ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I've never really loved bourbon, thigh have enjoyed the odd bottle here and there. Feel in love with rye a couple of years back though, seems the malts are for home and I'm happier with a rye when I'm out

In which case rittenhouse, monkey shoulder and dickel are well worth a look
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Ooh yeah I have a Monkey Shoulder too, king of the blends.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Grabbed a bottle of the Bulleit Rye today.  Never tried it before but if it's as good as their bourbon I'm sound.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    In my opinion if you're mixing then JD is plenty good enough, but I try not to go over £20ish if I'm adding anything (I've got around 15 bottles of rum, but won't go pricier than Kraken with coke - I do love Kraken & coke though).  The only thing I tend to add to whisky is ginger wine, and I only get the urge for that once or twice a year.  Might as well put Tesco Value scotch in that though, I'm usually a mess shortly after starting.

Ginger ale, lemon and bitters (maybe a tiny bit of honey too) is a great refreshing whisky cocktail.

I'll give that a go tonight. I've also got 1/3 of a bottle of Haig left too that I've been wondering what to do with, the clatty shite that it is.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Webbins wrote:
    Grabbed a bottle of the Bulleit Rye today.  Never tried it before but if it's as good as their bourbon I'm sound.

Bulleit is one if the bourbons I've enjoyed, seen the rye is shops but never bars so haven't picked one up

Looking forward to your opinion
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Is the rye the one with the green label?
  • Yes.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    In my opinion if you're mixing then JD is plenty good enough, .

Ginger ale, lemon and bitters (maybe a tiny bit of honey too) is a great refreshing whisky cocktail.

I'll give that a go tonight. I've also got 1/3 of a bottle of Haig left too that I've been wondering what to do with, the clatty shite that it is.

Rember plenty of ice too.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Webbins wrote:
    Yes.

Ta, I've been meaning to pick up a rye whisky so will also be interested in your thoughts.
  • Reviews are good on Whisky Exchange and Master of Malt.  I should get around to a snifter mid FNF.
  • It's Friday hmm Saturday morning and I've decided to knock back a bottle of Russian Standard (English tap water).
    A 70cl bottle doesn't really cut it on the rocks with a few games of battlefield 1 and an  11pm home delivered kebab with salad and chilli sauce.
    Hard to believe I've just knocked back £14 of high street booze and I'm off to bed with a full stomach.

PS. I have sworn/cursed at every player including my own team for their lack of enthusiasm at attempting to win the match, I wish this was CoD in the old days when you could slate the entire lobby.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    I've never really loved bourbon, thigh have enjoyed the odd bottle here and there. Feel in love with rye a couple of years back though, seems the malts are for home and I'm happier with a rye when I'm out In which case rittenhouse, monkey shoulder and dickel are well worth a look

Don't like it either. However I like Gentleman Jack and Heaven Hill.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Bought a bottle of The Ileach today - a cask strength (58%) peated islay from an unknown distillery. It's fucking phenomenal - one of the best I've had recently and only £45.
  • Just bought a litre of Glenfarclas 105 (their cask strength one) off of Amazon for £45! Bargain.
  • Good stuff, I've recently finished the bottle I got from the ferry last time I went abroad.

Ardbeg is apparently on offer at Sainsbury's again, might have to swing by on the way to pick up the boy from nursery.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Holy balls, the Glenfarclas 105 is fantastic. Improved even more with a splash of water.
  • I've eyed that up a couple of times on Amazon but never plunged. I put it on the missus' watch list for last Christmas but she got me the Dalmore 15 instead, I ain't complaining.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    Holy balls, the Glenfarclas 105 is fantastic. Improved even more with a splash of water.

Yeah, it's really good. One of my favourites.
  • Nailed a bottle of Macallan single malt. Was ok.
  • Not whisky, but I've been drinking a lot of rum recently and just bought a bottle of Flor de Cana 5 which is absolutely gorgeous stuff. Neat, it's smooth as hell - haven't tried it mixed yet.

Any other recommendations for good rum?
  • I like Pusser's Overproof a lot.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Got a bottle of Glenfiddich for 20 euros in the supermarket here. It's tasty enough. It was either that or laphraoig for 20 as well. Not sure I like Islay though.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    Not whisky, but I've been drinking a lot of rum recently and just bought a bottle of Flor de Cana 5 which is absolutely gorgeous stuff. Neat, it's smooth as hell - haven't tried it mixed yet.

Is that the one we had at the whisky festival that time? I'd love to know what that was, I'd get a bottle for wor kid.
  • Gremill wrote:
    Not whisky, but I've been drinking a lot of rum recently and just bought a bottle of Flor de Cana 5 which is absolutely gorgeous stuff. Neat, it's smooth as hell - haven't tried it mixed yet.

Is that the one we had at the whisky festival that time? I'd love to know what that was, I'd get a bottle for wor kid.

No, it's not (the Flor de Cana is only £18 at Tesco atm too) but the one you are looking for is Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva:
    IMG_5282.jpg

About £40 - they've got a bottle in Rehills at the moment.
  • Brooks wrote:
    I like Pusser's Overproof a lot.

Wife is draining my Pussers 15yr as I type - look away now - with diet coke.  I can't stand it myself, tastes like someone dropped a handful of permanent marker pens in the barrel.  I'm on the Gran Anejo with a bit of dark chocolate.
  • Gran Anejo?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    That'll be a rum.
  • The 15-year isn't too great, no. Only the green label bastard for me. A drink made for hate.
  • I have to import the stuff from Germany, for whatever-the-fuck reason.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!