did the 2 hour challenge. Was well worth £15.

Last time I went they seemed to 'token' anything over 12yo, and didn't give you any tokens on entry, this year the non-token stuff was decent, a really good range on offer, token stuff was even better and you got two tokens on entry.
  • Doing my 4 by 4 evening tonight, on the Brooklyn Lagers + Woodford Reserve.  WR is £25 in Sainsbury's at the moment, I only buy bourbon now and then but I tend not to experiment these days as I enjoy the Woodford so much.
  • Nice. JD single barrell was £28 on Amazon yesterday. I'm clearing my Gentleman Jack in preparation for it. Don't really do bourbon much but the single barrell is good stuff.
  • I've only had one bottle but the single barrel is probably neck and neck with Woodford.  Really enjoyed it.  The Stagg Jr. I treated myself to a couple of years back is the only bourbon I've tasted that I prefer.  Was the most I've ever spent on whisky (you could buy a single barrel and two WR's for what I paid), but I'd recommend it.
  • I've never gotten that into bourbons. Been drinking JD in Old Fashioned's and Sours -is there a good alternative? What's the best bourbon for mixing before they become too good for it?

• In my opinion if you're mixing then JD is plenty good enough, but I try not to go over £20ish if I'm adding anything (I've got around 15 bottles of rum, but won't go pricier than Kraken with coke - I do love Kraken & coke though).  The only thing I tend to add to whisky is ginger wine, and I only get the urge for that once or twice a year.  Might as well put Tesco Value scotch in that though, I'm usually a mess shortly after starting.
  • P'raps now's the time to experiment though - Woodford Reserve is £25 in Sainsbo's & on Prime :)
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Not a bourbon, but if you can pick up a bottle of haig clubman for £15 (Tesco sometimes do deals) it's actually a really good whisky for cocktails. Not worth the £25 rrp though.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    In my opinion if you're mixing then JD is plenty good enough, but I try not to go over £20ish if I'm adding anything (I've got around 15 bottles of rum, but won't go pricier than Kraken with coke - I do love Kraken & coke though).  The only thing I tend to add to whisky is ginger wine, and I only get the urge for that once or twice a year.  Might as well put Tesco Value scotch in that though, I'm usually a mess shortly after starting.

Ginger ale, lemon and bitters (maybe a tiny bit of honey too) is a great refreshing whisky cocktail.
  • Will try, I do like a whisky and ginger ale now and then, but I tend to reach for a brandy/King's Ginger double whammy with that particular mixer (dry).  I think it's called a South African Ginger Square.
  • I've been working my way through a bottle of Red Leg spiced rum.  Not bad, the vanilla can taste a bit enforced like they've just wanged in a load of essence, but it's probably good for mixing.  Can be had for 15 notes when on offer.

I've a number of bourbons in the cupboard; Makers Mark, Knob Creek, Woodford, Bulleit, Wild Turkey.  I can't help gravitate towards Jim Beam white label for a Friday's Forza, cheap, cheerful and I can sling it down without feeling too guilty for not giving it my full attention.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!