The B&B Question Of The Day
  • lol, fucking epic
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • That is amazing! Absolutely love it.
  • Some very interesting posts last few pages.  This forum has been saved!

Today's (probably dull, sorry Noxxy) question:

What are you planning for the Xmas Day meal?  The usual turkey or something a little more extravagant?  Who cooks it?  Who will you be eating with?  What time do you start drinking?

(A few questions in one there!)
  • The last few years my folks have been away for Christmas and I've cooked a basic Christmas dinner on the day, but my mum still did something about a week before.  This year they're home, so I'm having it at theirs.

Starter is always prawns or smoked salmon (or both) with Marie-Rose sauce that I make, some lettuce and pineapple/melon. Once upon a time we then had turkey broth, but it's a faff for my mum to do for the day and I'm not a big fan, so these days we skip it. The main course is turkey and all the usual trimmings, although we only have bread sauce if my sister-in-law is here. Otherwise it's just gravy and cranberry sauce. I like the carrots, parsnips, roused and mashed tatties, sausages wrapped in bacon and skirlie. I like sausage meat stuffing but that's tended to not be included recently. My mum will often try to upset my happiness by putting a Brussels sprout on my plate, but after 34 years she's eventually coming around to the idea that I'll never find them less than sickening. Dessert is often jerry cheesecake, but this year I've asked for Dime bar dessert. There's always Christmas pudding available in case someone isn't quite full enough yet. Then it's coffee and mince pies / after dinner mints / shortbread / any combination of the above.  My mum will do the vast majority of the prep. She'll get my dad to carve the turkey crown. She'll decline my repeated offers of help.

This year it'll just be the three of us (mum, dad, me) eating. Mum's side of the family will be around in the evening.

I'm not sure when I'll start drinking. Mum sometimes buys bucks fizz, so maybe about noon.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    1m bonus points to tin for doing that letter thing. Genius.

We did the carrot pieces on the drive routine - Rudolf is a messy eater you know. Our kids mind's were poisoned by the Coke ad and so wanted to leave a glass bottle out for Santa. Later I would drink the contents and reseal the bottle to add to the mystery.

I can see what AJ is about but it's all about balance and what you do the rest of the year.

My elder daughter wept hard on being told "the truth" at 11, the younger was wise to the ruse long before we told her and was totally nonplussed. Re the older daughter I am convinced she knew but was deluding herself - I suspect it was more about trusting every word we told her - and there is a valuable lesson in that itself.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I am cooking beef wellington this year for a change.  It will be just me, the wife and baby although in-laws will pop round for a coffee in the morning.

Boxing day is my favourite.  Cold meats, mashed potato, pickles, chilli gherkins and lots of footy on the tv.

I am extremely organised this year too.  All presents are wrapped.  We spent a small fortune in Tesco last night on all of the Xmas food and booze.  We're ready to go!
  • Food:

No starter.

Main.
    Turkey.
    Roast carrots ,parsnips, spuds.
    Stuffing balls.
    Pigs in blankets.
    Brussels cooked in bacon and butter.
    Gravy.
    Not a fan of cranberry jelly.

Pudding.
    Xmas pud which only my Dad eats.
    Fully homemade trifle which is epicly amazing, Dad normally has this too.

Xmas breakfast is the traditional clementine from my stocking, bacon sandwhich and a few bits of chocolate money.

Drink:
    First drink at lunch time then continue throughout the day.
  • I just noticed the obscene amount of bacon I eat on Christmas day :D
  • I never believed in Santa so missed out on a lot of the magic of Christmas. On the plus side, I knew my presets came from my parents. But it is wonderful to see my nieces get all excited on Christmas Eve for Santa and their parents get all giddy when they're sneaking into their room to plant the Christmas stockings at the end of their beds.

For Christmas dinner:

Mentioned elsewhere, but us ladies of the family have the skillset for the food. The family is me, my two sisters, brother, my mum and my two nieces and we have my oldest sister's husband and in laws and the other sister's hubby. Mum and older sister do the cooking, the rest of us do the prepping. Brother in law makes sure that everyone has somehing to drink and the kids aren't running too amok.

Starter is normally prawn cocktail. Last year the younger niece dressed the plates in the most artful way (grab and chuck). Sometimes we have a caramelised onion tart so not sure what's going down this year.

Main: turkey, sprouts, homemade chestnut stuffing, red cabbage, carrots, roasted taters, possibly pigs in blankets, hopefully roast parsnips (glazed in honey and sprinkled with sesame seeds, yum). Condiments: gravy, homemade cranberry sauce, bread sauce.

Desert: Christmas pud and whatever we fancy making for alternatives.

Evening: buffet, some hot canape things, cheese and crackers. Leftover desert. Possibly break out another desert if there was too many to have at dinner.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    tin_robot wrote:
    adkm1979 wrote:
    How the fuck do you do the letter thing, tin?
    Magic.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    As far as they're concerned we had no opportunity to touch them.  That evening I set fire to the letters before their eyes, with them absolutely confident that we'd been snookered...

That's awesome. : )
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • @tin_robot.

That is wonderful tin, absolutely wonderful.
  • Well, @tin_robot is clearly the forum member we'd all want most as our dad. Plus he could see to us when we have Xmas day indigestion. A true hero amongst men. 

I am now going to plot some elaborate scheme for next year. May even do the letter thing now as well.
  • We usually put the kids letters on the fire on Christmas eve, if they reappeared in their stockings it'd blow their tiny little minds. Think I might have to assimilate that family tradition.
  • Tin has made me smile today.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I'm planning on stuffing the turkey's skin with some kind of cheese. Ricotta maybe. There'll be a smoked paprika rub and then that fucker is wrapped in bacon. Stuffing will at least be a whole orange along with cranberries and other things I am uncertain about right now.

There will be no sprouts but there will be purple sprouting broc.

Not thought about anything else, it's all pretty straight forward.

I'm in the kitchen with me brother as sous chef and me mum is there to bother us.

@tin, wow.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • I'm going to a rustic-ish place in the not-really countryside with my parents. I forget what I've ordered exactly, but there's venison on the carvery.
  • I'm going to my younger sister-in-law's, and it'll be the first time I haven't cooked the meal for about ten years.  I can't wait, I'm not even going to help with the spuds.  In keeping with the rest of the sisters, she can't boil an egg, so her boyfriend is in charge of the turkey.  I'm going to start drinking in the car on the way there (in keeping with the rest of the sisters' partners, I can't drive). 

The only disappointment is that Bramble has to stay at home, as my older sister-in-law has already bagsied taking her Rottweiler, and Brams is extremely uncomfortable in his presence and wouldn't enjoy himself at all, the gert Jessie.
  • Doing a ham on Xmas Eve this year. Probably a chicken for the day, since only 3 of us. bacon wrapped sausages, roast potatoes, sweet potatoes, and parsnips, sprouts or cabbage with chestnuts, carrots and peas, stuffing, gravy and cranberry sauce. Homemade Xmas pudding after. Also thinking of making mince pies. Leftover ham and chicken with jacket potatoes on Boxing Day.
  • I've got home made mince pies again this year.  My nan makes them for us.  Far, far nicer than the ones you buy.
  • Yeah my Mum makes them by the hundred every year.
    Cant wait to get home and scoff some. She makes them quite small so you can have a couple with a brew.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I'm making lebkuchen with the wife again this year. They always go down well.
  • And if you can't be bothered to cook a roast this Xmas, go for the easy option
    Spoiler:
  • That is just obscene!
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Poulet confit.
  • That is just obscene!

It's vile isn't it!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!