I Wanna Get It On With Jahbulon : The Shmups/STG Thread
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Might be interested in a JP-DC. Have several JP games and use a boot disc to play 'em. Would be nice to have JP console.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Sweet.  No idea about price but I will also need to get it out of the loft and check it and test it first.  Do you have a price in in mind?  Can take it to DMs if you want.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    No idea what that would cost. I'll check eBay sold listings. Let me know what comes with it, whether it's boxed etc so I can suss that out. Happy to go DM.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    If someone wants to do an elf and sell off some Dreamcast stuff (regardless of region), I get first dibs.
    How about a Japanese Dramcast?  Or a UK controller (still in box)?

Depends on prices more than anything, but yes, I'm interested.

As for the controller, probably not. I have a few already, including boxed. If it's a non-standard colour, then we're talking...
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I'll get it outta the loft sometime soon, test it, and let you both know.  Shall give Davy first dibs as he responded quicker?  Dunno.  Fight it out, GO!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It would be an indulgence if I'm honest. I only have 4 JP games. I'd be happy with a console only deal but if you have all the gubbins you would need to sell it altogether. Will see what you have first.
  • Oh I only have the console! Sold all my DC (and Saturn) games ages ago. :(
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have seen JP console only sold listings at £50-70. But I've still to do a proper analysis. If it hasn't been modified to work with the UK power supply then it will need a step down transformer too. I have one of those for my JP Saturns already.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Shall give Davy first dibs as he responded quicker?

Sounds fair to me.
    davyK wrote:
    I have one of those for my JP Saturns already.

Tell me you're a shmup player without telling me you're a shmup player.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Speaking of which. Been ages since I booted the Saturn up.

saturnShmups.jpg
  • I have a PAL Saturn to sell if anyone's interested. Among other things actually - reminder to post list later.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I keep my PAL machine because I have some PAL games that I like to keep for nostalgia/collecting purposes. Also use it for the few games that got proper PAL optimisation.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I have a JP-N64 going spare (I have 2 of them and the one I use is RGB SCART modded). Comes with an adaptor for playing US games if anyone is interested..  Will work with a PAL N64 power supply.
  • Lovely Saturn collection!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have other genres but shmups is the reason I got the console.  The Parodius games were on my hitlist first as I loved the SNES port and wanted to upgrade. Wish I had picked up a few more shooters in the 00s before the prices got stupid.  A couple of them (Darius Gaiden and Layer Section) are kind of redundant now but I've no notion of selling.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    DC imports consist of :

Cosmic Smash (JP)
    Sports Jam (JP)
    Sega Tetris (JP) - rock hard arcade port with lovely blue sky graphics.
    Tetris 4D (JP) - part of my Tetris habit. Very bare bones - doesn't even save to VMU but it's pretty much just a 4P versus game.
    PenPen Triicelon (JP)  - have it in PAL but no 60Hz and the JP version was dirt cheap
    Typing of the Dead (US)
    Hydro Thunder (US) - PAL version has no 60Hz

Don't actually have many DC shmups - Have Gunbird 2, Gigawing and Bangai-O (if that counts). Have Sturmwind for it too.  But any official games like Under Defeat cost a bloody packet. Fancy Gigawing 2 though - I burned a copy to check it out and it's a nice game to play but I'd like an official copy.
  • Heh those are the exact same four DC games/shmups I had before I sold them!  Didn't have that many Saturn ones, just the big hitters like Battle Garegga, RSG and Souk.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    They were the only ones we got in PAL land. :(

Gigawing 2 JP seems to be cheaper than the US version. It's just about in the range I could justify to myself.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Fuck yeah, Fantasy Zone.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Saturn was the first to get an accurate port and it's still one of the more affordable shmups for it.  What's amusing is that the options are highly geared toward making the game easier. It's a tough game. Hidden in among the menu is a soundtrack that features delightful vocals and there's a karaoke mode too.

• Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    ... and there's a karaoke mode too.

So Japanese. Lovely.
  • I continue to be hooked on Ketsuipachi. Got just under 95bn early on tonight, missing out on the second extend at 10bn. Then just about when I was gonna pack it in for the night, managed a nice run and a decent score on stage 1, followed by only one life lost on stage 2, and then got the 10bn extend as well as stage 3 extend and died on the boss, almost had her. 14bn score.

Stage 3 seems so random to me, I wish there was a good practice mode like with the M2 games. :(
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Which port you are playing? I have the Steam port and it has a decent practice mode - you can select each stage and route in BL Arrange.  No save states but you can practice a stage at a time.   I have the Switch port as well but I haven't really put any time in on it other than a quick boot up to check it out.
  • Switch. There is a training mode and it’s ok. I’ll have to use that, just not as user friendly.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Switch port seems to be a straight port of the PC version. Similar to the 360 port. Same as Mushi. 

The training modes are pretty much of that time. Save states are a more modern feature. It's a pity they haven't been upgraded but that's an M2 thing as you say.
  • Yo Davy, is Ray'z Arcade Chronology an M2 port/release?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah. Quality stuff.
  • Got the JP DC down from the loft. Opened it up and was surprised to find a mint copy of Rez in there! Along with some copy discs - don’t remember, but I guess it’s a modded DC?!

Have a step down transformer too. Will test it out tomorrow maybe.
  • Looking for Radiant Silvergun for Switch on eBay. Seems to generally be £65 or so? Beggars can’t be choosers, but that seems high.

Reminds me. Nin-Nin games have DDP DOJ on PS4 as well as Rolling Gunner; I should order them pronto. Have over £500 from eBay incoming in a couple of weeks (I’ve chosen monthly payout rather than immediately).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!