The London Food Raid
  • Yoshino fail. I mean its good but over prices compared to the innovation you get at hakasan or inamo. Please google inamo as a gamer it couldn't be more relevant!

Toshiba has a takeaway place on Shaftesbury avenue which is worth a go but the restaurant isn't that good and I've been 4 times.

What's tonkotsu?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Tonkotsu is a new place taking advantage of that Tonkotsu fad.

I am officially replacing Yoshino with Inamo.

THE FUTURE.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    The south bank centre food market (in between waterloo and south bank) is pretty good for a lunch time wander.
  • B told me that if you still plan on meeting us we should try and go to the Breakfast Club. Dunno what it is but I hear it is a thing.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Ok then
  • A breakfast thing
  • If you're going to a Breakfast Club Cafe then go for lunch, its really not worth it for dinner as there are much better places to go.
  • How about Breakfast?
  • You could but that would kind of ruin the novelty.
  • Maybe we're on about different things, this is second hand info I'm on, but I gathered that it was just a twee tea shop that also did fuck off breakfasts, there was no mention of all day stuff and I was told you had to get there early to avoid queues. Of course I could be totally wrong.
  • I once got a tray of chicken balls and rice and curry sauce at a stall in Camden it was so fresh and indie
  • Camden is as mainstream as Xfactor you got did
  • There are two breakfast clubs I k ow of and the one by hoxton square (near where reg will be) gets a thumbs up from me. Go for breaky but warning it will be rammed.

Strange note about that place. We were there having lunch with some colleagues and the table we sat at had a draw. It wasn't that obvious and I only noticed it after about 20 minutes.

I opened the draw and inside was a card. It read "if you have opened this draw then you are inquisitive. That is a good start. If you would like to see how date can take you then call me, Eleanor 0792....."

I had a girlfriend at the time but if I hadn't I would've called. Was interesting.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    So far then -

Meatliquor
    Inamo
    Tonkotsu
    Breakfast club
    Green Papaya

I have space for 1-2 more... What's of the minute?
  • Grubs man, grubs and dips.
  • I don't know London food as well as some of the other guys here but Bodeans always gets a shout from me.

Just don't pussy out and get something with rice, go for the full platter with ribs, pulled pork, burnt ends and sausage. Dem fries DEM FIRES!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Bodeans has made the list.
  • Is bodeans just a london thing though?

I'd throw gaucho in if you like meat and in particular steak. They are all good but the moorgate/Liverpool street one is a good photospot after dark.

Fifteen (Jamie Oliver) is on the other side of old street (not that far from where you are). I've been twice and really loved both times.
  • Yeah Bodeans is just London. Don't go to the Clapham one, I think it has new managers, the staff were shit and the food wasn't as good last time I went.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I've got space for one more. Don't think it can be too meaty as mrs reg was a vegetarian before she met me and although she'll eat meat this might sent her catatonic. Hence why I'm putting green papaya in the middle of the Raid.
  • Has she seen the Raid? it's all work, tell her she needs to be knifing and elbowing meat up 12 flights of stairs over three days with no break and when she's turned a fridge into a grenade then she can be vegetarian.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Basically the last meal will be the two of us versus a ninja in a meat locker.

The prize is salad
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Mangal shall seal the deal.

THE RAID IS LOCKED IN PREPARE FOR RAID
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    MEATLIQUOR
    INAMO
    TONKOTSU
    BODEANS
    GREEN PAPAYA
    BREAKFAST CLUB
    MANGAL OCAKBASI

Now can someone work out an itenerary of things to do around that?!? If on Sat night we are at Ally Pally, where's the best/closest of those to the venue for dinner?
  • Saturday MorninL: Breakfast Club
    Afternoot: Meatliqour
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Finally - if we are flying out at 6pm on the Monday, from Gatwick, which of those venues is nearest for us and transport back to the airport?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I see what you're doing there Tempy. Let us also go to Rough Trade in between.
  • Makin' plans. I'll go and look but probably not buy much.

Also forevermore shall post 12pm be known as 'afternoot'
  • Take your time at inamo as you will want to play with everything :) it's in soho so obviously there is shopping on Oxford st or check what's on at the soho theatre? You could venture to Hyde park if the wether is nice or pop into mr ripleys believe it or not (get a vouch online though) in Piccadilly Circus as its not far from soho. Pop into the John snow pub do a pint on the way if you have never been to a Sam smiths pub.

If you go To the hoxton square breakfast club then You are in a big bar area. Not masses to do around there but I I remember correctly you are near the animation/cartoon museum. Also Saturday and Sunday morning is the Columbia Road flower market.

I didn't realise that there were people who had never been to a B@1 before. It's a chain of cocktails in london. Comparatively cheap especially between 5-8 which is happy hours two for one. The vibe is a bit cheesy in so far as you will most likely her classic rock anthems but the staff are friendly and very knowledgeable. I only mention it as its good for a budget and there is one within 5-10 mins walk from a lot of the eateries on your list.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!