• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Raiden III on PS2.

It's considered a straight forward but tough game. shmups.com accepts high scores at the easy level which is what I'm ashamed to say I am playing.

I can deal with the game at default level up to level 5 - have done that in practice mode - but I want a run at easy first before seeing if I want to progress instead of moving onto something else.

I've posted a level 5 run earlier in this thread. Will repost what I have so far.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    An earlier level 5 run - made easier because I start it with the wide shot (score attack lets you pick which weapons you start the level with). I'm starting 5 with the blue laser now when practicing. Notice I screw up on the boss pattern which shouldn't be as hard as I am making it. I then pick up the troll green laser which is useless - but the rank drops because of the life loss and power down so the boss fight becomes pedestrian. 

Playing this on normal is the same patterns just bullet speed is upped. Their visibility is a problem with this game so memorisation is really needed at that point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvy25NntUI0
  • Crikey I find some of those bullets hard to see! There's a lot going on there.

Looks like you can cancel some enemy bullets by shooting them? Nice mechanic if so.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There are a few you can cancel - the oval shaped bullets that some of the bosses fire out.

The visibility probably isn't as bad as it looks here because of the recording but the explosions are similar colour to the bullets so you have to keep tap dodging and hope you don't get hit while flying blind after taking out a large enemy.

The ps2 port has a replay of an expert run but it includes some mad dodging and safe spot use that I doubt I could do without building up some muscle memory.
  • I watched some of an arcade run as well captured from source, and I still found the bullets hard to see! I think it's the big fan of player bullets being similar colour to enemy bullets, am sure you get used to it though.

Props to your efforts Davy, I love seeing someone on a personal journey making gains, keep us updated :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    You kind of know where the bullets are going to be after a while. But this game and I just do not get on. I was comfortable playing Gigawing right up to the final level which has a pile more bullets (though it does have a rechargable reflect to deal with them). Comfortable playing Darius Gaiden too - all the way through.

In Raiden III I just can't get comfortable with any level past 1 - and even then I can have close calls!!  But I'm determined to get an easy clear at least.  Despite not getting on with this game I am enjoying it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The "arcade" level is the default level + 1 in the Raiden III ports. Even the devs knew the game was set too hard in the arcade. There's an arcade level run on youtube and it's nuts - with bosses being point blanked in safe spots and insane aimed bullet speeds. The ship speed is low which makes the game even more unfriendly.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    More annoyance this evening but I need to know when to stop before busting the screen. I know what to do - it's execution now.

Anyhoo for a laugh I played a couple of levels at arcade difficulty tonight. Could handle the first three levels without too much bother - no lives lost but bombed on bosses a bit. btw there are TWO difficulty levels above that. :/

Then knocked the level back down to easy and tried double mode - 2 ships on one pad. Bit of a laugh. Was able to clear level 2 - got to level 3 boss. How anyone could do this at a higher level is beyond me - must be pure memorisation. Have seen Ikaruga runs done that way too and I can only assume it's down to pure muscle memory after humungous amounts of practice by talented folk.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh. Checking the shmups.com hi score tables for Raiden III - there are only 14 1-ALLs at arcade difficulty recorded.  4 recorded at normal - I suppose most people there consider Arcade the default. There is a table for easy too though only one score submitted.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Daily Pain.

Lots of level 5 and 6 practice tonight. Put together a decent run to end of level 6 but silly deaths all the way through.
  • I never used to practice individual levels tbh, I always thought I'd waste a good run if I did. That's a problem I know, and if I ever do go back to Ikaruga I'll for sure be practicing lvl4 in isolation.

6 levels in total on Raiden III?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    7 levels.

I've been able to no miss every level except 7 in practice. Have done that with 2 lives - that's because of the boss. So I know I have the means to do it. "Just" a matter of putting it all together in one performance. You start with 3 lives and there are 2 1ups in set places in levels 3 and 6. The 1up in level 6 can be tricky to get without losing a life resulting in no net gain.

The secret is to do enough focussed practice to get tough sections of levels down - but not at the cost of being used to doing 1 credit runs. That seems to be best for me re making progress and from what I hear over at shmups.com it's considered a good way too. I used saved states in MAME to practice Gigawing.

I usually do some focussed practice and then finish a session with a few full runs. If I lose a life early I restart but sometimes I will just carry on - often that makes you relax as you don't expect to do well.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Got to level 7 with 3 lives left after some lv 5 and 6 practice. However the life I had in hand had no bombs and was stuck with the laser. Messed up the pick up at the start of the level and didn't get the wide shot and i didn't recover. 

High score though and I know the end is in sight. The last boss is the final nut to crack....would mean I could get there with a life or two and have a chance. I have to spam it at the minute.

The level 6 boss needs a couple of bombs too.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Another level 7 run tonight.

But had got to level 6 with 4 lives intact and bombs in hand. Got to the final tricky section before the boss which I usually handle well and then made right bollocks of it - so ended up in level 7 with 2 lives - ending up at the level 6 boss with an underpowered wideshot instead of a laser meant losing at least 1 life in it before getting to level 7.

Sigh.

Still. Did some level 7 and 6 practice as well. Might make a final assault this weekend. Will see.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yet another level 7 run amongst other poor ones in a weird session last night. Another high score - 13.1m.

Have a few strategies ready for the final stretch of level 6 and the level 7 boss that should improve matters and make runs more consistent and require less bombs.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    More silly mistakes today...another level 7 run....another high score.  13.5m

Have lost my fear of the level 6 boss. Still need a bomb or two - 1 bomb if I do well - but it isn't a spam-a-thon any more.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Awful yesterday. Truly awful.

I have started to lose lives at earlier bosses. Reason being is I'm getting ahead of where I should be so my timing is out at bullet patterns. Switched off. Need to calm t.f.down and regroup.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Mind games.

Did a level 6 run last night but my timing is all out and I'm really twitchy. Lots of aborted runs and stupid mistakes.

Stuff in work invading my thoughts as I play too. That's a good thing when I'm playing certain games as it lets me detox (Tetris is good for that) but not this damn thing.

Think I'll take a break for a night or two and then get back to it.

This pain is actually what I love about this genre. Your head has to be right - that solo challenge of you against this creation requires an inner calm and confidence.Knowing when to take a risk, knowing when to just let go and let reflexes take over.

Knowing what's coming up and knowing when it feels right. It's only by putting in the hours and repetition that you really get to know a game.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    What a difference a day makes.

Sat down there and got to the last boss - last life with 2 bombs. If I had had another life I would have had the 1CC. Got to level 6 boss with 5 lives! Lost one on the boss. Then had a messy level 7.  

14.4m high score.

Followed up with some level 7 practice and I have a route through the 1st 2/3 of the level.

Need to press on.
  • We believe in you m8 :)

It's nice knowing when you have a theoretical 1cc and it's just a case of doing each bit together in a run. Frustrating too, mind.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Ordered Castle Shikigami 2 for my JP PS2.

I had this first in PAL but of course it was border city at 50Hz but I really liked it. Then I got it for my JP Gamecube complete with little figurine but that has no RGB, so, PS2 it is then for better eye candy - it's a detailed looking game so it will help. I could play the GC version on my Wii using a Freeloader and I'll get 480p that way so it's nice to keep that version though it isn't that convenient to play that way with my current setup.

I really like this one. It has the scrape mechanic which I enjoy and the range of characters on offer with really different weaponsets put replayability through the roof.  Using the secondary weapon is riskier but you get auto gold coin collection :). You also get a multiplier based on proximity to enemies when you take them out. Love the design and sounds too. Have my eye on Gradius III+IV too. I had that in PAL  - but it was butchered the same way Castle Shikigami 2 was.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Came close tonight.

Last boss again....so close. Had a spare life somehow!! I had over used bombs in level 6 which left me short. :(

On a previous run I lost 2 lives on level 2 - kept going and got to the level 6 boss with 3 lives but messed up.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Sounds like it's in the bag, don't get distracted!

A 2-All on Ketsui still seems pretty far off.  I can get deep into the second loop but never with enough resources.  Cleared the first loop with a single death today, meaning I had more than enough bombs to clear the second, but the jitters got the better of me, as usual.  My mental game sucks.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    It's horrible when the sweats start kicking in etc, as victory beckons and then drifts further away. Not that I'm near your level, haven't had a proper crack at a shmup for years now!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm only now starting to realise it's mostly a mental game.

Of course there are some achievements that are only possible with talent and dedication. A 2-ALL of anything is in that territory. And probably beyond me. But I believe that most games can be 1-ALLed with dedication and the right frame of mind. Cave games seem intimidating but they are quite generous with resources usually.

That's what I like about the genre.

Went ahead and ordered Gradius III + IV for my JP PS2. More for being a completionist than anything else. I have 1 and 2 for Saturn, Gaiden on PS1 and V on PS2. The series lost its way a bit with III and IV - they suffer from that syndrome that means a 1CC is gone once you lose a life. They play like really cruel coin eaters but maybe I will review that opinion.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Electric Underground guy is running an event, not sure of the schedule but Ketsui's on now:  https://www.twitch.tv/the_electric_underground

edit:  Schedule
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Good channel that. I comment on most of his videos. :)

The event includes a couple of versus sections where 2 players play side by side for high score.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Ah - missed you had a link to the schedule there @Dubs.

Missed the versus Ketsui run live but will be interesting to catch up on. There's a Futari Ultra one too - though I'd just like to see Original mode getting run.

Will be fun to see Gunsmoke get beat up.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Filled my Raiden III high score table up with level 7 runs - added another couple of them today.

Got to level 7 with 4 lives and screwed up on one run  :[

I need to do some really focussed level 7 practice to bring this home.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!