I Wanna Get It On With Jahbulon : The Shmups/STG Thread
  • Completed it on Story - Hard mode now. Can't make my mind up about it. There is a lot to really like but the power down 'get rekt loser' syndrome is a real kicker. I negated that a bit by upgrading my s-bombs so I always had plenty in reserve for the emergency power up option.

Cube boss is trivial if you have the fire power but a f'ing nightmare with the standard weapon on Hard. Level 3 boss is still terrible but a couple of normal s-bombs work as long as you can tank the contact hits.

Overall it's impressive, has some good ideas, and looks great. And a million miles better than the boring Sol Cresta (another modern shooter, that also happens to be twice the price - with half the design effort).

Going to try Ridiculous mode next.

edited post - forum died last night as I was making this update
  • Ketsuipachi is so damn satisfying and addictive.  Played more on the Switch last night and got hooked.  Can get to stage 4 almost to the mid-boss.  Highest score is 574bn or whatever the number is (why can't they just put commas in there in the right place?!), a score which expert players smash by the end of stage 1 :)
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • That's good going as it's a pretty tough mode.
    I love it but I'm terrible at it, but that music, awesome.
  • I wish the game had a restart option on Score Attack mode.  I have to go back to menu and start again that way every time I fuck up (which is very often).  It's only an extra 10 seconds or thereabouts each time but still annoying.  If only M2 had done this port!
  • My son desperately wants me to get DDP DOJ on PS4 for some reason!  He has played it on iPhone and wants to try on big screen properly.  He's only 10, absolutely rubbish at these, but it's nice to see him take an interest and play a few games.  He just loves seeing the bullets fly and the gems/chips/coins/tokens fill the screen - as do I!

I keep talking about Mushi Futari to him as my fave.  I'm tempted to hook up the 360 and show it to him!
  • I showed him a YT bid of the Queen Larsa TLB fight.  LOLZ
  • Have you shown him Crimzon Clover? That has a billion things flying around the screen.
  • I have had mine on order from Limited Press or whatever they're called for like yeeeaaaars it seems.  Not sure if they'll actually make it?  Keeps getting pushed back.
  • First Press

https://firstpressgames.com/search?q=clover&type=product

I ordered in December 2021!!!
  • Eek.

And, just fitted in a sneaky go at Mushi Novice Ultra. Got to the 4th level boss which is significantly further than I've got in the past - I don't play Ultra very much.
  • mrsmr2 wrote:
    That's good going as it's a pretty tough mode.

So it turns out it was 56bn not 574bn! Easy mistake to make given how stupidly they display the numbers. 

Also… it was area 3, not 4! Sheesh what bad memory. It was only last night! Confused maybe as I can get to area 4 in normal v1.5 and I was playing all the modes last night. 

Tonight I got hooked on trying to beat my score again. Area 3 multiple times and then for some reason kept dying on area 2 boss a lot. Like wtf? Eventually “one last go” resulted in a new high score of around 70bn. 

Most of the time, if I don’t get to Ura route at start of stage 1, I just quit. That’s where some big scoring is! Got my high scores that way.
  • A few attempts at Ridiculous mode on Drainus.

A lot tougher as it's one hit kill time, with a lot more bullets (normal and suicide), and enemies have a lot more health.

Went back to Arcade normal. That brings another strange design decision - pause is the same button as the shop. The shop can only be used once during an actual level in arcade mode (plus can be used at the end of a level).

So, if you want to pause the game, you have to waste the 1 time shop use. The shop is also on a timer so you need to come out of the shop and pause again. This time you need to hold down the pause button to make it pause.

Why can't you hold down the button for the 1st pause? Then you can pause and not waste the shop use. Or, make hold down go into the shop, and a normal press as pause.

Fun fact, I've had 2 runs at arcade mode and both have resulted me in walking away at the end of a level only to return to a game over - as the shop is on a timer. Ha.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Got Darius Extra on cart for my MD off strictly limited for £40. Kept crashing so I returned it and they sent me another. That crashed too so they refunded me and asked me to return it. I did, but it arrived back with me after 3 weeks or so. I emailed them twice but was ignored.  Muppets.

Found the Darius Extra ROM online and copied it onto my MD Everdrive. Works flawlessly. There must be a problem with the physical carts. Disappointing. 2 carts and 2 consoles I tried it on.

It's a splendid port by the way.  Was a homebrew that M2 took and polished up. It's what was put onto the MD-mini.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Been playing this on the retro handheld.

Fucking slaps. Wonderful visuals.
  • On the list it goes. Looks good.
  • Come for the weird name and capcom street cred, stay for the insane pre-boss WARNING bits and post-stage character art.
  • Everyone loves a spot of A HUGE BATTLESHIP APPROACHES FAST action.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Be attitude for gains!
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Hello, anyone want any of these before I put them up on eBay?  Price is what I will put it on eBay for BIN price, will check again before I put them up.  Happy to take reasonable offers.

Mushi Ltd Ed JP £120.00 Region LOCKED
    Espgaluda 2 JP £40.00 Region FREE
    DDP DFK JP £50.00 Region LOCKED
    DDP DFK BL JP £50.00 Region LOCKED
    Akai Katana Shin JP £50.00 Region LOCKED
    Ketsui JP £50.00 Region LOCKED
    Deathsmiles £20.00 PAL
    Deathsmiles II JP £50.00 Region LOCKED
    Caladrius JP £90.00 Region LOCKED
    Eschatos JP £70.00 Region LOCKED
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Are these all Xbox?
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Yeah, systems needed.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Ah yes. Xbox 360.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Drool.
  • Every time I take them out to put on eBay, I feel like I don’t want to :(
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Esp. The limited edition i'll bet.....

If I had a j-360 I might have been tempted even though I have most....
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Ah yes. Xbox 360.

Dang.
  • davyK wrote:
    Esp. The limited edition i'll bet..... If I had a j-360 I might have been tempted even though I have most....

OMG Mushi is still sealed!  Well, the game and CD are, if there was any shrink wrap around outer box I've taken it off.  I remember now.  I had non-limited version and sold it to wonderbanana.  Then rebought limited edition but never played it!  Classic Elf.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    If someone wants to do an elf and sell off some Dreamcast stuff (regardless of region), I get first dibs.
  • I've got a copy of Bangai-O you can have? Maybe a couple of other games too.

Edit: wait I thought it was worth about £10, which is what I paid not long after release. Maybe I'll sell that one sorry. Might have some unboxed stuff though
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    If someone wants to do an elf and sell off some Dreamcast stuff (regardless of region), I get first dibs.

How about a Japanese Dramcast?  Or a UK controller (still in box)?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!