• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yup.

Castle shikigami for jp-ps2 arrived today. Complete with £11 import charge.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Castle Shikigami was released in PAL land via an el-cheapo release called Mobile Light Force with horrific cover art and a 50Hz butcher job.

It wasn't the prettiest game in the world and 60Hz helps a little but not a lot. It's still an enjoyable game but the sequel has far better graphics. This is blocky looking in places - the gold coins that you gather are particularly rough looking. It isn't without charm but not one for its looks. I ordered this one by mistake actually - thinking I had order #2 but that one is in the post too.

Still a splendid little game though - plenty of characters to play with that make a difference. And real scope for scoring.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    JP-PS2 Shikigami II arrived today. Lovely port. Looks and plays as good as I remember.

It's more like a Touhou game - depends on the character but you can really move up the screen and get into the face of enemies because of the slow dense bullet speeds. The scoring is horrifically addictive
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    More Raiden III pain. Feck sake. Shikigami shaped distractions haven't helped these past days - esp. as those games are all dense slow bullet clouds. It's amazing how it puts you out of kilter when you go back.

Those games are safely on the shelf. Need to ignore the fact that I now know about Gods Remastered , not buy that on Steam, and get on with Raiden III.   :)  This is where my weakness kicks in - getting distracted with other games.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Final phase of last boss again........ggnnnnnnnnn
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Almost beat me to the punch there, Davy.  Finally got my 2-ALL on Ketsui.  I did it!  Still just a survival run with a rubbish score but I'm really glad to finally get it, and I'm especially pleased with 2-4 as that boss is usually a three-bomber.  Wish I'd been able to put in a better performance on the final stage and boss but I wasn't about to risk it when I had enough bombs to guarantee a clear.  Taking a break for now, got other stuff to play but maybe the Ura loop can be next year's project.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Wow. Well done. A 2-All of any Cave game is quite a thing.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Thank you my friend!  Sounds like it's only a matter of time with Raiden.  You know you can do everything required but are just waiting for the stars to align.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah - had a painful session there. I've decided to try and figure out the level 6 boss as I'm too hit and miss with hit. Too easy to screw up an entire run on it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    This. Fucking. Game.

Hit Boss Rush and took out the final boss with a life to spare but can I do it in a run?

Can I fuck.
  • Yes you can mate.
  • And props to Dubs.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Despite finding this embarrassing (I'm playing on bloody easy too) I'm not giving up.

I'm pretty sure If I had save states I'd have this figured by now but hey ho.

It's that fecking bullet speed - almost all shots are aimed. There's the odd enemy that fires spreads but coupled with the popcorn's aimed shots and the slow ship movement its a nightmare.

Routes are important but because the ships respond to your movement you really can't rely on things being in exactly the same place. The slightest variation results in different enemy movements and shots. I really don't get on it with the style but I'm not giving up.

No bloody way.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.

1JbTIyS.jpg

Got to level 7 with all lives. No bombs in stock. Played a blinder on the level 6 boss - just threw caution to the wind and 1 bombed it - allowed me to get to half way through level 7 before I lost a life and down to 4. A couple of daft nervy mistakes but enough to fall over the line with my last life!

I have replays of level 6 and 7. I need to ghetto record those and post them.  :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Buzzing
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Just rewatched level 7- forgot I picked up the troll green laser that is a nightmare to manage but I got through the foothills of the level with it.

Two stupid losses on the boss - just plain nerves - I was bombing like a loon too even though the rank had dropped. Still. Got it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Thinking I need to get back to Gigawing now.....was so close - 2 years ago now. Jeez

Got to the TLB but had no resources would need to get there with 2 lives. That means losing 1 life getting there at most - no 1UPs in this beauty apart from the mercy one in level 4 if you are on your last life.

This was my last good run before the Asteroids Deluxe cabinet arrived.....level 4 onwards. The first 3 levels aren't all that interesting really once you learn them. No missed up to this point in the run.... the life loss at 5' 5'' cost me the 1CC here. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-zcrqFRZdw
  • FUCKING AYYYY!

I knew you could do it, Davy! Much props and seriously happy for you :)
  • Watch out for that AAA cunt though, the fucker's after your top spot :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    :)

I always put AAA in unless I top the chart. Lets me track my score progress.
  • Well done. One credit runs of any arcade game are hard, but especially SHMUP's.

Practice pays off.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I went back to playing on Normal - the bullet speed becomes mental at about level 4 out of 7. It becomes an exercise in pure memory with abuse of safe spots and point blanking. I don't mind a bit of that in games but this is just overload. Not really to my tastes.

The game has a score attack mode that tracks isolated level runs. That can be fun. I have cranked it up to Arcade level which is the default + 1 (even the devs must have realised its mental speed) and I can clear a few levels at that - but the boss fights become ridiculous. Expert runs show what is needed and I can't track the bullets moving at that point it's so fast. The PS2 port has 2 levels of difficulty above that!!

shmups.com accept high score submissions at Easy which speaks volumes - even though most over there play it at arcade level - simply beyond my comprehension.

There's a double mode you play with a standard pad which is great fun - controlling 2 ships at once but I can't take that seriously at my skill level.

I'll probably dip in from time to time on score attack and boss rush but I'm done with full runs of this.

The game is worth > £100 on the market but even so I don't want to part with it. Maybe if I got the JP version I'd sell it but I like keeping copies of shooters.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Of course I got Raiden IV on Steam for £1.60........
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Congrats Davy, has been a lot of fun reading your posts about you progress!
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yay, bloody made up for you, been brilliant watching you chipping away
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Great work Davy!
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Congratulations Davy, seems lockdown really helps with the 1cc's.  You've displayed an inspiring level of perseverance/stubbornness!
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    hahah
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Thanks to all!!!!

Last 2 levels recorded.....ghetto style using my phone on a tripod :)  Looking at it now - it isn't impressive looking but keep an eye on the wee snipers that appear from the side on the lower half of the screen - they are what make this game such a joy.  The level 7 section looks like it was recorded with a pinhole camera - the joys of recording off a CRT....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpcHXZmlVog
  • Davy, you the man!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!