I Wanna Get It On With Jahbulon : The Shmups/STG Thread
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    If it's called "Saturn Tribute" then it's a Saturn ROM running emulated. Most of the Saturn ports are grand but they will be bare bones + the emu will likely introduce controller lag.  Depends if you are sensitive to it.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • How odd. I saw your post above hence me saying yes it says Saturn Tribute on it. But my post shows before yours. 

How bizarre, how bizarre
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I edited my post to make sure you saw the "saturn tribute" info.
  • davyK wrote:
    I edited my post to make sure you saw the "saturn tribute" info.

Yes but I saw that.  Posted.  And I posted my reply.  And even if you edited it in, your post should still show before mine.

BIZARRO
  • Dubs wrote:
    Also did Deathsmiles at Level 3 (done a recording) which is straightforward up until the final stage where the revenge bullets really kick in.  Tbf I skipped the optional, and tricky, canyon stage which further increases the difficulty of the final stage but you still have to play 6 stages before you get there.  Might try to crack it before DOJ arrives, revenge bullets aren't so scary when you've got an owl to hide behind.

I think Deathsmiles is my favourite Cave game, I know there's more love for Mushi and DDPs but I enjoy the full screen, horizontal chunkiness of it, and the horror theme. Plus eating suicide bullets with your familiar is super satisfying.

Grats on the Lvl3 clear - I never managed to make it past the ballroom back in the day but did upload an exceptionally poor quality recording 12 years ago anyway; all lvl3s but 'no EX' - I can't even remember what that means but I'm guessing it's the canyon you mentioned?
    Spoiler:
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    DDP-DOJ has been dispatched.

Goodness knows when it will arrive.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Mine took about 6 days from Amazon, wish I hadn't ordered the more expensive one though, it is enormous.
    nick_md wrote:
    12 years ago anyway; all lvl3s but 'no EX' - I can't even remember what that means but I'm guessing it's the canyon you mentioned?

12 years, eek, pretty sure I watched that at the time.  Yeah the EX is the Gorge/canyon stage.  It's mostly vertically scrolling which calls for some careful owl management to deal with the suicide bullets.  Then when you go to the castle everything spits out tons of them at high speed, it's good fun.  I can almost do it, just need a bit more practice on the end boss as I'm just spamming bombs at the moment.
  • Scrub life continues with Ketsui. No missed Super Easy :-) and working through 1cc'ing each difficulty level in turn. 2, 3, and 4 done.

Away for a week but level 5 is next.

No missing, and no bombing this at proper difficulty still blows my mind.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My copy of DOJ in the UK.  :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Delivered today. Less than a week from Japan.
  • Let LRG know about it.

Enjoy the game.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Gave it to Wifey as a present to me.  :)
  • …wot?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    aka Keeping it for Christmas.  Exercising some delayed gratification.

We are keeping Christmas gifts low key this year. So she will give it to me as a present on Christmas Day.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Meant to say that my copy appears to have come with an artbook.  Wasn't expecting that.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    played a few credits of DOJ and DOJ BL on MAME just to remind me before playing with the Switch port. Dear me it's a marvellous game.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Done, crappy score but got quite a clean EX stage (starts at 18:30 if you want to skip the boring bits).  On to DOJ!

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nice.
  • Excellent work, Dubs.
  • Going on a shmup shopping spreeeeee

Ordered DDP DOJ and Rolling Gunner from PlayAsia.
    Will also get in UK, Akai Katana Shin, Psiky Collections 1 & 2, and Raiden III and IV.
  • Nicely done! I picked up Akai Katana Shin and the very highly regarded indie, Gana Blade, on Steam. 

Rolling gunner (especially the Overpower mode) is a gem and one I'll never stop advocating for. Directed by former Cave programmer, Daisuke Koizumi, as well. The guy worked on Akai katana, Deathsmiles II, and various DDP's.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Turns out the game my brother got me for last Christmas, but only turned up this Christmas, was the physical version of Radiant Silvergun for Switch. 

14 months door to door. Well done, Limited Run.

On the upside... Radiant Silvergun!
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nice!!

Just opened the extra that came with DOJ. It's a very nice manual / player guide. Excellent.
  • Nice present there Swirl
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    It is indeed. 

Wondering if I can still justify the SuperDeluxe version with the ship when that comes out.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    DOJ port is marvellous on Switch. Some gorgeous artwork on view too - the main title screen is a delight.

Anyone know what the difference is between old and new versions are when you select Black Label? Also I presume the 1 round game gives us the TLB? I've never really read too much about it.  Is old version a tweak of white label? It doesn't have the black title screen that BL has (when you select new)

It's a marvellous game though - classic Cave - the enemy waves are such a joy to tackle.
  • I'm going to take a stab in the dark and suggest ddp iii. But it might also be a regional version
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    DDPiii is on as a separate option from the main menu (aka grey label). I'd never even heard of that. It could be a regional thing as you say.

There's 3 arrange modes too which are mostly easier according to reviews so plenty for mortals like me to enjoy.  :)

@Dubs and co. might like score attacking them I suppose.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    DOJ super easy mode cleared first time. I didnt get hit to level 4 but Autobomb makes it too easy. Maybe that can be disabled but I doubt it. It's what made Futari Novice too easy as well. Toggling it would a useful stepping stone to the main game.
  • Ketsui allows you to create a custom game and then choose the difficulty level e.g. 1 for Super Easy (10 being arcade level), and turn autobomb on/off.

See if DOJ has the same setup. It's something I'm interested to know about anyway just in case I buy it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!