I Wanna Get It On With Jahbulon : The Shmups/STG Thread
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    I played 1942 a lot as a kid as the local pub had it where my folks would go 3 or 4 nights a week. I got pretty good as I recall.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's a splendid game. Feels unique. I can't think of another game quite like it; even the sequels which went a bit more manic and introduced a health bar system to replace lives.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Scored 290K on 1942 last night. Pity I didn't do that when it mattered - only office scores count.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Back at Raiden III

Got a run to level 7 tonight (last level) and got deep into it. Scored just over 13m.

Got to level 6 with 2 lives. Lost a life but then I got the 1UP just before the level 6 boss. Screwed up on the first pattern of the boss which I still can't master and lost a life so hit level 7 with 1 life. I know I probably need to get there with 2 lives minimum for the 1CC and getting to the boss with no life loss.

Also scored 259K on 1942 in work today.

Getting closer.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Car crash Raiden III session last night. Harumph.

Topped the chart in work on 1942 though. 299K.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Got another run to level 7 this evening. 12m score.

Silly mistakes on the level 5 boss are hampering progress. Need to tighten up on that.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    20 minutes of gameplay that took 7 years to figure out.

DDP DOJ on PS2 - Death Label mode which is a 2 loop boss rush. Mental. 2nd loop here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8JBDyFC9BE
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    That gives me kittens just watching it - that level of bullet hell is just insane
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The mode is mad. You have to do it with 1 life to beat it.  The first loop has the 2nd loop patterns and it's 2nd loop has even harder patterns. Laser bombing the bosses heals them.

Fucking insane.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Had a mini shmup festival in work these last few days courtesy of MAME.

1942 ended today with my rival busting 300K with more or less his last game. He was 500pts off my 299K score on the level 8 boss and got hit - thinking it was game over - but had another life. Went on to hit 360K.

But we also had some R-Type and Phoenix. With a side order of Snow Bros for a change of genre.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Mildly tumescent, that's blody brilliant Davy

edit: I quite enjoy (have enjoyed) bullet hell games, but watchingnyo retreat through a field is amazing, I can;t do that for shit, inch my forward through the fire yeah, but when it comes to retreating for the next attck pattern, I go to ratshit, thanks for sharing
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah. The great players hardly move their ship around at all. All tiny adjustments. Rarely you will get a continuous sweeping movement in a superplay. I find it mesmerising to see a level of skill like that.

My issue is figuring out exactly where to look. I guess it's the same for most people.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Got ESP Ra.De on PS4 which is another thorough job by M2 with all the save states and training mode stuff you'd expect.  A 1cc seems doable, just got to get used to bombing.  You can earn the bomb energy back fairly easily as long as you're collecting a reasonable amount of scoring items.  Only thing I'm struggling with is locating my hit-box precisely in the busier moments.  You can make it visible but it's off by default so it feels like cheating.
  • Oh, is it out?! WHERE?!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    You can get it from Amazon Japan if you're quick.
  • OMG ordered THANKS!

WWWHHHOOOOO!!!!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Hmmmm... Why did I always think that was a hori Euro-style game? Looks sharp. It runs in MAME so that's the only I can play that at the mo.

The basic mechanic seems to be that you power up a bomb/style weapon by collecting tokens?
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    The basic idea is to hit enemies with the burst fire, which produces lingering explosions, then finish them off with the autofire.  You'll then get a multiplier equal to the number of burst-fire explosions touching the enemy +1 (up to 16x) which lasts a short time and applies to both kills and item pickups.  The multiplier time can be extended by collecting items.
    Once you hit the item limit, if your bomb meter is not full the number will start counting down and any enemies you kill before it hits zero will drop bomb refills.  The item limit starts at 200 then increases by 100 each time you do this but it's pretty easy to hit it.  Seems like a pretty low cost to bombing, I think you just miss out on the item drops on anything you kill.

Here's some helpful stuff from the shmups forum I have bookmarked:

Scoring thread
    Menu Translations
    World of Arcades:  see the links at the bottom for scoring and secrets.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    cheers. :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Caved in and bought DDP DFK on Steam . Pun unintended. Less than £10 in the sale so can't be bad.

I'm really only getting the BL Arrange mode as I aready have this for 360 which bafflingly doesn't have that mode.

Interesting to see how it runs on my wheezy PC - seems OK as long as it runs windowed.

Original Mushi is a bit chuggy full screen too - maybe there are tweaks I need to do.

I do need to get a new PC though.

edit: added the FPS display and it looks like I get 60FPS running in a window.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Y'all here might like https://twitter.com/MoonLens_dev?s=09, out on the 22nd
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Dubs wrote:
    A 1cc seems doable, just got to get used to bombing.

Figured it out lads.  No need to learn the end boss if you have a million bombs:

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    What's the bomb bonus like at the end?

Survival runs are usually about resources - it's what prevented me from a gigawing 1CC. You need to get to the TLB with 2 lives so you can spam the git with reflects and bombs.  (I WILL get back to that). No missing up to level 6 would probably be good enough. That game is mean - no 1ups apart from a mercy one in level 4 if on your last life.

But if there's a sizeable bonus for bombs then maybe there's more to it once you get the survival down. Is there a 2nd loop?
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Bomb bonus is a million for a full bar, apparently, I assume it's proportionate to how much bar you have left.  There are no loops but there are higher difficulties available in the Custom mode.  You can also switch the order of the first three stages around in any mode so there are harder and easier versions of each.
    It's definitely an easier one to 1CC, no real routing needed until stage 5 where some of the big enemies can cause problems.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The first 3 stages can probably be ordered to get an easier route or higher scores then. A lot of Psikyo games have that and there are certain levels that are definitely better dealt with earlier. They are random in the arcade but console ports let you choose the order if you want. :)

Same with Gigawing actually. The order of the first 3 levels depends on the selected character though instead of being random.

Adds a lot of replay value. :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Played some caravan games on my SNES last night. Was trialling my new RGB SCART cable with SNES and CRT.

The game is called Caravan Shooting Collection from Hudson and it features 3 shmups that were used by them in national high score competitions in Japan in the 80s. These are the games that were used in the '85, '86 and '87 competitions.

Starforce, Star Soldier and Hector '87.

8 bit graphics with a slight touch up on the sound. Feels like a solid version of the NES originals as flicker is gone etc.

Hector '87 is the only game with actual caravan modes with 2 and 5 min options. Had some fun playing that - got to the boss in 2min mode but can't put it away before I time out. Will have another go tonight. :)

It's interesting to see how the games developed over the period of 85-87.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Me suffering trying to clear 2 min mode. The odd expletive is heard.

The really annoying thing is you have to beat the boss with enough time for the end of level jingle to play. Effing annoying.,..

• cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I love the fact that Samsung have finally caught up with what we all really want

"I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Oh I say.

They should have had a full on Futari spectacle for portrait mode though. :P)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Speaking of Futari - Futari 1.01 Ultra got played at GDQ this year.

Still looking for the footage - can only find reaction videos.  There were some moaning about shmups not being speedrun games.

Has to be good though - TGM got a lot of interest after its demonstration. TGM is a timed game though.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!