I Wanna Get It On With Jahbulon : The Shmups/STG Thread
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Gaiden is the highlight of the series for me.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Where do I preorder the special edition?!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I remember the first time I saw a Darius cabinet - a multi-screen behemoth.  Was quite an experience.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Where do I preorder the special edition?!

One to watch for on Play Asia.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Aight, cheers.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    While eyeing up Shikhondo, Play Asia recommended this. Fair warning, the voice acting is from the "I want to eat my own fingers to have something less painful to do" school.

Looks interesting. The side-of-the-screen-swapping mechanic reminds me a lot of Ikaruga's polarity schtick, if a little more literal. Anyone know if it's much cop?
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I saw it and decided I can’t just buy up everything, does look interesting but I don’t think there are any reviews around.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Saw that Ketsui Deathtiny (lol) is available to preorder.  Never played Ketsui but I gather it's well regarded and always pops up in shmups.org's lists.  Worth £50 plus shipping and possible customs charges though?  Hmm, there's nothing else this year that I'm interested in so I could convince myself.
  • Seems steep but it is fantastic and shmups do tend to hold their price if not go up so you could always sell afterwards if needed. Slight hesitation on my part as it says DLC on front... will we need a Japanese account to download and use, whatever that DLC is?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Picked up a couple of nice looking Megadrive shooters today after trading some stuff in.

Thunderforce III and Zero Wing.

Zero Wing has the infamous Engrish translation that features "All you base are belong to us"  Genesis didn't get this - so the PAL version is the one with the dodgy text. :)

Boxed with manuals. Will post a wee pic later.

edit:
    41205963_1404309483046617_8199014446903853056_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=9380c6e319145bec776d22f16cb99621&oe=5BF46447
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Oh....A sealed copy of Radirgy Generic for my JPN Gamecube was on the doormat too when I got home this evening.

Haven't booted it up yet but it looks interesting with its cell shaded look. Any opinions? I'm led to believe each console got a slightly different version.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have been playing a bit of Thunderforce 3 and I love it. It's lightening fast and old school tough. I got rid of TF4 a while back as it was the PAL version so played with borders and it had a 50/60Hz check in it. So my thinking was to pick up the NTSC version at some point (or as part of the Saturn packs).

Turns out it plays with borders in NTSC too unless I'm mistaken and the PAL version was speed optimised so I should have kept it.

However I feel that TF3 is superior - feels more solid and I prefer the enemy design. A lot of TF4's minor enemies are hard to make out. I might still pick it up but TF3 will keep me going for the time being in that department.

Booted up Radergy Generic and it seems to be a nice game. Played about with the shield mechanic which requires you to stop firing and eat bullets. Quite compulsive. Not sure exactly what I'm doing yet though.

There's a score attack that is locked - probably requires me to finish the game. There's a Manpuko mode available from the off - not sure how that's different - it usually means it's tougher or has suicide bullets but haven't noticed it. Nice game but I need to get a better cable for my JPN Gamecube so I can get s-video. I can only use this console with my SONY LCD. The picture is OK but with a game like this which is detailed it would benefit from a bit more clarity. Sadly it won't work with my CRT as it only works with RGB SCART NTSC sources and I was surprised to learn JP Gamecube doesn't have RGB SCART. I could play it with my PAL GC or Wii via my Freeloader but I hear it won't save that way. Maybe I should install the Homebrew Channel and try playing it that way. Don't think it has a 480p mode though so it might not be worth the effort. It does have a TATE mode which makes the game clearer but not in a position to rotate my LCD at this point in time.
  • Will get Thunderforce for Switch! Once I can afford to splurge on a memory card first. 

Still no news on my Shikondo from Play Asia. 

And Mushi HD on 360 Ltd Ed has shown its head on eBay at £1 starting bid! I’m gonna get bidding. Hopefully won’t end at silly money.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yikes.

I think I need to take the plunge and get a Switch.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Splendid new episode of Shooting Weekly - Gigawing.

Shows a 2 player co-op deathless 1CC. But the highlight is the 1 player 1CC achieved without using the reflect shield (!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaEnwdluRuo
  • Shikondo finally posted by Play Asia. Should be here soon. Then I’ll give it a whirl. I’ll probably compare it to Mushi and declare its shit.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Strange, I ordered from them and my copy ended up being sent back at some point on its journey, they then shipped another copy out before the first one had even made it back to them so there wasn't much of a delay.  I played through it once then sold it for what it cost me.  Felt very low rent once the visual impact wore off, which didn't take long.  It may well reveal hidden depths once you dig into the scoring but I certainly wasn't going to find out.  The bosses were cool at least, some fun patterns in there but the stages themselves have very little going on (on the normal difficulty) and just the same few enemy types across all of them.  Sorry...You might end up loving it, who knows?

Should be getting Ketsui soon so hopefully I'll take to that.
  • Wrong thread.

GigaWing is always good though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Sampled some Ketsui via MAME - seems to be a marvellous game.
  • Ketsui is great. Haven’t ordered it yet. 

Shikondo doesn’t sound promising then. :(
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Had a proper session with Ketsui last night after reading these posts.

I'm using shmupMAME on my elderly PC which seems to handle it fine.  Gosh - this really is a nice game. I'm still trying to figure it out but it has the usual Cave shot/laser set up with 2 ship configurations to choose from.

Not sure if bombing can be used with the laser a la DDP but there does seem to be a difference.

There is medal collecting and their values appear to be linked to how close you are to an enemy but not entirely convinced if that's the case as there seems to be other factors. Auto collect is linked to shot which is the usual Cave mechanic too.

It looks nice but it sounds stupendous. The boss fight tunes are superb.

Bullet patterns (at least early on) are enjoyable - and not too fast. I prefer tighter patterns with a lower overall speed at my age. :) So far there are more aimed shots than patterned and as I really like tap dodging and cut backs it suits me better than other games.

It's a bit tougher overall than the usual Cave game - still can't beat the lvl 2 boss on my 1st credit which is something I can usually do after a few games.

Will keep at this. Will be interesting to hear what the modern ports add.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    If anyone ever asks what a hardcore game is just send them this link....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WIWjAX4vTM
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Bashed through to level 3 on my first credit on Ketsui last night.

Didn't get to mid boss though - will be interesting to see if the spike comes after that as it doesn't kick in at the start of level 3.
  • You guys get it from Play-Asia?  Did downloading the DLC work?
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Amazon for me, Davy's on MAME.  Thanks for the thoughts, Davy, sounds promising.
    Scanning the shmups.org thread suggests that the DLC is on the disc.  I won't get it til Monday as I missed the delivery.  What is the DLC, some extra modes?
  • If some of the prices on eBay are anything to go by for the limited editions of Shikhondo, I should be able to make some money on it! Really not that good, huh?
  • If only we could have a Saga remake but I think Sega lost the code?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!