The B&B Question Of The Day
  • Elmlea wrote:
    Likewise murder, armed robbery, rape, huge levels of fraud; you shouldn't be allowed to get away with it regardless of how someone finds out that you've done it.
    What about through torture? Or if the means themselves are illegal like blackmail? I dunno if Noxy's question was 'should crimes be tried retrospectively?'.
    More 'is scanning everyone's emails a justifiable method of finding criminal activity?'.
    No is my answer to the second question. It's funny that it's always terrorism that is used to justify extraordinary new methods of degrading the treatment of humans by various government organisations.
    It's pretty unlikely that I'm going to be a victim of terrorism. It's just an easier way of introducing the new laws if the public think they'll be used against caricature middle Eastern bad guys, rather than people you see walking around sharing the same streets as you.
    Organised crime is a far greater risk to my safety and well-being. But you can't detain a suspected mob boss or drug dealer for 2 weeks without even charging them.
  • If we were all retrospectively punished for past crimes committed i suspect everyone bar igor would be in prison right now. @adkm. i recall a while ago you told of a friend who accidentally traveled by air with a packet of speed. Would you feel differently if he were punished for this on account of it being documented on the internet? Or if perhaps you lost your job for knowing about it, considering your profession?
    It's not against the law to have been in possession of controlled drugs.  You couldn't punish him now.  Nor could I lose my job since I wasn't a Police officer at the time, and didn't know about it until after the fact.

I do wonder (not directed at anyone here) about how little people know about communications data, and what's classed as 'intrusive' surveillance in that respect.  That the organisations can request telecoms data from mobile companies is nothing new, nor is it exciting.  Interogating a mobile phone for texts, emails, calls etc. to build a case of drug dealing is nothing new.  That's just how it's done.  The lengthy forms filled out to request the data require the acknowledgement of likely collateral intrusion; personal data of innocent third parties, generally.  The fact that somebody might read the telephone number of an innocent party - never knowing who that person is or anything else about them - is classed as intrusive.  The notion that anyone would have the time or inclination to conduct unwarranted research on innocent parties is madness.

As Elm highlights, the authorities recognise that different crimes have different levels of seriousness.  With that comes limits on levels of enquiry carried out, and time bars.  Murder has no time bar, road traffic cases generally have a six month time bar.  Drug possession can't be dealt with retrospectively, certain types of dealing can.
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    The notion that anyone would have the time or inclination to conduct unwarranted research on innocent parties is madness.
    Except for the mass interception and sweeping of e-communications that has been all over the news this year and was specifically what Nox was talking about.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    A big issue for me (if not THE issue) is what we do with people when we DO find them out - either by legal process or other means. If the intention is to enforce these people to make amends by somehow improving their environment instead of locking them up for a while (which sadly is currently the only option for a small hardcore) then the means of their discovery may be looked upon in a different light.

Snooping isn't the issue itself , more the purpose or application to which the information is applied. Kind of obvious I know but it is the issue - and by definition, politicians, or at least those of the current calibre we have and because of structures such as the military-industrial complex and their influence upon them, simply cannot be trusted with such a valuable resource.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    And back to the naming thing and the posh girl mentioned above - in my experience - really , proper posh people, those with class for want of a better word, have in my admittedly limited experience, the ability to show an interest in everyone they meet - and it is done in a seemingly genuine way. Whether it IS genuine or skillfully faked isn't the point - it is pure old-fashioned politeness - and what else are posh people for apart from showing the rest of us a nice way to behave and judiciously spreading some money around if they happen to have it?
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • monkey wrote:
    adkm1979 wrote:
    The notion that anyone would have the time or inclination to conduct unwarranted research on innocent parties is madness.
    Except for the mass interception and sweeping of e-communications that has been all over the news this year and was specifically what Nox was talking about.
    This is exactly what I'm talking about.  If you think anyone is remotely interested in reading your emails etc, you're mental.  Have you stopped to think of the sheer volume of data you're talking about?
  • Your first comment and your second are two different things. My emails could well have been scanned as part of a routine sweep searching for keywords. But no I don't think their actual contents are of any interest to anyone outside of the intended recipients.
  • One of the problems is the precedent it's setting.
  • monkey wrote:
    What about through torture? Or if the means themselves are illegal like blackmail? I dunno if Noxy's question was 'should crimes be tried retrospectively?'. More 'is scanning everyone's emails a justifiable method of finding criminal activity?'

Well, torture and blackmail are extremely tenuous ways of extracting information so I don't think they're viable.  Thing is, like adkm says, they don't just scan everyone's email looking for the words "big drug deal," and upon finding it mount a concentrated surveillance of an individual to the tune of £1000s just in case.

I have a couple of ex-colleagues who work at GCHQ and the security services, and unless anyone on this forum is genuinely involved with a medium-sized terrorist network to the extend of handling bomb components, or harbouring criminals who've entered the country, no-one is going to bother reading your emails.  For stuff like drugs, look at adkm's post; I doubt the police have the authority or time to randomly target people for no reason either.

We're a long way from a situation where GCHQ scan every email, tweet, Facebook post and forum post in the UK, and have the resources to actually investigate every brief mention of possible criminality that comes up.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    On scanning tweets and facebook, I can tell you you're wrong.

Individual police forces do that now.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Elm as a member of the armed forces with access to fast jets and drones you probably shouldn't have typed the following phrases into a single post:

'big drug deal' 

'surveillance'

'medium sized terrorist network' 

'drugs' 

'target people'

It was nice knowing you man!
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    So, what's the problem?
    I don't think the state should be checking what it's citizens are talking about in private correspondence., even to keep them safe. I'll do a quick list off the top of my head for why I think this. 

- Lack of transparency in what is deemed acceptable content
    - Who's business is it but mine and the people I'm writing to?
    - What guarantees do I have that they aren't abusing the power? What safeguards are in place to ensure there's no corruption? What are the checks and balances, that are required in any powerful democratic institution?  
    - Why is terrorism a better reason to invade my privacy than any other crime? 
    - At the moment, all that happens is a brute force scan of word content because that's where the technology is. What happens when computers are capable of a semantic analysis of content? Are the powers rescinded? Will the security services give them up?  
    -Privacy in some circumstances is absolutely essential. What happens when a political prisoner is writing to his lawyer? More on this here  

There's a heap more to object to but it's late and I'm drunk.
  • Elmlea wrote:
    What about through torture? Or if the means themselves are illegal like blackmail? I dunno if Noxy's question was 'should crimes be tried retrospectively?'. More 'is scanning everyone's emails a justifiable method of finding criminal activity?'
    Well, torture and blackmail are extremely tenuous ways of extracting information so I don't think they're viable.  Thing is, like adkm says, they don't just scan everyone's email looking for the words "big drug deal," and upon finding it mount a concentrated surveillance of an individual to the tune of £1000s just in case.
    I'm not saying they do. 
    Elmlea wrote:
     I have a couple of ex-colleagues who work at GCHQ and the security services, and unless anyone on this forum is genuinely involved with a medium-sized terrorist network to the extend of handling bomb components, or harbouring criminals who've entered the country, no-one is going to bother reading your emails.  For stuff like drugs, look at adkm's post; I doubt the police have the authority or time to randomly target people for no reason either. 
    I'm not saying they do. 
    Elmlea wrote:
    We're a long way from a situation where GCHQ scan every email, tweet, Facebook post and forum post in the UK, and have the resources to actually investigate every brief mention of possible criminality that comes up.
    See Beano.

Edit: Although it's worth clarifying that my objections are specifically about (what should be) private correspondence. Publishing something for anyone to look at is a slightly different kettle of fish.
  • My avatar and paranoid stance are in perfect harmony at the moment.
  • Except that Fry wore a foil hat to keep other people's thoughts from bombarding his brain, rather than because he was paranoid about having his thoughts read iirc.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I was just thinking that.

Fuck, this thing's not working.
  • You in fact have the avatar of the NSA's wet dream.
  • Shut up and take my privacy!
  • PRIVACY DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY. GOODNIGHT.
  • Lack of transparency in what is deemed acceptable content
    Innocent, legal discussion is acceptable. Discussion of your involvement in criminal activity is less so.

Who's business is it but mine and the people I'm writing to?
    Well, it's the authorities business if you're writing to criminals about your criminal activity. Otherwise, nobody cares.

What guarantees do I have that they aren't abusing the power?
    Well, you'll never get a guarantee of anything, but there are rules and laws already in existence regarding access to personal information.

What safeguards are in place to ensure there's no corruption?
    Again, you can't ensure anything, but there are already rules and laws in place.

What are the checks and balances, that are required in any powerful democratic institution?
    The rules and laws already in place regarding access to such info.

Why is terrorism a better reason to invade my privacy than any other crime?
    Murder is generally considered the worst crime there is. Mass indiscriminate murder is something most people would rather avoid.

At the moment, all that happens is a brute force scan of word content because that's where the technology is. What happens when computers are capable of a semantic analysis of content?
    We get less false results.

Are the powers rescinded?
    When they're working better? I hope not.

Will the security services give them up?
    Again, hopefully not.

Privacy in some circumstances is absolutely essential. What happens when a political prisoner is writing to his lawyer? More on this here
    Human Rights do not, crucially, extent to a right to privacy. They afford us the right to repect of a private life. That means that your privacy can be invaded, for example, for the prevention or detection of crime. Scanning an email that nobody thee than the recipient will actually read is minimal intrusion.

There's a heap more to object to but it's late and I'm drunk.
    There really isn't, but there we are.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    New question!

Which historical even would you most wish you had witnessed? Can be to verify its veracity, just to experience, whatever
  • Whatever wiped out the dinosaurs would be a good one, if possibly not technically historical.
  • The crucifixion.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • @Adkm

I'm trying not to get into a multi-quote clusterfuck, so I've slimmed down the response a bit, but not avoided it entirely.  What specific rules and laws are you referencing in the first half of your response? And what do they do to prevent abuse?

Murder is generally considered the worst crime there is. Mass indiscriminate murder is something most people would rather avoid. 
    Death count in the last 10 years from terrorism = 50.
    Death count over 30 years from IRA terrorism  = 3000.
    The most severe legislation when the IRA was around was 7 day detention and trial without jury in Northern Ireland for cases related to terrorism. The definition of terrorism was 'violence for political ends'. 
    Legislation since 2000 includes indefinite detention without charge of foreigners, indefinite house arrest without charge, 28 days detention without charge for British citizens, stop and search without suspicion (disproportionately used against ethnic minorities and protestors), banning powers for non-violent political groups. The definition of terrorism is 'action taken to advance any political, religious, racial or ideological cause designed to influence the government of any country or international organisation or to intimidate any member of the public anywhere in the world.' 
    Edit: And, of course, surveillance of the entire population's private communications. 

These are not proportional responses to the threat. 

Source 1
    Source 2 

Are the powers rescinded? 
    When they're working better? I hope not. 

Everyone's got the wrong idea because the sheer volume of data make spying on people impossible, but should it become possible through technological advancement, then we should definitely carry on as then it will really start working. You dope. 

Privacy in some circumstances is absolutely essential. What happens when a political prisoner is writing to his lawyer? More on this here 
    Human Rights do not, crucially, extent to a right to privacy. They afford us the right to repect of a private life. That means that your privacy can be invaded, for example, for the prevention or detection of crime. Scanning an email that nobody thee than the recipient will actually read is minimal intrusion.

No, privacy is not a human right. 'Respect' for privacy is vague enough to be contorted to whatever people want it to mean. Obviously, for me, it doesn't include behaviour like scanning what people are writing to each other in the hope that they find something they want to act on. Anyway, you've managed to dodge that last point through objecting to something that wasn't said. The answer to the question 'What happens when a political prisoner is writing to his lawyer?' is that the state can now see anything they say to each other if they use private but unsecured channels. They can do this regardless of the threat to national security the conversation may have.
  • The crucifixion.

Ha, I was thinking along similar lines,  but more of just seeing if he actually existed.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • AJ wrote:
    Whatever wiped out the dinosaurs would be a good one, if possibly not technically historical.

That has to count as historical, why wouldn't it? Major event in world history that changed it forever.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Well there's natural history and human history. If we're talking about one we're not talking about the other. Not that it really matters for our purposes here.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!