NEW GAME +
  • I read my post back like I was gruff a marine in halo saying that. Made my body shape a pyramid for extra effect.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    LS on Vita will give me a chance to actually play it properly.

Hurry, hurry!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Here's my effort at writing the same game a couple of year's back!

advnscreen.png

Oh for some artistic competence :-(

Still - 2059FPS, fuckin yes.
  • Nick, I want to buy Lone Survivor. Question is, am I better waiting for the PS3/Vita version? The interview your bro did with Eurogamer said he designed it as a console game, so worthwhile waiting, or just get it on PC?
  • My suggestion is get it on PC. It's the platform along with mac that LS was made for.

After Monday I will have a lot more detail on the Curve studio playstation port, but Steam has it right now and if you like survival horror this is one of the ones you'll enjoy the most, guaranteed.
  • Also ace that looks sweet how can I play.
  • Gah, this will mean that I'll finally have actually paid for a game on Steam. Someone doesn't want to gift it to me by any chance do they? Usual address.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Excitement. That's all from me.
  • Sessioned the latest build on Saturday with Jasper.

Firstly, this game is really fun. It has the cheekiness in tone of sounds of graphics of A Link to the Past, and it has the deep mechanical foucs of Demon's Souls combat brought into 2D.

There is going to be a huge amount of the development effort dedicated to local multiplayer, both co-op and vs.

We played a build with barbarian, knight and mage selectible and fought them off against each other, tweaking move properties and damage to balance it. (Knight for the muthafreaking win right now - if it's massively overpowered as a character you can blame me). The controls for now, which may be placeholder but are a good foundation, are as follows: you can roll and run with a dedicated button as in Demon's. You can only roll in four directions (u,d,l,r), and the roll is a set length unless you cancel it into an attack or another roll. Attack is the second button, which if timed properly will perform an inescapable combo if the first hit connects, or if you press towards+attack you get a Demon's R2 essentially - a big startup, high damage move.

Stamina is handled like Demon's also - rolling, attacking and running all use it up to degrees -  do an 'R2' and use a coressponding amount of stamina to the magnitude of the attack, mash roll and watch it disappear. Also, use it to block with a shield, which is the final button. It raises your shiled, and you can still rotate with your shield up - your stamina won't auto-refill while you're guarding, so you need to either create space or play chicken with defending their incoming blows. Because you can rotate, it means you can't strafe or back off the opponent with your shield up. Jasper has mitigated this by allowing you to block a blow to your back if your shield is up, even if you aren't facing the enemy. (note - This is my only gripe with the game so far, I would prefer the Zelda system of locking your facing direction whilst blocking, since there's no lock on - what do you guys think?). Blocking also performs one of the most awesome systems now in place - parrying. Time your shield-raise correctly and you will stagger your opponent, giving you enough time to do an R2 and decimate their life bar. Not everyone has a shield though, more on that later.

One other system I can talk about is stun. In Dark Souls there's something called poise. It's a number that determines how heavy a weapon you can be hit with before you lose your footing (ntohing to do with actual damage taken). Jasper is doing a new version of this that is a bit more curved as a scale than demons, I don't want to go into too much detail because I firstly don't understand it that well, and secondly everything will change I'm sure. Anyway, it works well. Things like punches do a lot of stun, being slashed with a sword doesn't.

Some detail about classes: only the knight's weapon, a shortsword, actually has combos at the moment (which could be why I feel he's so OP right now) - my bro is looking at whether there should be an opportuinity, if timed correctly, to be able to roll out of the 5 hit combo he has. I think there should be, otherwise the Knight tactics boil down to 'get as near as possible and mash attack to drain their stamina'. Other than that he is FUN. Slightly slower movement than the others in his armour, but the most well-rounded moveset. He's kind of the Ryu right now.

The Barbarian wields a greatclub OF COURSE, and has good movement speed and stamina in his loincloth (bless). An R2 from this guy will kill a Mage in one hit, or drain 80% of the Knight's life. He can roll all day. He also has a cheeky unique move-  a punch combo. One of the first balance changes I suggested and Jasper put in was to reduce the damage of this - it was broken haha! He just gives you five quick left hand jabs in his off hand to create distance, they will combo, and they do a huge amount of stun. He doesn't have a shield like the other classes, so he gets this treat instead. Expect plenny of this kind of fun asymetric balancing to be going on.

Lastly there's a mage, who has very little stamina, meaning he can only roll twice before he has to recharge. He also has the smallest life bar. What he excels at though is ranged attakcs, his default weapon is a staff that fires homing missles, and he has a third HUD bar on top of his life and stamina ones - magic. His gameplan is get some cover between him and you and harass you from afar, ready with his shield if you close the gap to try and parry you - he can't block a Barb R2 for example, for lack of stamina. Trying to balance this guy's run-away game (run-speed, amount of rolls) is pretty hard for now...too good and you can't get near him (Benny Hill music), too poor and the knight strolls up and tears him apart. We have made his parry game is pretty cool though, he stuns you for longer allowing him to wind up a full-damage Hadouken.

(so much I wish I could tell you about outside of this - can confirm there's at least one utterly game-changing thing about competitive multiplayer games that my bro is toying with, hopefully he announces it soon)

How's it all sounding?
  • Prime burger Nick, a touch pink in the middle with shredded lettuce, cheese and pickles!
  • Pretty much how I expected it via the stuff on twitter, but hard to visualise still.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Sounds very groovy :-)

Was nearly going to the same thing as your bro tonight actually http://www.londonindies.com/pub-night/.  But the wife is ill :-( so my chance to play this will have to wait!!  Might also need to brush up my own stuff so I'm not too out of place if I do ever go to it lol
  • Aww - yeah I might go to that thing too, in Angel right? Just waiting to hear back from him.
    Prime burger Nick, a touch pink in the middle with shredded lettuce, cheese and pickles!

[10]
  • This is sounding like another award winner.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    @fullspectrum - that's the one.  You been before?  I hope to go to the next one - try to come along too!
  • Game sounds amazing. Looking forward to it!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    @fullspectrum - that's the one.  You been before?  I hope to go to the next one - try to come along too!

I had not been before, but we went and it was pretty cool. Met the guy who made Proteus, which looks really interesting (Ed, very nice dude). I'd definitely go again if you're up for it.

We hooked up NG+ on the laptop and gave people a demo and explanation, it was quality! Nuff people came over and asked what it was all about, and showed excitment towards the game. We tried to set up 3-player, but were foiled by a wire so bust out some 2p vs.

The guy who ran this http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-01/31/wild-rumpus-preview

..came over and had a go, and said he wants to get NG+ at the next event, which rocks. 4-player on a projector? Yes please.

I have some video footage of Claymore Knight vs Mage, will upload later : )
  • Ok I'm allowed to talk about all the game mechanics, which is lucky since I have been.

The health system in this is next level. I'll explain a little about how the single player questing will work, and how this system will fit into it and vs play.

You don't carry any health items, and initially there aren't any health pick ups on the map. You respawn from a central location when you die, and near to this place there are a couple of holes that look fit for planting. You put seeds in them, and initially nothing happens other than a small sprout appearing. The next time you respawn the plants grow into health fruits which will heal you. So, as you progress through the level you find more holes and plant further and further to give you more chance of surviving the next skirmish.

When you factor in multiplayer this gets really interesting. Firstly, in co op you would need to share these fruits, hopefully conducive to encouraging co op play. Also you can destroy the grown plants, by mistake or deliberately. Obviously you wouldn't do it in co op, but if you damage your opponent in vs you should try to do it asap to grief them. Or, my personal favourite -let them heal and take advantage of the vulnerability they have afterwards (you're invincible during the heal animation).

So much potential. Maybe where you plant them has different effect? Planting near a shimering lake might grow a bigger plant with different properties. Or maybe you can augment them yourself by using different kinds of waters to make them grow. Maybe you could poison fruits in someone elses world..

Loving this part of the game, really hope he doesn't change it to carried items!
  • This sounds pretty good. Glad it's coming to Vita as well.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    PVP is sounding glorious Nick but how is your bro approaching the SP aspect? Is he giving it a fair bit of loving as well? 50/50 split or his heart more in the multiplayer aspect?

I'll purchase first day either way i'm just trying to get a frame of mind on the end product.
  • BRO you know what this needs right? It needs the ability to say DO YOU EVEN LIFT? to any player you defeat a series of hidden bosses and stuff like the old Squeenix games used to have, before they made you run down a corridor for 25 hours. Unearthing/unsealing forgotten terrors beneath the world is made for DS-ish games.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    It also needs friendship.
  • @Boff - Glad you asked that, because everything I've written has been about multi so far.

The reason for that is not that there isn't an awesome single player game being written alongside the multiplayer, it's just that I can't talk about it : )

As you can imagine having played LS, he's very, very interested in delivering an involving, satisfying story. I wish I could tell you about it, but it'll be worth waiting for. Fuck I sound like Molyneux.

He did say mechanics were fine to talk about though, so I can tell you there will be a ful set of stats to upgrade and mould your character using Demon's as a base to create his unique set of parameters.

You'll be able to make yourself a mage/knight/barb etc, starting with a level 1 character. The demo characters we are playing with are low to mid level, in a reasonably difficult part of the game.
  • Tempy, expect plenty of that. Not the metrosexual trolling, the secret and optional stuff. Oh and bosses, expect lots of bosses.
  • can u even lift in it bro

Edit: wait answered.

Can I design I monster for it
  • Wait what you mean lift plants?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ooh, fruity.

Couple of thoughts/questions:
     - how many seeds do have? limited number or infinite? (I guess limited, if cf humanity in DkS...)
     - will they only grow once (when you die the first time), or keep growing (till you die like 10 times, by which point it has many fruit / is climbable to get to a new secret area...?)
     - if you eat a fruit and survive for long enough, can you poop out the seed and re-use :-)
     - different fruit types giving different energy profiles - i.e. slow-burner ones that go up slowly but for a long time
     - herbicides/pesticides?  enemies/wildlife eating the trees
     - plant dies after a set number of goes
     - weather / drought???
     - eat too many and get 'drunk'?
     - strawberry addiction
     - obesity if you over-indulge

OK, getting silly now, but definitely seems like lots of potential...!
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Temps is meming it up.

1337674967805_zpsf4ce7332.jpg
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I've also just noticed the penis armour in that pic.

Also thanks for answering.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!