I Wanna Get It On With Jahbulon : The Shmups/STG Thread
  • I won't dispute any of that but I will say it's one of the best hori shumps I've ever played for a fairweather fleeting dabble. It's hard to get a bead on balance and sticking points on a single playthrough but I thought it was glorious.

For the level 3 boss, couldn't you use the S move that adds adds an extra level to your guns and keep it bobbing at a high level if you get tagged? Slower than a well placed bomb I guess (there's an epic nuke I unlocked towards the end that obliterated bosses if unleashed correctly), but could be a viable option. Or I could be talking out my hat, of course.
  • You tried Deathsmiles moot? I'm sure it has an easy mode (no shade!). It'll be in the post for you if you want.
  • I haven't, I've seen lots of people mention it the years but not given it a go. Would try though, thanks. I can't get wobbled by easy mode chat after Scrubgeargate.
  • I never used the s bomb (apart from level 3 boss last time I played) but I had a look at the upgrades and have now used that emergency capsule it in my hard play through. It's very handy. So thanks for that.

Will help a bit for level 3 dicko (unless meter has been used already) but crashing into it and normal bombing > 5 minutes dodging the legs anyway.
  • And, that upgrade defintely is broken. I finished off a 2nd loop save and I just kept the shield topped up every time it dropped until the end of the game.
  • Yup. I switched to a big hitting special for the final boss because I'd amassed umpteen lives by that point. Easy mode obvs, but you can't really have a special in a shmup that lets you immediately power up every time you power down, that's Game Genie stuff.
  • Still a banger for me though. I quite like Ladybug as developers. I thought Record of Lodoss War Deedlit in the Wonder Labyrinth (I'd be amazed if I've got that title right tbh) was a lovely looking game. So many good Meteoidvanias these days the gameplay didn't really stand out enough imo, but it was solid with some neat ideas. They did another one I quite liked too iirc.
  • Touhou Luna Nights. Another bitesize Medtroidvania. Enjoyed that. Turns out I got the title for Lodoss bang on, go memory.
  • Having said the upgrade is broken, I had a go through Arcade - Normal (which I think is the equivalent of Story - Hard). No issues until cube boss near the end of the game where I lost all my lives.

No idea how to recover once I'd died.

I think the game is good but it just lets itself down.
  • I've decided I'm getting Gunvein next. I've enjoyed the demo and it controls really nicely. Just need another Steam sale now.
  • Gunvein's great, as is Ganablade from last year. I dunno, maybe I give indies like these a pass on the odd issue that would rile me with a classic shmup - and they're certainly not in the same league - but I'm just glad there are still studios committed to the genre.
  • Still waiting for this:

The first game was a run & gun, so it's a departure, but it was so good I trust the devs here.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Dig the soundtrack.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Slain and Valfaris are very metal games.
  • Yeah I'm well up for that. In a sale that is.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Looks the biz.  I'm often lukewarm on hori shooters. Not sure why as I usually enjoy them when I try them.  They tend to be heavier on memorisation than tates.  There's often only one way to tackle sections.

Tates feel is as if there is more room for improv even though getting a route down in later levels is the only way.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Speaking of hori.  The old school mental madness that is Darius..

• Just watched a Jaimers 2-all of Drainus.

He guards/absorbs at one part of the cube boss. I have considered since if that is what I should have been doing - it's just the cubes are a different colour and obviously a completely different shape to bullets, so it's not obvious at the time.

I should be able to continue that game so I can test it out.
  • I didn't twig that you could absorb them either.  I suppose they're not red, which was the rule from the tutorial iirc, but didn't think to try.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have heard good things about Drainus - I just don't have the bandwith to deal with it and the 1CCs I want to achieve. It would be yet another distraction.
  • A rerelease/upgrade/DLC drop for Devil Engine has rekindled some hope that it'll end up in a sale at some point.  There are maybe 5 games on my EShop wishlist that have literally never had a discount of any description, and this is the one that bothers me the most.  It's got 50% off written all over it, but refuses to budge ever.  I could just pay £17.99 but it's a war now.  

Plus I've read that it's brutally difficult so I wouldn't get my money's worth at full whack.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

Good article about trying to get into shmups
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Still waiting for this: The first game was a run & gun, so it's a departure, but it was so good I trust the devs here.

Colour me intrigued.  Was deciding what to play next on my Switch last night.  Remembered this post on the forum and decided to start Valfaris.  Liking it so far, although not setting the world alight.  Just need to play on big screen, playing handheld didn't feel great, some things look tiny.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I saw you.  Gave you a shout out in the Switch thread.  It'll drip feed some systems and abilities and you'll either end up loving it as much as me....or not.  It's the 2D best run & gun ever imo (*runs, before he gets gunned*).
  • Not taking that bait... 

Devil Engine is worth a go. Maybe. A simple enough but well designed game that feels good to play, it's very pretty, has a great soundtrack, but it's hard as nails. Also remember a couple of separate controversies about various people involved not getting paid. I think that all got sorted though.  

davyK wrote:
    Good article about trying to get into shmups

And that's a great vid, Davy. Angel at Dusk is another cracking indie shmup, and its tutorial is kinda like the shmup version of Killer Instinct 2013's tutorial - it doesn't just teach you to play the game, it teaches you to play the genre.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It does look great. Fancy it myself and Gunvein.
  • Cancelled DDP DOJ order from Play-Asia, taking the piss now.  Just going to eBay it for an extra £10 or so.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have seen DDP DFK going for cheaper than I paid for it on ebay.
  • You can absorb through the pink cubes on cube boss - just tried it. Add that as another stupid design decision. As in, not having a clue you should be able to do it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!