Uncharted
  • The biggest change in could see from that video was drake using the environment laterally to evade and flank enemies. Uncharted 2's multiplayer nailed this use of the environment, and to my dull memory, wasn't reproduced in the sp. Looks great, and hoping for big things from the mp. Get on it, Escape. You'd love driveclub too, you may as well buy one now.

Oh, Drake is wearing a wedding ring too...
    PSN: Its_DanDan_Ey
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm kinda team chalice here...

For me, U1 added something fresh and new to gaming: charisma, charm, Hollywoodization, the use of dialogue to keep the narrative going. Not all completely new by any means, but working perfectly together.

U2 refined that. I still loved it. But it was already polishing the existing model.

U3 was too much for me. More polish, but I'd overdosed.

My worry is this looks like yet more polish again, but again no real invention. My hopes for it are: I've not played one for a while, it does look more open, so maybe slightly cleverer AI knocking about, and me needing to validate my purchase of my ps4. I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Less sure it'll be totes amazeballs. We'll see.
  • To be fair, we've seen one 15 minute sequence.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Heh EXTRAPOLATION IS ALWAYS LEGIT
  • Yeah but we get the general idea. It's a sequel to a well known game. Lots of set pieces with stealth and shooty bits thrown in. 

Hopefully there will be a total absence of QTE's...
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I agree with that, fuck a QTE. I bet there's still a few in there though.
  • Did my eyes deceive me or was there still a button prompt to pick up ammo?

in 2014

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    There's a 5 minute QTE per bullet.
  • See the complaints about peril free climbing? I completely understand that... and yet it works for me. I enjoy the climbing sections. Perhaps it's because this game has generally managed to trigger my vertigo, but I somehow find it exciting.
  • g.man wrote:
    seriously impressive g.man

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Those are some damn fine visuals, but I expected nothing less from Nate Dog. 

Still way too much shooting in there but it looks like it could be different from before and this time actually fun. Again with the impossible climbing like Tomb Raider (these people must be super human) but hey it's a videogame.

I got fed up of Uncharted part way through number 2, but 4 has different directors right? Druckmann of LoU fame is directing or something, right?

Some damn fine visuals. Did I say that already? May get the game just to gawp at it.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • 4 has the same directors as 2, I think.
  • You can't blame them for showing a very directed clip.

It would be less impressive if the the player kept dying or checking his inventory or going the wrong way every few minutes. Would be fairly dull to watch too.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Liking those meatier gun sounds. Found the old ones were a bit on the tinny side, which could grate during longer play sessions.
  • Looks like an early level with the fairly prosaic exploration. Does look more of the same but that's fine by me. I like the fact that the combat can be approached with more lateral thinking and that you can properly use the undergrowth to hide in.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    The iterative process of game design does lead to a convoluted array of series' highs and lows. It's a perfectly solid approach, but it often leads to a current-day sense of diminishing returns, and when said game's retro years come into effect, it often finds itself between two poles: neither the fully-realised version, nor the origin.

I played so much of Tekken 2 that I wasn't as keen on Tekken 3. Ditto WipEout 2097 and WipEout 3: SE. But I played those later editions via emulation recently, and I found them both astoundingly good. Even if I didn't rate them, they both pushed the PS to its limits (WipEout 3: SE ran at a higher framerate and resolution than the vast majority of other PS games). A minute's menu-tinkering, and straight in; mayber two main menu options - choose a car/toon/ship, and off ya go.

It's hard to say how much of my faded interest was down to fatigue, since I was finding so many new forms to enjoy back then. What I'm trying to say - I think - is that, as franchises progress, 'good' ceases to be good enough. As a retro gamer, you might one day think 'Wow, this is such pure, refined gameplay; why did I overlook it?'. But in the here-and-now, I feel that most gamers desire definitive, differentiated experiences. If Uncharted 4 did something really ballsy - ditching most of its campaign's combat, say - it could once again stand as champion on its own podium.

But obviously, if people like 1-2-3 in A, you try for 1-2-3-4-5-6 in B. Those of us who tire early and leave are short-tailers. I fully expect to enjoy Uncharted 4's multiplayer, though. I love U2's 3D engine - the way it looks and feels, and especially the way that, via the vast peripheral vision of third-person, it heavily rewards forethought, patience and experience.

Apropos, I was sure that I'd already written a wee rant on Uncharted 3's maps, but it doesn't look like I have. I could write lots of things, but I'll focus on one map - Airstrip.

Airstrip's central hangar is a light to gaming moths. It houses every respawning power weapon, and also offers the most escape routes from pursuers. But since the map's design channels everyone inside, you lose the ability to guard yourself against randomness if you want to see regular action. Fringing the map is much, much wiser (especially if you make coordinated sweeps as a team), but Airstrip dictates a duller, slower game for playing that way.

Uncharted 2 has a late chapter called "Cat and Mouse", a title that perfectly describes the attraction of U2's stalker-based, tension-filled multiplayer. A scenario: you see an opponent who hasn't yet seen you, but save for a Dragon headshot, the distance is too great for a guaranteed kill. You can still engage, and you never know... but the smart thing to do is to use your knowledge of the map, alongside your experience of others' behaviours in it, and try to stalk them while remaining unseen. That could be by trying to get behind them, or trying to telegraph their route in order to ambush them.

In the case of the former, you have to be careful not to rush, because that means (on a well-designed map) making yourself more visible. If you feel that you can't catch up to them without risky play, it's best to predict their path and - if you've time - cover-hunt through the open areas in-between safe opportunities for runs.

The addition of a sprint button was easily Uncharted 3's worst mistake. Same scenario: you see an opponent who hasn't yet seen you; you herp-derp-sprint in their general direction; you then die to someone who's done the same thing to you. The Last of Us's main multiplayer-design problem is its staccato, craft-attack, craft-attack rhythm. But it also suffers badly from poor map design, for it's often impossible to get ahead of someone for an ambush. Its pathways are simply too long for the most part (which forces linear movement), with too few corridor-linking deviations.

Anyway, Uncharted 2's my favourite multishooter because of its heavy reliance on players' wits. Reactions can be critical, but only occasionally. Its best maps are designed to encourage weaving, octagonal lines of movement, with exposed central areas that have their own pros and cons, affording a slowish-paced game with lots of map-fringing and predictive stalking.
  • Tomb-bloke's utter superhumanity is looking even more ridiculous now.

AAA games are a mess.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Tomb-bloke's utter superhumanity is looking even more ridiculous now. AAA games are a mess.

But isn't this just the nature of this series?

This is The Mummy of video games. Granted, we have yet, I believe, to see something like The History of Violence in video games, but it doesn't invalidate the merits of over-the-top, action packed, entertainment.
  • Something about being always focused on the action, at great, multi-hour length with no cuts makes the valley way way uncannier here.

This isn't Dr. Jones made the necessary leap onto vehicle X in the nick of Y, it's Dr. Jones does it again and again and again for ages, with increasing difficulty, and then immediately is able to scoot around and headshot 3+ guys and then climb a sheer cliff with a nail, and yet isn't in fact Superman according to the rest of the narrative. It doesn't work, and it really doesn't work with the current quantity of effort made to Realify the presentation.
  • So true. Uncharted 3 fell victim to this. It just becomes preposterous after an hour or two.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yep get that, but what are they to do? Unless they release it for a fiver they can't limit the number of encounters to a handful. And if Dr Jones did just manage to jump out of the airplane with a boat strapped to his back just avoiding death, people would complain that these set pieces are too prescribed, rather than being emergent. Not that the UC series really has much of that emergent gameplay. 

Your argument against the game seems to be that as the visual fidelity has improved the realism of the setting has diminished?

Again, what are they to do except drop the series or reboot into something else that doesn't make it UC.
  • Either of what you mentioned in your last sentence really.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Like, you can certainly propose the same game design, but you can't really do it with the facade of Relatively Fit, Conservatively Attired White American. This is a mess borne of fairly typical big-industry fudging.

They should absolutely redo the presentation, I mean it's not like they lack for literal decades of superhero idioms to bite. They've ultimately written a cheque uncashable by their arse.
  • I'm all for preposterous set pieces, but when it starts to clash with the narrative and the characterisation, it puts me off.

Drake seems quite vulnerable in cut scenes bless him, he needs mothering, always getting captured or getting himself into sticky situations: - the player takes over, he becomes a bloodthirsty, acrobatic, weapons expert for three hours, with the occasional comical quip thrown in.

I suppose they have to continue the series in the manner of the rest of the games, but, the more real looking it gets, the more graphic the violence becomes, making it harder to empathise with Drake.
  • Ultimately there's no way the studio won't be aware of this, but are banking on the peak of the bell curve being still pretty dumb. Which is its own kind of depressing.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Swap Drake for James Brown.
  • It's definitely looking strange now that he looks more realistic. I say either go cartoony for this shit or tone it right down. In real life a 10ft wall and a security guard are a serious challenge.

"..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • I've only played U2, and while it was a very pretty and reasonably enjoyable romp it was mired with issues for me. 
    The balance between action and adventure just felt all wrong. It was virtually puzzle free, the climbing/platforming fell on just the wrong side of being far too easy, set pieces (I'm looking at you, world's longest train) outstayed their welcome massively, and towering above everything else, the genocidal levels of killing by the protagonist were a massive turn off. Rather akin to casting Arnold Schwarzenegger as Indiana Jones. The violence was just completely at odds with the characterisation and story.
    Oh, and Quick Time Events can suck a fat one too.
    It's a shame, because with better direction it could have been something really quite special.

fumbled the ball

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Game sucks because game. Great.
  • My feelings about uncharted are mixed in with how tedious the third person cover shooter has become through its total ubiquity. All of the uncharted games are way too dependent on long sequences of doing the same thing. That beautifully rendered jungle clearing you've just entered. Well, there's going to be about 40 guys turning up in a minute so just hide behind this rock and shoot them all one after the other. There will be two or possibly three places they spawn from so just aim there. Then climb. Then cutscene. Then 40 guys turn up to be shot.

This isn't bad in itself but I've shot approximately 8 bajillion men from a stationary cover position during the last gen and not inclined to take any more lives. Gears at least has much more flanking and chaos to get you to switch up. The way Uncharted varies it's repetition are not very entertaining - climbing sections etc. I played 1 and 2 and enjoyed them (but agree with g that things like the train really dragged) but got way too bored of the whole thing to stomach more than an hour or two of 3. Gears was the same, I quit 3 a few hours in.

The genre needs a big revamp.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!