Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Loaded up Nex Machina last night for the first time. Seems fun!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Are there 5 levels or 6? Can’t remember. I used to be able to get to the bit with the rotating lasers on level 5 or 6. Always fucked me, that bit. Lots of popcorn enemies AND giant lasers to avoid.

5 levels.  Level 5 is the one with the "laser wheels". Totally mental. Can probably be learned rote if you don't want to hyper and bomb your way past them but a nightmare.

There might be a TLB but that's probably after a 2nd loop - hard to comprehend how much more manic that would be.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Ah that’s where I used to be able to get up to. Long time ago.

TLB is Hibachi and yeah you have to do second loop and all sorts to trigger it.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I struggled putting the shmup specific emulator together, but did sort myself out with launchbox, brilliant bit of kit, just need to play stuff more often. Whilst I don't post here as often as I should I do read all the posts and love you keeping my fave genre alive, cheers Davy
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    :)

I use shmupMAME on my old PC - gives me access to enough good uns for now:

DDP
    DDP DOJ  (and BL)
    Battle Garegga
    Ketsui
    Gigawing
    Kingdom Grand Prix
    Espgaluda
    194X  etc.
    Guwange
    Tengai

I'll keep on posting.
  • Hex Machina so best.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I really don't think 2nd loops are for me....life is too short.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Actually I have few nice ones on Steam I really need to spend some time on too at some point. ZeroRanger is rather nice and my PC monitor is mounted on a rotateable stand now for TATEing.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Hex Machina so best.

Looks great but I'm in two minds about twin sticks. Really liked Smash TV and GW but haven't got on with much else.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Should record some Cannon Spike runs. Lovely game that deserves a pile of attention.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I love twin sticks, Bangai-O initially, but there's so much else in that game. Also Everyday Shooter, a beautiful love letter from someone who so obviously adored the genre
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Nex Machina is amazing. Love it.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Bangai is a great one....seems I like 'em more than I realised
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Played some more DFK and getting better. Had some real focussed practice on level 3 - starting to get the feel for a path now and id-ing those big enemies that I'll get cancels with - there are a few really tight spots were the cancel kicks in JUST in time. :)

Tried Bomb style and it feels just a bit harder because the firepower is lower - it will be a good step up after clearing with the strong style

ALso tried the Power style which has only 1 bomb in stock and it's only auto. Tough way to play - for the pros only I suspect. For a lark I went back to novice mode and tried the Power style. Novice really is set a lot easier than 1.5 - only really noticed it going back. But the power style is still a challenge even on Novice. Not sure it would be a good idea but maybe playing the power style through novice first will help learn the new paths you will have to take with it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Some more level 4 runs last night getting to the boss but it was late (watching Glastonbury) and the game beat me up.

So just for fun I tried playing with the A and B ships with differing success. Will be sticking with C.

Also gave 1.51 a wee try. It seems you go onto the Ura loop by default. I'm guessing you need to achieve the target to go onto it on v1.5 to NOT go on it on 1.51.  :)   It also seems to allow longer chains - not sure what is going on there.

Back to 1.5 with C strong.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Took a bit of a break and went back to classic DDP on MAME thinking my DFK antics would improve my game.

It hadn't.  I was woeful.

Wondering if the auto-bombing of DFK is making me lazy. Hmmmmm.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Just took delivery of Kingdom Grand Prix for Saturn.

I've messed about with it a bit on MAME and liked the racing/shooting concept but my collector gene started twitching as it's one the more affordable games on Saturn. The Saturn version has some extra modes inc. a secret mode that allows you to dispense with the racing part of the game.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Had a brief daliance with Kingdom Grand Prix. It's quite an interesting little game. The main play feature seems to be a trade off between speed and firepower. The longer you hold down A the faster you go but you only produce bullets by tapping A which kills the speed.

You don't die by colliding with enemies - only bullets - so the trade off is fair and requires a bit of skill. It feels a bit chaotic because collisions with enemies produce bouncing and as each level is structure like a kind of track with narrow sections you have to be considered when it comes to argy bargy.

High scores aren't saved but there's a save file produced so I think it saves best times. After level 1 you can select from 2 tracks for each subsequent level with a choice of 3 for the last (6th) level so there's a nice bit of replay value.

Replay is also helped by the fact there's a good selection of craft that have quite different weapon sets.

The game has a GP/ karting Cup like structure with scores for placing in a points table that is separate from your game score. There's a 2nd loop and I suspect there's a target cup score to gain access to it.

There's a TATE mode and a good looking yoko mode (called Saturn mode) which is nice.

Anyhow it's back on the shelf and I got back to DDP Res 1.5 arcade.  Practicing level 3 and getting a good route down for that. The more one plays this and starts to learn the levels the more one appreciates that Cave level design.  It seems that real aggression is required - you need to be placed up the screen in places as the laser is more powerful close up and you have to get rid of the large enemies before they fill the screen with bullets.  It's also very enjoyable the way each level has references back to DDP wrt their structure and where large and bullet cancelling enemies appear.  Very pleasing.
  • Vasara collection coming to everything, physical release preorder (regular and collector's edition) soon available from Strictly Limited Games. Looks interesting and I believe they have never before been released on home consoles.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    4 player modes - NICE.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nice work there @Tempy.

I note your spelling of the "s" word. I tend not to have a c in there.  :)

Story for me has always been an irrelevance but I see what you mean in your article. A shooter story is best conveyed in the ways you talk about - having it embedded within the mechanics of the game itself does add a certain something to a game.  The DDP series' nonsensical ramblings add to its sense of fun.

I have dipped my toe with Zero Ranger and really enjoy it but I've set it aside as I try and concentrate on 1CC-ing DDP Res 1.5 arcade mode. My PC is up on the blocks at the minute otherwise I'd be back at Zero Ranger after reading this.  Its enjoyment is enhanced by my rotatable monitor stand.

I'm also a huge RType Final fan and your writing is nudging me to booting that up instead as I have still a lot left to do in that - not even sure I completed the "final" level with any ship. I played it lot until I unlocked Mr Heli. I really need to get back to it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    the brilliant Zero Ranger

Oh, I thought this game was Zer Oranger, and previously assumed it was a German farming sim
  • davyK wrote:
    Nice work there @Tempy.

I note your spelling of the "s" word. I tend not to have a c in there.  :)

Story for me has always been an irrelevance to me but I see what you mean in your article. A shooter story is best conveyed in the ways you talk about - having it embedded withing the mechanics of the game itself does add a certain something to a game.  The DDP series' nonsensical ramblings add to its sense of fun.

I have dipped my toe with Zero Ranger and really enjoy it but I've set it aside as I try and concentrate on 1CC-ing DDP Res 1.5 arcade mode. My PC is up on the blocks at the minute otherwise I'd be back at Zero Ranger after reading this.  Its enjoyment is enhanced by my rotatable monitor stand.

I'm also a huge RType Final fan and your writing is nudging me to booting that up instead as I have still a lot left to do in that - not even sure I completed the "final" level with any ship. I played it lot until I unlocked Mr Heli. I really need to get back to it.

I pretty much agree with you but I do think there are games that use the format in a specific way, but it’s not a great many of them. I dunno how the C got in there, it’s probs a style guide thing as it’s not how I write it!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Had a quick blast on RType Final, thanks to @Tempy's splendid article.

I had forgot just how much I loved that game. And I can't account for why I abandoned it after 11 hours of play with a pile of stuff left to do. I had played up to level 6 and unlocked a hefty amount of ships. Some other game probably distracted me - I got a PS2 to play RType so I was then probably rifling through its library.

It's the first time I've played on a CRT too. I think that despite having component, the PS2 is best served with RGB SCART on a CRT. I suppose if I had a CRT monitor it would look great hooked up with component.

I'm of a mind to pick up a JPN PS2 as it opens up quite a bit of scope for shmups , not to mention the healthy JP PS1 library as well.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Followed RType Final with my other PS2 purchase reason. Gradius V

This (to me) still looks absolutely gorgeous. Still one tough game too. Absolutely glorious stuff and I would love to see what Treasure would do with Parodius in a modern machine.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have ordered a JP PS2. Also ordered a copy of Sega Ages Fantasy Zone for it - only £20 and will let me test the console when I get it.

I have a handful of JP PS1 shmups - Gradius Gaiden, Xevious 3DG and Space Invaders 2000. Fancy picking up Raiden DX as I've heard good things.

But I'm after fatter fish than that.

DDP DOJ , Espgaluda and Mushi are in my sights - and they seem half sensible (£50-£60 odd each).

Ibara looks nuts. £200 

Anyone here with a JP PS2? Looking recommendations. Even if non shmup. Fancy some more Sega Ages series entries like Space Harrier etc.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Damn it. Ordered DDP DOJ. £45.  Comes with a bonus disc superplay DVD.

I need to lie low for a couple of weeks and stop spending money.....
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Returned to self flagellation last night and DDP DFK on 360.

I decided to sit up real close to the TV. The way these things are supposed to be played. Even with a 50" inch screen sitting 8 feet back just isn't good enough.

Certainly helps with bullet navigation but it's almost overwhelming being that close up . Looks even more glorious. :)

Experimented with the red A ship (have been using blue C) and might swap to it.

Played a tiny bit of Super Fantasy Zone on the Megadrive yesterday too before Wifey crashed the party and got me to do house stuff.  Rock solid port but I prefer the original.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    New arrival....just need the console to play it on now... :)

opkjZk8.jpg

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!