I Wanna Get It On With Jahbulon : The Shmups/STG Thread
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Back to Mushi Arrange today. Got a level 5 run.  Might be nice to start the year with getting this one done as it feels pretty manageable.  I reckon if I avoid the autobomb (which takes the rest of your bombs off you) I'll make it without too much trouble as long as I keep at it regularly.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    More Arrange runs....all ending on the level 4 boss.  I somehow got a big score on one run - twice the amount I've scored before.  Not sure how the scoring works in this mode.

It's a very enjoyable mode for those who know the game well. I can imagine elite gamers racking up humungous scores on it.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I've somehow managed to turn on free play in Radiant Silvergun, and I can't figure out how to turn it off. :/
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Should be somewhere in the menu, but does it matter anyway?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Should be somewhere in the menu

You'd think that, wouldn't you. Weirdly enough, that was the first place I tried.
    hylian_elf wrote:
    but does it matter anyway?

On the cosmic scale? No. In terms of enjoying Radiant Silvergun and the challenge it provides? A little.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Ah, you can't turn it off. It's an unlock for playing more than seven hours.

I mean, neat, as an option, but... nnngg. I was enjoying seeing how far I could get with limited continues. Plus this also renders all the 'get an extra life for every X points' settings pointless.
  • Is there a score attack mode rather than normal? Those tend to have restrictions like that.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Should be somewhere in the menu
    You'd think that, wouldn't you. Weirdly enough, that was the first place I tried.
    hylian_elf wrote:
    but does it matter anyway?
    On the cosmic scale? No. In terms of enjoying Radiant Silvergun and the challenge it provides? A little.

Sorry, I was trying to say: you can just not continue once you die, so free play or number of credits don't matter?  Or does the game auto continue for you?  Would be weird if the latter.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah- just don't continue. I don't recall the game having auto continue (or equally annoying - the fire button is used to continue - as in the PS2 version of Strikers 1945.....)

There might be an "allow continue" in the options?  The Saturn port doesn't have that..

I take every opportunity to show the Saturn port option menu as it's glorious.

rsg2.jpg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I doubt it would be in the unlockable options..

rsg6.jpg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Normally a score attack mode prevents continues - does the new port have that?

I tend to restrict continues to a max of 4 when I'm learning a game.  If I clear the game within that budget I call it a 1DC  (a $1 clear - 4 quarters geddit?)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    "Just don't continue" doesn't quite work, as I forget how many continues I've had.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    Is there a score attack mode rather than normal? Those tend to have restrictions like that.

Yeah, that's there. Might be the way forward from now on.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Actually, fuck it, story mode. Limited continues but you keep your weapons’ levels between runs.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    "Just don't continue" doesn't quite work, as I forget how many continues I've had.

You must be credit feeding to the max!!  :)

The game is brutal - you will go through lives with it like billy-o when you get to a new section.
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    Actually, fuck it, story mode. Limited continues but you keep your weapons’ levels between runs.

Story mode has different levels and as it saves weapons levels it isn't a true reflection of your skill improvement - but I'm anal.   :)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    You must be credit feeding to the max!!  :) The game is brutal - you will go through lives with it like billy-o when you get to a new section.

Not really, but in the heat of the moment, whether a continue was my third or fourth is hard to keep track of.

It is, but it manages to balance challenge with fairness. I generally feel after a game over that it was my fault, and not the game being cheesy.
    davyK wrote:
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    Story mode has different levels and as it saves weapons levels it isn't a true reflection of your skill improvement - but I'm anal.   :)

A combination of learning the game and slowly upping my weapons'll get me through. Then I can change back to arcade or score attack. My plan was to get through the game on Easy with extra lives every million points (but a set number of continues), then up the difficulty/increase the number of points before extra lives are earned. But now I've got infinite credits, I think I'll stick with the compromise of story mode.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah - that's a good way to approach the game. Arcade mode is a cruel master and is demoralising. I remember feeling how inaccessible the was when I first got it (late 90s). I was underwhelmed with it initially but it's a great game.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    It’s definitely clicking this time. I’ve tried before and bounced off it.

I do wonder how mind-blowing it must have been back at original launch, especially running on a Saturn, not known for being able to manipulate polygons. Treasure really are/were wizards.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It was the first game I imported - must have been 1998. And it was amazing looking and sounding - way ahead of anything on a console for that time in that genre (this was post Mario 64 which is still probably the biggest OMG experience for me).
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Always nice to see a shmup get some mainstream attention (as far as GDQ is mainstream).

Deathsmiles is a great crowd pleaser too.

• Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    It was the first game I imported - must have been 1998. And it was amazing looking and sounding - way ahead of anything on a console for that time in that genre (this was post Mario 64 which is still probably the biggest OMG experience for me).

No PAL release at the time, I’m assuming?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nope. I bought a special cart called the ST-Key to play imports.  I rang up Forbidden Planet somewhere in England and asked if they had a copy of RSG and they said yes and it was £50........
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Ah, Resi 2 rrp.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Was it not £60?

I picked it up in Ca$h Converters for £20 in great condition, boxed with manual.  The cart was noticeably heavier than any other I'd owned.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    N64 might have been £60 (I'm going off "cart" here), but on PS1 it was £50 iirc - my brother got it for his birthday, very much as a "OK, but this is it" deal. This was when a new game was £39.99 or £20 on Platinum.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Ah - fair enough. Jeez that was expensive for a PS1 game.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Capitalism, innit. They knew they could get away with it. Heck, my family bought it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The N64 port was pretty swish. Had all the video apparently and it supported the ram pack for slightly sharper image. Load/uncompress times were damn good - probably quicker than the PS1.

But 60 bloody quid.  And there was no in-game file slot delete function. You just had to start a new game over an existing save. Weird little oversight that from Capcom.  I suppose you could just use the memory pack management screen some games had that let you delete saves.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Anyhoo - shmups. Have been messing about with the Switch port of Mushi. Still at Arrange mode and flipping between it and Normal-Maniac mode as the level layouts are the same.  Playing the Switch version on the big screen is a lark but I really need to be sitting up close so I'll be getting back to the PC version. They feel identical to play - great job on the Switch.
  • I'm considering selling my 360 versions of the ones I now have on PS4/5 and Switch.  Should fetch a fair price on the Bay.

Think I need to hunt down Espgaluda 2 and Mushi on Switch.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!