General Bear Knuckle
  • Excuse me but as me and escape can attest, the need to be able to make your man fight in some lovely pink undies cannot be understated.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • PageChamp.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Roujin wrote:
    Excuse me but as me and escape can attest, the need to be able to make your man fight in some lovely pink undies cannot be understated.

Yuks aside, I think you need really distinct character designs for that to really work. The following is just my opinion obviously but I find most fighters rosters are full of bloat but at least theres a case to be made that each fighter also has a unique appearance and character for the player to identify with even if the differences between how each fighter plays isn't that big. I think you lose this with multiple outfits, espeically when the outfits dont fit the fighter at all - e.g. Ryu in red bull gear.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I think SF is in its own special category for costume fuckery these days, both in terms of charging for new ones and inappropriate choices that dont fit characters following the intro of the sponsor costumes.

Although I don't play MK so can't comment on neatherealms costume habits.

As ever I defer to Guilty Gear and Blaz Blue, completely different characters with completely different designs. Based Arcsys 4EVA (Sorry Harada)
  • Yeah, capcom are the worst by far in this regard. Exploitative costumes for the female characters, over priced, not fitting the character (Chun li - pjs? The bride? Wtf) and the advertisements on the character models just made things worse. But it's still not something I'm a big fan of. Not that there haven't been some good ones (hot ryu, police Chun li, macho man gief) I just prefer the colour swap
    SFV - reddave360
  • So Julia and Negan are out for Tekken 7 today.

Not had a chance to play them yet.
  • "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Tentatively keen on new SamSho.
  • GET READY FOR SOME GOOD ASS TEKKEN.

I think this is tomorrow??? I'm not good at reading or translating Japanese. Soz.
  • Is anyone else gonna say that 'moon speak' etc sounds incredibly racist? I get that some people use it to refer to any unknown language, but when used against East Asians it comes across incredibly racist (never heard a racist refer to a Chinese person as 'moon face'?)

AIBU here? I get that I'm a lot more woke these days that I used to be so I'm always a bit wary of being overly sensitive, but 'moon speak' sounds like something we should leave to 4chan, imo.
  • Never heard moon face, never knew there was a racial aspect to moon speak/moon runes. Happy to stop if that's an issue though.
  • Maybe it's just my issue, that's what I was asking. I'm happy to be told I'm wrong and didn't think you were using it to explicitly be racist (i.e. on purpose).
  • Yeah no worries, I didn't take it as an accusation of racism, it's all good fam.

I'll edit my post anyway, we can leave public consensus until some turns up.
  • I think it's probably something that racists could argue isn't racist because it could mean any foreign language, but then what, how dare people not speak English? Imo it's definitely racist, it's not like the 'Jap' question, which I have more time for (I still wouldn't use that though), this is expressly referring to any foreign language as alien / moonish or whatever.

Combine that with the 'moon face' insult (which tbh I can't find good info about online, but I've certainly heard it before) and it's an open-shut case to me.

Sorry to be That Guy (again) :/
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Have to admit, it's news to me...
    Never heard it used as a slur, and never used it myself. Heard it in a rap before, but there was no racist context.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Damn, well now I feel shitty for bringing it up, sorry guys.

It still sounds off to me but if it's my problem alone then so be it. Apologies.
  • Don't worry about it fam, not an issue for me! No need to apologise.
  • Jesus Christ lads Japan was an empire you can relax the wokeness, you're literally the liquid snake to their solid.
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • Can I be Colonel Campbell from the end of MGS2 instead?
  • Well, I missed the 12 on 12 Tekken 7 thing when it was live, but based Aris also watched it and so here it is with added Aris greatness. 

• Wait this is possibly some kind of highlights thing, I will see if I can track down an actual thing. But I'll do that tomorrow because I'm already being naughty and staying up past my bedtime on a school night teehee.
  • It's archived on the official Twitch Tekken channel.

I've been watching it over the weekend. The format is bonkers.

First, they had an open bracket, 1 game, single elim tournament to decide Japan's 12th team member.

Then they divided the 12 man teams into four teams of three, and ran four mini tournaments. These matches were 2/3.

Wasn't winner stays on, so A v A, B v B, C v C.

Whichever team won their match, would have envelopes to choose from. Either 3 or 2, depending on if it's a clean sweep.

The players who won open their envelopes simultaneously, and one of them will have a logo on the paper that means they get an extra life in the 12 v 12 proper.

That life can be used instantly to run back a loss, or wait until the end.

The proper 12 v 12 is winner stays on.

I'm only half way through the four mini tournaments, so no spoilers please.
  • Has anyone else seen what happened in the smash tournament recently between the jigglypuff and ice climber player? 

Guy took a life lead and then just floated about iceclimber. To the point the player took his pad out and got up and walked out. The crowd was already booing (as were the commentators) the jigglypuff player! 

Article was on kotaku, I can't link it as i'm at work. Interesting though. I was trying to explain it to the mrs and I suppose we get less of it in SF because it's a more horizontal game so you can only run to the side and then you're trapped because as soon as you jump your generally vulnerable. Which is different to smash games.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Sounds pretty hilarious but then jiggly and kirby were my guys in melee in 2002 or whenever it came out.

Shows how naff the scene is though that people and comentators were booing keepaway/timerscam tactics and the ice climber player chucked their toys out the pram presumably because the jigglypuff players strat meant he couldn't land the infinite anymore.
  • Apparently a popular Ice-Climbers tactic called wobbling was recently banned, which would have given some chance, but once Jigglypuff sets out to stall, there's very little 95% of the cast can do.
  • Its seems ice climbers dude got annoyed because the other guy wouldn't let him hit him. My daughter is the same when we play Arms.

She is 5.

https://kotaku.com/melee-player-quits-match-over-opponents-jigglypuff-stal-1833725878
    SFV - reddave360
  • I don't know smash very well so I wasn't sure about the viability of a counter pick or not. If 95% can't get at him after a life lead it sounds boring to watch jiggy.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • The tradeoff for jigglypuff is that the mobility is in exchange for being a very light character that you can smash from quite low health.

For me, the jigglypuff keepaway is no different from any other vortex or consistent pressure string, it's just that instead of the opponent being forced to guess the mix up or being forced to block correctly, they are instead being forced to chase after jigglypuff.

First the record, I assume this was melee as I don't think ice climbers are in ultimate, and let me just reaffirm my stance of FUCK MELEE in 2019, the fucking pissbabies.
  • smash isn't exactly the most balanced of fighting games... that jiggle shite is what keeps my eyes rolling.

had a go at DOA6 this weekend. game is pretty solid and easy to pick up as usual. lots of stuff to do compared to many other fighters, decent tutorial and combo challenges get you started. T&A seems far less gratuitous compared to previous entires, but i haven't browsed any lewd costumes. Far more #'ing going on in one of Laura's alts. 

it's worth picking up the free version if you're curious, plays like a zippy VF/soulcal kinda thing.
  • They also have ludicrous counterpick rules.

You can change character on a win, so counterpicking is not a proper strategy like in other games.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!