I Wanna Get It On With Jahbulon : The Shmups/STG Thread
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'd definitely check out average sold listings and put a reserve on them.  DFK, Ketsui, Espgaluda and Mushi particularly.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Oh yeah don't worry, I've got a spreadsheet of what I think I can get from eBay and CeX :)

Ver yfew items go for a better price at CeX.  If the latter gives just a few quid less, I go there for less hassle.  Definitely taking the old bigger consoles there as they'll test.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Gonna get some old consoles out of the loft too, mainly the handhelds. Need some cash.

Let me know what you got mate I might be tempted by some! (Games more so than consoles...)
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Particularly keen if I can do some spreadsheet analysis, obviously
  • CEX
    GAMES ebay cash voucher 
    Metroid Zero Mission £130.00 £149.00 £172.00 
    Metroid Fusion £55.00 £52.00 £63.00 
    Zelda Minish Cap £100.00 £97.00 £112.00 
    Zelda LttP + 4 Swords £60.00 £74.00 £86.00 
    Castlevania: CotM £29.00 £35.00 
    Castlevania: HoD £160.00 £104.00 £120.00 
    Castlevania: AoS £300.00 £182.00 £210.00 
    Astro Boy £60.00 £37.00 £45.00 
    Boktai 1 £140.00 £94.00 £108.00 
    Boktai 2 £130.00 £78.00 £90.00 
    Advance Wars £26.00 £31.00 
    Fire Emblem Fates Limited Ed £200.00 £124.00 £150.00
  • Formatting fucked, but that's ebay followed by CEX cash then voucher.

But these are games I'm selling only as a last resort at some point! :)
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    That's all CIB is it? Mint?

Makes me even more furious that moot "lost" my zero mission ffs
  • Yah all my stuff is always CIB and mint.  ALWAYS
  • acemuzzy wrote:

You think that's bad?  One of my mates once leant another mate his prsitine copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga on the Saturn.  It got "lost" at some point.  Now goes for over £700 at CeX!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    You think that's bad?

Yes
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Astro Boy! Top GBA game.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I've ended  up with a decent Switch shmup collection. The only one of these that's a bit of a disappointment is Raiden III as it has slowdown. But I only got it as a collecting thing since I have it for PS2 and Steam and I have a real soft spot for it.  The rest are grand. The M2 ports are the same as PS4 apart from 1 extra frame of control delay.

I started picking these up to fill in the gaps in my 360 and PS2 collections and have ended up with quite a few. 

Rayz Arcade Chronology was purely an indulgence as I love Layer Section and already have the excellent Saturn port but it's nice to have this on a modern console and it has the 2 sequels on the cart as well.

I have DFK for 360 but it doesn't have BL Arrange. The Switch (and Steam) versions have that and all the PAL 360 port's DLC.

shmupsSwitch.jpg
  • Nice!  I will get Darius games and Ray'z at some point.  Also, Radiant Silvergun.

Play-Asia still haven't shipped my DDP BD Reincarnation and it's pissing me off.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I got mine from an eBay flipper. Paid a bit more but got it.
  • On 360 I had:

DDP Resurrection
    Akai Katana
    Under Defeat
    Deathsmiles

But unfortunately they all went to the great CEX in the sky. Should I be kicking myself?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:
    You think that's bad?  One of my mates once leant another mate his prsitine copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga on the Saturn.  It got "lost" at some point.  Now goes for over £700 at CeX!

fook
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    On 360 I had: DDP Resurrection Akai Katana Under Defeat Deathsmiles But unfortunately they all went to the great CEX in the sky. Should I be kicking myself?

The PAL versions have gone up a bit in value but they aren't megabucks.  DDP Res would be £40-50 now. I got it for buttons in the day.

But  they're worth a reasonable amount of money in total - £120 or thereabouts.
  • Ah, phew! Thank God!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    360 imports are worth money. Mine are approx (going by sold listings)

Muchi Muchi Pork / Pink Sweets - £150
    DDP:SDOJ - £100  (platinum!)
    Futari platinum - £60 (great value btw)
    Espgaluda II (platinum) - £40 (ditto).

It's a fair bet all the 360 shmups will climb in value as time goes by, PAL and import.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm in it for the long haul though. I don't really care how much they are worth. No plans for selling anything for a good while yet.
  • I wouldn't sell if I had space enough to keep them and maybe even display them, but also ultimately I've stopped collecting per se and just want to be able to play them now and at some point in the future.  So for me it makes sense to get rid of older copies when I can play them on newer systems.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It brings up a subject that I've been mulling over lately.  Frankly when I shuffle off, or am unable to play , I'd hate to think of my game collection being loaded into a box and dumped in a charity shop (although part of me thinks maybe that is right and proper since those shops check everything they get for value now - unlikely they would become little gems to be found.)  I'd much rather sell it off slowly over the years.  Ideally I'd like to gift it in its entirety to a good home; preferably a relative. There is a nephew I have in mind but by the time I can't play any more he would be a good age as he's 20-odd years younger than me.  My daughters might like some of the them too.

It takes up a fair bit of room because of the consoles and controllers. Would be a ball-ache to house.

I'm set for life with respect to the games I own and have access to via emulation and my current Steam library. The shmup pile of shame alone would see me out.  I have curtailed my collecting now to just shmups, tetris ports and premium Mario platformers and to be honest if I get to the point where I have the Cave games I want (I'd like a DDP release), I'd be done with shmups.
  • I've been thinking of that all the time over the years! :)

I think my kids are clued up enough now to know that some of the stuff is worth a bit so they will sell appropriately.  I just need to make sure it's now always eBay they turn to.  There are some good and friendly groups on FaceBook (*spit*) who can help.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    FB groups are pretty good to be fair. I've sold my PAL N64 games using that method.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    If I was to boil my console collection down it would become my shmups, tetris ports and a few of my favourite racers (F-Zero X, Daytona on DC, Sega Rally on Saturn). Super Mario World and Mario All Stars would cover my platforming itch.
  • Finally pulled the trigger on Drainius (Switch), which looks absolutely glorious and I'm well in the mood for a shmup. 30% off at the mo.
  • Think Drainus will be right up your street, Moot. Plays great, looks great, and has a good story that nicely sets up the tougher second loop. 

It's not as balanced or challenging as some shmup heads would like, but the wider community welcomed it with open arms. I thought it was great fun.
  • Level 3 boss sucks though
  • I loved it. I'm a shmup toe-dipper so there's a good chance the easy difficulty runthrough I just finished will be enough for me, but what a ride. Did the Ghouls 'n Ghosts style double clock too. Really good stuff.

There's a special bomb that allows you to reup the levels on your main weapons which sort of felt like it broke the game a bit, but I assume things are different on the normal settings (and above - one I unlocked is amusingly called Ridiculous).
  • Just booted it up and started a game on hard. Yup, died at level 3 boss. Terrible design. Once you die you are almost fucked.
    I think the best way is to power up your super weapon, crash into the boss so you can hit the core, and hope the super kills it.

The game is pretty good, if a little easy (until the 2nd loop) and very confusing to start with. I'm still not clear what counts as scenery that kills and background. Not a huge issue until the one of the levels.

edit: game borrows too much from Gradius syndrome.

Overall, it's a pretty good game but with odd balance issues (and a terrible level 3 boss).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!