I Wanna Get It On With Jahbulon : The Shmups/STG Thread
  • Yeah, I've never been here before, although I would say that, wouldn't I?

Happy to dox myself if it'll help everyone relax.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/_clippa_/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/clippa
    https://www.reddit.com/user/clippa79

You'll have to wait for my dental records, but I can get them.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Hold on - this person actually plays games instead of just posting about them on here. Has 1CCs and everything.

Definitely not an alt..  :)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Playing some more Darius Gaiden on Saturn today. Have moved over to stick control with no issues which is unusual; but then I find hori-shooters better with sticks as a rule.  Have my level path selection set now for the easiest 1CC I can find. (This game has an Outrun style path selection scheme) Got to the last boss today but screwed up with a couple of daft mistakes. Will manage it during the week I hope..

Anyhow - I have also been watching some YT playthroughs and the variety of difficulty on offer here by selecting different paths is really quite incredible. Some bombless runs show obscene boss patterns that anyone with any sense to bomb would never see.

It makes me wonder about the wisdom of developing an arcade game with this much variety and depth of challenge. I couldn't see anyone going back often enough to see half of what's on offer here - esp. in the West.

And I find it hard to believe that even in Japan someone would get to see everything without using save states in an emulator - especially with the more difficult bosses. But maybe I'm under-estimating the devotion of 90s arcade players? It's hard not to see this game as a developer indulgence - as admirable as that is - no way this game could have made any sort of return even with a small dev team.

But then - I read about the DG Extra edition which has an upgraded weapon system and rearranged bosses and levels - and if you play a single player game as P2 you get to play all the levels in sequence. So it must have had quite a following at the time to justify an enhanced release.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Darius Gaiden is doing my loaf in. Getting to the last level but too many idiotic mistakes.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    1CC-ed Darius Gaiden

Normal diff, JP Saturn version. Auto rapid fire on (too old for that crap - shmups.com accept that setting).

5,963,150 on this path which I reckon is the easiest.  A-B-D-H-L-Q-V
  • Nice.

I've been playing some Raiden V recently on PS4. I completely suck.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Will try to record a run through MAME now. Always like to have proof of these things (even to myself!) 1CCs are rare for me :)
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yes Davy, well bloody done you
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh. Did it again in MAME this time (only 4.5m though - made a lot of mistakes and you get a 1m point bonus for every ship you have left at the end)  so I have an inp file now. Will prob ghetto record a playback and stick it on my youtube channel.

A no-miss run is within my grasp I reckon. Would need to plan my bomb usage though. There's a boss called Neon Light Illusion (4th level in my route) that you really need to bomb - uses at least twp - and then I'd need to have enough for the last boss as insurance.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Was tinkering a bit with Radirgy Generic on GC last night (testing my new CRT out with my consoles).  I like the cel shaded look which surprises me as for a shooter I didn't think it would be to my tastes.

I've never spent any real time with it. Does anyone know what's going on in it?

If you stop firing a front facing shield appears after a second letting you reflect bullets and they seem to be sucked up into the status area - I suspect either filling up a meter or upping a multiplier or a bonus - but there is no visual clue as to what is happening.I think each console (DC, PS2) got a slightly different variant on the game too which adds to the mystery.

EDIT: It seems the game's name is related to the console. So the it's the same game but each port gets a different extra mode. Cute.
  • Grats davy on the 1cc! I just put the game in inspired by your posts and not getting anywhere.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Follow my path - I'm convinced it's the easiest. And get the auto rapid fire activated. If you don't do that it will be hard to make progress hammering on the fire buttons. Right from the off there are some pretty durable enemies such as those mid-sized blue crayfish-like enemies.

On Saturn there's a keypress sequence to activate auto rapid fire. There's a rapid fire setting for DG in the version of shmupMAME I have. There's also a official DG ROM with the autofire around too.

I really like the mid boss capture feature - shoot that orb until it detaches. Then pick it up and the mid boss turns around and starts helping you :)  The skill is getting the orb detached before killing the mid boss because they can go down without too many hits.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    No missed up to the last level tonight on DG (playing on Saturn again because it looks gorgeous on the CRT).  Had picked up both 1ups. Would have meant a 5m bonus if I had completed the game. 

I 2-bombed Neon Light Illusion leaving me with 3 - but I ended up going into the last level with no bombs.

You get 3 with each new life so at worst I thought I'll lose 1 life and then use the bombs to beat the final boss. 

Then royally screwed up - didn't even get the 1CC
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Here's the recording of my shmupMAME DG 1CC.

Lots of mistakes. My Saturn run was better but no recording so here is this one instead. I'll be working on this until I get a run I'm happy with.

https://youtu.be/Sg0hKPcean0
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Ketsui topped the poll at this year's shmups.com vote.

It's always been top 5 but never #1 before. Rerelease probably gave it the nudge.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    And Zero Ranger sneaked in at 25. Nice.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Tried Darius Gaiden Extra last night.

It's an official hack with auto rapid fire and the levels all mixed up. Apparantly the power system has been tweaked. Some later levels are easier than early ones. Level A kind of throws you in at the deep end - definitely one for experienced players.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Still enjoying Darius Gaiden. I'm trying to do a no-miss run.

I have also learned that one can take too many main weapon power ups - not because of rank management but because the most powerful setting for dealing with bosses is a few levels below the maximum. There's a visual clue - when the wave weapon gets a set of 2 of the white bullets you start the game with then your main weapon is optimal.

You need to avoid powerups once you have the orange wave with these. I'm at the optimal level at 11 minutes in my recording above. I pick up 2 power ups just before the boss that I should have avoided.

This then of course makes the game force you into gymnastics trying to dodge powerups which invariably causes screw ups.

Have also been playing with some path variations. It isn't a good idea to stray onto level M...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Playing some Phoenix in between Darius Gaiden runs. Was a real arcade favourite back in the day. Broke 20K which was pleasing but I'm pretty sure I've scored a fair bit more than that in the past.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Get in.

Finished Darius Gaiden with 1 miss - 7.7m score now.

Captured 4 minibosses and had 2 bombs at the end.

Have an inp file of it so I'll probably record it ghetto style and YT it. :)

dariusg1CC.png
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Thought this was an April fool - but apparantly not?

https://rtypefinal2.com/

Crowdfunding call though so unlikely.
  • Grats on the DG Davy, will watch a run if you YT it (y)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have been toying with Samurai Aces (aka Sengoku Aces) on smart phone.

It's enjoyable but ultimately annoying as touch just isn't good enough for this sort of thing. Good for when I'm sitting in the car waiting to pick up one of the daughters though.

I still have the PS2 port of it which has a nice TATE mode. But I also tried out Tengai (aka Sengoku Blade) on shmupMAME and I rather like it. Might make that my next 1CC attempt.
  • Got that on Switch. Tight wee game.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Just realised I have Tengai/Sengoku Blade for PS2 as well. In my pile of shame. Even in PAL the PS2 got a clutch of nice ports courtesy of 505 games. Has a 60Hz mode and high score saves (things you couldn't take for granted then with shmup ports).

Samurai Aces on PS2 is bare bones but the Tengai port was given a practice mode that lets you pick a level to cane with an option for 1st and 2nd loop difficulty.

Looks great on my CRT :)  And my PS1 Asciiware stick which I also dug out and have never used before is actually quite nice and works with the PS2.  :) :)

shmupMAME is better for practice with save states obvs.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Tried Taito Legends version of Darius Gaiden last night. Despite the Legends disc letting me select 60Hz at boot up I'm not convinced DG uses that setting. It felt slow. No auto rapid fire option either without which it becomes an RSI slog. Got about half way through but my hands were killing me.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    PS2 Samurai Aces (Sengoku Aces) has the practice mode too.  It also has a TATE mode as it's a vertical shooter. Nice port. Lets you set the order of the first 4 stages or have them as random. A pile of difficulty levels too. Same with Sengoku Blade.

Not as good as the modern PS4 / Switch ports but still nice to have. They might be worth a few bob to collectors as they aren't easy to come by.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Just found out I have 5 ps2 shmups that are worth about £100 each. World has gone mad. Pretty sure mame will do them fine. Will keep them though.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!