I Wanna Get It On With Jahbulon : The Shmups/STG Thread
  • davyK wrote:
    Carrying on with Raiden III. I've still do a no miss run of level 6 but improving all the time. Level 7 is quite managable up to the final boss which has one phase in particular which is nightmarish and isn't something that can be bombed through - at least I don't think so.

Sunk £18 on Steam and got Mushahimesama and the 1.5 DLC. Lovely game. I'm not convinced my old PC is entirely up to the task as it feels just a teeny bit off in places - I can't quite put my finger on it but I'm finding it very playable so no real complaint. Has a nice full screen TATE mode that I'm using my rotatable monitor stand with. Nice.

It's also indicating to me how much better I am at shmups now as I got to the level 3 boss on 1 credit on my 2nd attempt but level 3 does seem to be cliff with Cave games so will see how it goes. I don't want to lose my Raiden III momentum but this could be a nice palate cleanser.

3 shot types on offer and I seem to like the more focussed S type but early days as I've played a few credits worth. Its soundtrack betrays Futari origins and it's splendid and different enough to be equally enjoyable.

Did you ever finish Zero Ranger?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nope.

I was bouncing around too many games. So shelved it. I've a couple of other Steam shmups I reviewed for a website that need more attention. In Extremis and Xenoraid are excellent too.  (over at cubed3.com)

Too.Many.Games.

I want to get a Raiden III clear done and then I'll move on.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Painful playing Raiden III today. Just couldn't get it together and was playing like an arse clown.

Had a go at the Boss Rush but couldn't even get a run together on that. Did some more level 6 & 7 practice. Just one of those days. Booted up Asteroids Deluxe this evening and barely broke 20,000. Pitiful.

Just one of those days.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have been getting beat up by this game quite a bit. :(

A couple of runs to level 5 this evening and I've got to level 6 on Boss Rush but it's all a bit frustrating at the minute. It's mostly silly mistakes. The usual thing - losing a life with bombs in stock or picking up the damn green laser powerup by mistake.

Will be keeping at it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Raiden III pain continues. Usually getting to level 5 but with only one life left. Silly mistakes.

Meanwhile - haven't read this yet - but if it is true then holy shit...

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=65361&sid=5bd9250f6a3ffbb5e4cc3d2c3b7bb2f0
  • Whoa
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    DoDonPachi runs fine on MAME - but still - it's quite a thing.

Imagine a Cave mini.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Got to the final boss in Boss Rush mode last night. So that's something. But couldn't get a main game run together at all.

Set a few high scores in score attack for individual levels. Need to sharpen up and keep grinding.

I also tried cranking up to normal level as a tightener before dropping to easy again. It's noticeably tougher but managable in the early levels - but there is no way I could handle it later on.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Cave having an iOS sale.

Can't see how I could play a Cave game with touch but maybe someone here has?

https://apps.apple.com/app/id486756858?fbclid=IwAR3VKoAAmSCMcy9YTW7Ylu3wLa2ekIY1V3F08Mwz6j_dPsbOqEMB32YarZw
  • It actually works really well. There's room in the bottom of the screen for your finger and the added precision is pretty nice. Recommend trying if you have a device.
  • I used to love the Android versions of Espgaluda 2 and Mushi, but the peeps that did the ports / publishing (GGee or something) stopped supporting the games as newer versions of Android came out and the games soon became unplayable.  They were removed from the Play Store altogether a few years back. 

If I had an iphone or ipad I'd snap all of those up.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My phone is Android. I did enjoy a port of Samurai Aces/Tengai to the phone but the nagging and ads ultimately put me off.

My daughters have iPads - wonder if it would work on those.
  • Regarding the iPads, Deathsmiles and the DDP titles state that've been updated to work on iOS 11.0 and later, but last I heard Bug Princess 1 and 2 were still unusable on newer devices.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    To be honest I've enough shooters I haven't played enough without going down this rabbit hole!!!

:)

Between my Saturn, 360 and Steam I have a pile of Cave stuff.
  • Yup I feel that.  But honestly, I'd still be all over this offer if I had an iPhone or iPad.  The old Android versions of Espgaluda 2 plus Pinball Arcade were lunch break perfection back in the olden days.
  • DDP resurrection and Espgaluda 2 both have dedicated iPhone modes that work well. DDP maximum was designed specifically mobile and is great and also works well.
  • Holy fuck. I didn’t know some of them have been updated to 64-bit! I had deleted all off my iPhone. And didn’t update iPad to 64-bit iOS cos wanted to still play the Cave shmups. 

Rejoice!!!!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    'tis moot for me as I'm Android. It's unlikely I could prise the apples from my daughters' hands though the younger one's contract is up and she's looking to jump to Android....

Meanwhile re Raiden III - haven't played a stitch this week so my muscle memory is quite likely fucked. Back to the pain.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Played some Raiden III tonight. Did better than I thought - at least in score attack. Topped my level 3 and 5 best scores and no-missed those levels

Put a 1 credit run in to the level 5 boss and messed up bombing it otherwise I'd have got to level 6.

Cranked the difficulty up to arcade level (default + 1) and tackled levels 3,4 and 5. Could manage 3 and 4 OK but 5 is a real bitch at that setting. In all the levels the boss patterns are moving into real memory territory - I can't see anyone reacting consistently - even those with good skill levels.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
  • Wow! I’d buy immediately if I was a big big fan of the OST.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Got some nice single level no-miss runs on score attack last. Got a real nice level 5 run though there was one lucky dodge.

Still can't put together a full game run though - got to level 5 boss with all lives and totally screwed up. The worst thing that can happen is getting lumbered with the damn green laser once you have been hit. So easy to lose another life or two. Ho hum.  Got a nice level 6 performance in too. It's starting to become a really enjoyable level.

Did some level 7 practice. Think I have a plan for dealing with it too. If I can get to the level 7 boss with a couple of lives I can do it with bombing in the right place.

So if I get both 1Ups (the level 6 one is the dodgier of the two) I can lose 2 maybe even 3 lives before level 7 and still do this. Will keep at it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Beat some more single level scores tonight.

Tried a couple of runs. Screwed up the first and on the second I got to near the end of level 6 despite stupidly losing a life in level 2.  Scored my best though - 10.9m so there's that.

Then tried level 7 in practice mode and cleared it losing 1 life.

The 1CC is close.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Got to level 6 last night having only lost 1 life.

Got pranged in level 5 foolishly and I had a stack of bombs. The old familar story.

Screwed level 6 up royally - didn't even get to the boss. Scored >10m but an opportunity missed. :(
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Fuckity Fuck.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    gnnnnnnnn....... bites fist
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have a 1942 score attack challenge set up in work. One guy got 180K 2nd go which is damn good for being rusty.

I managed a 140K but I think I'm up against it. This guy was able to finish it when he was a student.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I squeezed a wee 197K score in on 1942 today - second placed guy went to 188K
    :)

I played a bit of original Raiden last night on MAME. It's always nice to go back to the original game of a series. It's easy to see the style of game's continuity in Raiden III. :)  If anything it is harder - tough getting past the 1st boss without losing a life!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Balls. My rival stuck in a 260K this afternoon. He got to the first giant plane with 3 lives so mopped up points after each life loss at the plane because the game sends you back to a checkpoint.

I've responded with a 220K.

Tomorrow is another day.

Some Raiden III this evening but playing like a penguin. I'd imagine 1942-ing would help as the enemy shot and movement AI is similar. Maybe not!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!