Wii and Wii U
  • Oh my god! I didn't even realise all that stuff existed... I have a small selection of games and the Zelda branded console. Oh and the pro controller now.

I can see how it happens though, there's quite a comparatively small amount of stuff and you're right, the boxes are awesome.
  • Finally got aboard the wii-u train. Odd thing is, I think its made me want a Switch at some point down the line. Simply put, the gamepad is a great gimmick for someone like me. I can zoom around mario kart while the wife watches her stuff. Every body happy.

Gamewise, I've a huge stock of stuff but I think I might try and pick up some of the quirkier titles over the next few months before they disappear. / gain in price. 

As a system, I have to say its very nicely put together although I'm not sure if all the stuff I got is representative of what someone with a new system would experience. I have 3 wiimotes, 2 nunchucks, 1 gamepad, 1 gamepad stand for charging and a pro controller. But if I just bought one off the rack I'd ust get the gamepad and all those extras would soon add up. And its not like buying a second controller for multiplayer. The wiimotes do allow for a lot more games if you can get them.

Other issues? The OS seems very slow. But I dont mind that too much. The games are great with Mario Kart and NSMBU getting the love at the moment.

One thing I must ask - is the wi-fi as terrible as I'm getting? It is constantly dropping out. Doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to it. I know when my daughter had the surface on streaming some netflix, it affected the gamepad conenction to the wii-u (she was sat between) but the wi-fi is constantly shit. I'm thinking of getting a lan connecter. Theres a cheap one on amazon that works with the wii-u (typically the offical one is priced super high. Fucking hate console manufacturers for that type of shit)
    SFV - reddave360
  • I have never bought amibos then I saw the link ocarina of time one and wind walker and I couldn't help myself
  • Locking extras behind Amiibos is a bit 'dlc already on the disk'.  It's hard not to be cynical but if people enjoy it good for them.  The fact that a Shovel Knight Amiibo unlocks proper campaign co-op in Shovel Knight is a pretty big deal.  As is the fact that Mario 3D World has a same screen four player mode, and it works.  I beat this drum now and then, but that's a towering achievement that gets overlooked by people focusing on how damn good the rest of the package is.  What a game.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    I have never bought amibos then I saw the link ocarina of time one and wind walker and I couldn't help myself

I have the big box TPHD and Animal Crossing shitfest big box, won't be buying any outside of big boxes.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Biggest bargain was a near mint condition Pokken for £15 from Cash Converters.
    I could flip that on eBay today for £30- £35

Dibs?

CEX are good for the occasional bargain, but you have to be careful/do your research. Similar to retroking, my local is selling 2nd hand 'bone pads for the same price as new from GAME or Amazon.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • They had Pro Controllers for £80 which you can get off amazon for £40, yeah defo need to be careful.
    Also make sure the box sleeve is original and not a print out.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    RedDave: WiFi seems ok on mine.
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Locking extras behind Amiibos is a bit 'dlc already on the disk'.

Yeah. If the figures weren't as nice, and the extras they unlock felt like stuff that should've been there by default, I'd probably be really angry about amiibo acting as ransom for content you already sorta own. Nintendo have done well with the sculpt quality and the extras feeling like, well, extras. Prime example is Captain Toad, the hide-and-seek mode is fun, but entirely skippable if you don't want the amiibo.

It'd be nice if the figures were £9.99, but £14.99 isn't super ridiculous. Shop around and you can usually find stuff less than RRP anyway.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I gave up connecting Wii U via wifi. Even took console back to Game in anger at launch but guy there heloed me out. (He was good, haven't seen him in a while, must have left.).
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    Biggest bargain was a near mint condition Pokken for £15 from Cash Converters. I could flip that on eBay today for £30- £35
    Dibs? .
    Im not sure whether to sit on it or not yet.
  • There were issues early on with the WiiU and wifi.

Maybe try this Dave.I
    http://kotaku.com/5961600/if-your-wii-u-wont-connect-to-your-wifi-router-heres-what-to-do

Cheers. I did try that. I might give it another go but no dice so far. I'm not bothered about online play but i do want updates and mario kart dlc.

SFV - reddave360
  • Yeah I think I have played online once or twice but doesn't bother me either. You definitely want that MK8 dlc though, I really like that they have taken MK in the Smash direction and including the wider Nintendo IP.

What router are you using?
    I haven't had a problem with Homehub 3 or the Virgin Media jobby.
  • I've never had an issue with WiFi on mine.
  • That sucks. If you haven't done the initial big Wii U update that speeds up the UI and such, then yeah it's definitely worth getting it online.
  • I've never had an issue with WiFi on mine.

Me neither, faster than my PlayStation's in fact. 3DS is a different story though, that fucker only works when I'm in the same room as the router.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Fair to say its probably as much the router as the wii. Its a horizon box from upc (now virgin). Used to have issues with the 360 as well. No probs with phones, laptops or ps3 though. Very fast with the ethernet so as said i might just get a lan connector.

Have to say, mario kart 8 is bloody brilliant. If youre getting a switch and never played it I'd definitely call it a must have.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Ogre Battle 64 out on wii u virtual console this week.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    Yeah, bought it on Wii and have been waiting for the Wii U version for years! The discount thing is still a thing, right?
  • It is.

Heard good things about that game. Had a read up on the series and was surprised it's only got 3 main entries with the 64 game being the last. Might be due a reboot.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Just gave it a crack tonight. This is quite unlike other strategy games (one mission only impressions). It's very much auto-combat but with manual map control - youre essentially command and conquering with simplistic directions to squads as to where to go. 

Looking forward to getting in deeper.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    I remember playing the Wii version for about 30 minutes, thinking this isn't at all what I expected, and then never playing it again. There's a fair chance that I'll never play this version as well, but at least I've bought it twice now.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    That's the spirit
  • So, anyone here played Runbow?

Just played it for an hour with @Moot_Geeza was good fun.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I didn't like the jump feel in the demo.
  • Plenty to like in Runbow.  I didn't get on with the jump at first, but the fireball propulsion sorts that out.  Strikes me as a very good co-op game (adventure mode), with two multiplayer modes that would work with 4+ players (run, and king of the hill).  Colour me impressed.
  • Yeah I liked it to.

Currently trying to finish off my Wii U collection to justify making the Switch.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Well if rets & moot like I may take a punt. Been looking for something to break up the local multi shenanigans with the bambinos, as there is only so many times I can take being crushed on Smash & kart, well tbf I can hold my own on kart, now, ....most times.

I've almost purchased it, a few times, whilst browsing the eshop but something always held me back.

Supports up to 9 players, I think, so no one is getting left out.
  • The controls are a little on the loose side, but unless it gets too cluttered with multiple players I'd be surprised if it's not one of the best same screen mp games in recent years. 

I'll be tempted to buy it on Switch eventually, as I like the sound of the Bowhemouth mode, which is the only mode we didn't try earlier.

• Harvest Moon 64 added to eShop today.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!