Zelda
  • The Daddy wrote:
    I'll go back in this afternoon but don't have the patience at the moment!

Hows Skyward Sword going mate?

I didn't get time in the end. Hopefully next week when boy is back in nursery and wife is back in work.

It's a great game but there's some frustrating stuff in there. The control scheme can be annoying, and the stupid sword fairy voice thing can do one! Still, it's a testament to the inherent quality that, even though I hadn't played it in over two years, I slotted right back in where I left off, like a good book.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • They should just bar all the rhythm based music from all zelda games.

I don't think there's a fullproof way of doing it. The howling in twilight is annoying. My biggest enemy was the pan pipes in train zelda blocked the last chunk of game for me.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Hmm, maybe i should play SS...
  • Skyward Sword has you repeat the same dull shit six times over to progress. Hours lost to wandering around the same boring hubs. In the end I gave up. Truly insipid design that was utterly subpar and would have been vilified if it didn't have the big Z on the cover.
  • Nothings topped the comparatively simple Ocarina from... erm... Ocarina.

Miyamoto loves musical instruments though so I doubt we'll see the back of them anytime soon.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • SS is possibly the best Zelda. Tempy was just rubbish.

I was playing Wind Waker recently. That's probably one of the weakest ones.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Who to trust more, Elf or Tempy?  Elf or Tempy?  This really could go either way...
  • People kenned the triforce quest in Wind Waker was boring but lapped up the equivalent in Skyward Sword. Baffling. It was like the game was embarrassed to let you play its dungeons, which were actually great.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Who to trust more, Elf or Tempy?  Elf or Tempy?  This really could go either way...

Trust your own tastes in video games, perhaps??
  • The Bonelich bits in Zack & Wiki takes the prize for the most baffling rhythm action section in anything I've played.  At least the Zelda ones were doable.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Skyward Sword has you repeat the same dull shit six times over to progress. Hours lost to wandering around the same boring hubs. In the end I gave up. Truly insipid design that was utterly subpar and would have been vilified if it didn't have the big Z on the cover.

The sky is an absolute dogshit in the game.

I like what they tried - world zones as puzzle dungeony areas in and of themselves. But re do (particularly swimming for tadpoles) was underwhelming.

I think my overarching feeling was net positive (particularly because of the final dungeon).
  • Muzz is Mr Creosote when it comes to games.
  • Tempy wrote:
    People kenned the triforce quest in Wind Waker was boring but lapped up the equivalent in Skyward Sword. Baffling. It was like the game was embarrassed to let you play its dungeons, which were actually great.

A think with wind waker was it felt so blatantly gutted. Like you get to a dungeon and ta da you're done. After that any padding feels and smells more cynical.
  • Sailing the sea was fun at least, so breaking it up with Triforce hunting never bothered me even though it was mechanically and pacewise a bad idea. I think it was getting to the bloody robot bit in the fire mountain area in Skyward that did me in. What a way to kick momentum to the kerb.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    SS is possibly the best Zelda. Tempy was just rubbish.

I was playing Wind Waker recently. That's probably one of the weakest ones.

Bang on.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    The Bonelich bits in Zack & Wiki takes the prize for the most baffling rhythm action section in anything I've played.  At least the Zelda ones were doable.

Even banger onner.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Wind Waker's strength is nothing to do with its design, it's as by the numbers and rote as the rest of the series, even more so in dungeon design (Mark Brown has the goods on this, again) but its tone and style make it ten times the game. That is unless you're into Zelda as teen epic, which I can understand but personally find boring.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Sailing the sea was fun at least, so breaking it up with Triforce hunting never bothered me even though it was mechanically and pacewise a bad idea. I think it was getting to the bloody robot bit in the fire mountain area in Skyward that did me in. What a way to kick momentum to the kerb.

I guess that's the rub. I found the sea sailing not that interesting, mostly flat and time consuming. I found it annoying to do that stupid flute every two
    Minutes. Also while there was exploration I think for the majority (e.g save a fun game cube island) it was not necessarily that interesting in part because the rewards were just okay I suppose but also because of the grid system, it was possible not to really explore, but tick off a checklist of places to go.
  • The latter checklist issues is a complaint you could level at a lot of games, at least making it a grid removes the barrier of abstraction for those that don't like it.
  • Yeah. I think it has a lot of merits, particularly for a semi completionist like myself, it's certainly very useful. But it did somewhat encourage To view the sea in a mechanical perspective, which meant I was mostly direct point to point efficiently trying to get everywhere. I think once it becomes about looking at every cranny and your sailoring is competent, the perfunctory obstacles in the game are more nuisance than adding much value - but you still have to traverse that length of time and space.
  • I didn't get on with skyward sword at all really. Never finished it as just wasn't enjoying it. Controls, levels, all sorts were not fun.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Re: WW, as Tempy said, the tone and style elevates it. It's timeless in that respect. It's the traversing and the sub-par dungeon design that disappointed me. Specially coming off the back of one of my faves, Majora's Mask. I loved the dungeons in that and the compact design of the map.
  • I really need to play Majora on 3DS as my attempt on emulator was thwarted by the fact that it is very difficult to map the N64 controls over to any kind of modern pad.
  • Do you have it? I can lend you mine.
  • I do not, that would be super generous but I'll have to get back to you on when, can't afford to really play much this semester.
  • Cool. Just let me know, I'm happy to loan it out.
  • I think the reason a lot of people didn't enjoy the sailing in Wind Waker was that they weren't stoned enough. I was and it was sublime.
  • Haha, I have never been stoned but I have been sailing in real life.

@Elf cheers elf, you aren't half as bad as Muzz makes out!
  • The WW redo on wiiu is great as it speeds all the sailing up. I found replaying it a lot to enjoy.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Can confirm: Elf is not actually a cnut :-)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!